Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

pondering theoretical stereo situation.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2000, 06:05 AM
Che

I was just wondering...seeing as how factory bose system's speakers each have own amp.
follow me to this situation...what if you replace factory bose stereo with an aftermarket dead head(no internal built in amp) cd player? would that power the bose speakers? would this theoretical situation work?
the reason I ask is because i want to keep my bose speakers but change head unit only.
anyone tell me if this will work?
i know chad is serious about his stereo....didn't mean to single you out.
any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2000, 06:24 AM

Just replace, no. You have to get these convertors from a company called AudioLink to do it. You'd need the PD4, which sells for $125 at http://www.justcaraudio.com.
Old 09-06-2000, 06:24 AM

No

It wouldn't work because the Bose sucks when it comes
to upgrading.
Old 09-06-2000, 07:05 AM
Che

i see, i guess that's cool....the converter will allow me to use new head unit with bose speakers?
Old 09-06-2000, 07:13 AM

Yes the convertor will work

Altho why do you insist on spending $125 for the
converter, and another $199-$299 for a headunit?

Thats about 300-400 right there, just keep the Bose
and be happy with it.

The Bose was a $900? option?

Old 09-06-2000, 07:18 AM
Che

true

i was gonna throw in my clarion head unit from my eclipse.....but i may have to think about it some more now....thanks for the info
Old 09-06-2000, 07:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Che
I was just wondering...seeing as how factory bose system's speakers each have own amp.
follow me to this situation...what if you replace factory bose stereo with an aftermarket dead head(no internal built in amp) cd player? would that power the bose speakers? would this theoretical situation work?
the reason I ask is because i want to keep my bose speakers but change head unit only.
anyone tell me if this will work?
i know chad is serious about his stereo....didn't mean to single you out.
any thoughts will be appreciated.
I won't work because BOSE uses amps, from what I have been told, that don't use the same resistance rating as traditional speakers use. Ithink the resistance for the BOSE is only 1/2 an OHM, instead of 2 or 4 like normal speakers
Old 09-06-2000, 08:40 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Best upgrade for Bose is add a sub ->

Use an amp that can take high level inputs like most MTX and Rockford Fosgate amp. If the amp you want to use doesn't come with high level inputs, you will have to buy a convertor that turn high level inputs to RCA. Tap the wires after the Bose amp. You can even use the power wire of the stock Bose amp as a remote turn on for your sub amp. The Bose amp doesn't get power unless the Bose headunit is on.
Old 09-06-2000, 09:17 AM

Bose upgrades- this is what i've done

First, what is wrong with the bose headunit? I have a 97 SE with the bose. Its made by clarion, and its tuner section is the best, even out of aftermarket units I've used. Incase you did not know, the bose system uses 2 antennas. One is the powered, and one is in the glass. Take out the headunit and you will see 2 antenna connections. The unit will switch between which one is the best. Second, the bose uses whats known as balanced line audio. Users of professional recording, PA and high end home and car audio should be familiar with this. The positive and negative line level signals run with 5 volts DC going through them. The amps are on the speakers themselves. There are 4 wires going to the amps. 2 are the previously mentioned + and - audio signals. One is ground, and one is switched 12 volts DC (which is great for use as the remote turn on lead). I right now, am running the bose headunit, with 2 15"s Kicker XPL woofers in the trunk, Soundstream 6.5" componenet speakers in the back, and MBQuart speakers in the front, all amplified. I did not have to use any adaptors. How did I do it? I use AudioControl signal processing components, that accept balanced signals, so the audiocontrol components work perfectly with the bose. You just have to do some creative wiring yourself. Everything works perfectly.
Old 09-06-2000, 02:56 PM

Um, why would the Bose head unit be made by Clarion? Then it wouldn't be a Bose would it? The non Bose systems, like the factory one on my GXE was made by Clarion. And that head unit just plain sucked. I don't know how good the Bose is, but the non Bose is pretty bad. I just tore everything out, and replaced it all with aftermarket. Much better.
Old 09-06-2000, 04:15 PM
krell

Re: Bose upgrades- this is what i've done

Correct if I'm wrong.... Balanced connections are for transmission of the analog music signal, not power for the speakers. A home audio balanced cable is (per channel)

1 - Signal
2 - Signal (180 degrees out of phase)
3 - Ground

This allows error correction by comparing the 2 signals at the termination and canceling the difference.

Clarion may mike a decent head unit but Bose speakers are crap. Marketing geniuses yes, good speaker manafacturers no. I've uninstalled enough factory Bose systems from cars to realize that the quality of the drivers (magnets, coils, cone materials, etc) just don't touch components available in the aftermarket.

<QOUTE>home and car audio should be familiar with this. The positive and negative line level signals run with 5 volts DC going through them. The amps are on the speakers themselves. There are 4 wires going to the amps. 2 are the previously mentioned + and - audio signals. One is ground, and one is switched 12 volts DC (which is great for use as the remote turn on lead).</QUOTE>

Old 09-06-2000, 04:23 PM

Bose only makes the speakers!

Originally posted by Shadow
Um, why would the Bose head unit be made by Clarion? Then it wouldn't be a Bose would it? The non Bose systems, like the factory one on my GXE was made by Clarion. And that head unit just plain sucked. I don't know how good the Bose is, but the non Bose is pretty bad. I just tore everything out, and replaced it all with aftermarket. Much better.
The clarion heads are made specially for bose, they perform pretty good until they die (at least in my third gens)
Old 09-06-2000, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
Um, why would the Bose head unit be made by Clarion? Then it wouldn't be a Bose would it?
BOSE is a premier line that is done by Clarion. . . So everything BOSE is actually made by Clarion it just this fact isn't widely known by most people.
Old 10-14-2000, 08:32 AM

BOSE is not owned by Clarion. Bose is its own company.

The Clarion headunits in the Maxima power the BOSE speakers.
Old 10-14-2000, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
BOSE is not owned by Clarion. Bose is its own company.

The Clarion headunits in the Maxima power the BOSE speakers.
You could be right. . . I have been told this by a couple people though (who either service BOSE systems or are avid home audio fans), and I didn't bother to check it out. . . Sorry if I caused any confusion