Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Experiences with battery death

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 01:05 PM
Sin

Experiences with battery death

I'm still running a piece of crap Motomaster battery the dealership put in when I bought the car. Though the battery is only about 8 months old, it's in BAD shape ever since I installed my car stereo system. Now, when I turn it up, the amps go into safe mode because I'm assuming, there isn't enough power left in the battery for even shallow cycling. Also, my battery seems to drink water like a Kennedy drinks scotch. I have already topped it up twice in a month, (my stereo is only about a month old), and when I do, there is VERY little solution left. Also, the battery's side walls are buckling. It's like my battery is pregnant. I just went to check on it just now, and the top plastic part of the battery is starting to separate from the rest of the battery, and in doing so, is allowing battery acid to leak from all around the top edge of the battery.

I'm assuming my battery is walking dead right now. Thank the lord I'm putting in a Yellowtop tonight or tomorrow. Already paid for it from Richie's group deal, and I'm just waiting for him to pick them up so I can install mine.

The thing is, I'm only running an Alpine MRV-F540 which is 85W x 4, and a Soundstream Reference 500SX which is 250 x 2, for a total of like 840W. And I chewed through this battery in less than a month. Is 840W really that much?

I assumed a Yellowtop would be all I would need to solve all my problems, but I'm beginning to wonder, maybe one yellow top won't be enough.

Anyone with experience/comments?
Old 08-23-2002, 01:22 PM

my current car has a 75 amp alternator (yours has either 100 or 110), and ive hooked up a rockford power 500a2 amp up at 2 ohm mono for about 1300 watts...my battery was a 35 dollar walmart battery, and i never had that problem.

it sounds like the battery is defective, and the sooner you get that out of there, the safer you are.

eric
Old 08-23-2002, 02:30 PM
NAS

When I hooked up my stereo in my previous car, 1200+watts max, the stock battery went kaput fairly quick, I replaced it with a Interstate and never had problems again. Sin I dont understand how a 500a2 pumps out 1300watts when my punch power 800a2 is tested 988watts @ 2ohm's
Old 08-23-2002, 03:46 PM

Re: Experiences with battery death

One yellow top will be more than enough for that power. I have a JBL 1200.1 (1300+ watts) and a Alpine MRV-F307 (close to 200 watts) with a single yellow top and a 1F cap. I also have an Audiobahn 7" widescreen & a PS2. I can bump my stereo and play games for a couple hours and my car will start up no problem. With around 900 watts you should have no problems at all.

Originally posted by Sin
I'm still running a piece of crap Motomaster battery the dealership put in when I bought the car. Though the battery is only about 8 months old, it's in BAD shape ever since I installed my car stereo system. Now, when I turn it up, the amps go into safe mode because I'm assuming, there isn't enough power left in the battery for even shallow cycling. Also, my battery seems to drink water like a Kennedy drinks scotch. I have already topped it up twice in a month, (my stereo is only about a month old), and when I do, there is VERY little solution left. Also, the battery's side walls are buckling. It's like my battery is pregnant. I just went to check on it just now, and the top plastic part of the battery is starting to separate from the rest of the battery, and in doing so, is allowing battery acid to leak from all around the top edge of the battery.

I'm assuming my battery is walking dead right now. Thank the lord I'm putting in a Yellowtop tonight or tomorrow. Already paid for it from Richie's group deal, and I'm just waiting for him to pick them up so I can install mine.

The thing is, I'm only running an Alpine MRV-F540 which is 85W x 4, and a Soundstream Reference 500SX which is 250 x 2, for a total of like 840W. And I chewed through this battery in less than a month. Is 840W really that much?

I assumed a Yellowtop would be all I would need to solve all my problems, but I'm beginning to wonder, maybe one yellow top won't be enough.

Anyone with experience/comments?
Old 08-23-2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by NAS
When I hooked up my stereo in my previous car, 1200+watts max, the stock battery went kaput fairly quick, I replaced it with a Interstate and never had problems again. Sin I dont understand how a 500a2 pumps out 1300watts when my punch power 800a2 is tested 988watts @ 2ohm's
my birthsheet said 692 @ 4 ohm, and i was guessing that itd do close to 1300 at 2 ohm...

i have a friend with a power 800a2, and his was in the high 900's @ 4 ohm. i think you have more power on tap than you think

eric
Old 08-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Sin

Originally posted by NAS
I was thinking the same thing, but since I'm not a big RF fan, and don't really pay attention to them much beyond the 1000W monoblock I am thinking of getting, I figured, he'd know better than I. But I guess he was wrong after all.