Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

non bose stock hu prob.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 03:49 PM

non bose stock hu prob.

i have a 2k2 with non bose. an amp is hooked up to 2 subs. my hu has been playing fine, but today it cutout, no music, nothing, yet the hu was still on, and u cpuld change radio stations and volume controls, but no volume. furthermore, when you go to change the bass, treble, etc, it usually does that little sound, it didnt do that sound, but still let me change the bass and treble. so i parked, turn off my car, then turned it back on, and its fine? shuld i get a new radio or have it checked out? i had it on volume 19. it usually plays fine on that.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:23 AM

i had a similar problem w/ my 2k1. hu would turn off after a certain volume. the place that had installed my amp and sub brought it to my attention. when it happened after the sub install, they took what they installed in and it still happened. i think our cars just have a safety feature so not to blow the speakers. i never to it solved so keep us posted w/ ur findings.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:34 AM
Very sound, Mike

slick, that seems to be a known problem with the OEM radio. Well, that and the CD mechanism malfunctions.

Anyway, you can have it replaced under warranty. However, it's on a national back-order. I've been waiting for a month now... so earlier this week i just decided to get a new headunit.

If you decide to go this route, try asking your service manager if you could just go ahead and install an aftermarket unit but still get the replacement for the damaged one when it gets in.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:21 PM

hmm.. thats the exact hu i was gonna buy for my max, but i was afraid of how it would look in the dash. it looks great in yours. did the new hu help make ur stock speakers sound better at all?
Old 08-16-2002, 02:29 PM
Very sound, Mike

Well, i'm not exactly stock anymore. I've got Infinity's all around (including sub). But there is a 100% definite increase in both volume and sound quality from the Alpine. The 4-channel time correction and bass focus plus built-in crossovers have made everything so much easier to configure and set-up. I'm still doing my review of it and will probably do a write-up soon.

The only con that irks me, and i'm sure it will you too - is the display. Anytime there's daylight you'll be hard-pressed to see anything on it. The angle feature is practically useless considering the way our dash slopes in-upwards.

However, for the SQ and features it provides i have yet to see a comparable unit (or higher) that can beat this one.

Here's a pic i took under a shade:
http://dev.rootaxs.com/alpine/two.jpg

Same one but w/ flash turned on (simulates a direct sunlight):
http://dev.rootaxs.com/alpine/three.jpg

Additionally, i've tested it for a couple of days with everything at default settings. Even in that configuration the sound is awesome. In most cases, depending on how sensitive you are to sound, you probably won't need to mess with any of the settings.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:27 PM

sounds good. ill check into it when i get some time. would putting in tweeters in the factory locations help out the sound if i still have the stock hu?
Old 08-17-2002, 08:25 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by slickrick
sounds good. ill check into it when i get some time. would putting in tweeters in the factory locations help out the sound if i still have the stock hu?
When i replaced the stock speakers there was a slight difference in the high's and mid's but not as drastic as when the headunit was replaced.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:55 PM

stock headunits suck.
They never last unless u dont touch them and just listen to stock speakers with em . And that is nothing no one hardly wants to do.
Do yourself and favor and save soem time and buy and decent aftermarket headunit.