Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

want new mono amp with cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 02:02 AM

want new mono amp with cooling fan

hey maxima community, i come from the nissan frontier forum and i hoping you guys could help me out here since the frontier members didn't answer my question so i decide to come here. well i need a new mono amp with at least a cooling fan built in it. i have a kicker comp vr and i was pushing it with a 450watt kenwood kac-819 which i later found out it was crap. after 2 weeks of using it, it over-heats real bad and it shuts down on me alot. the sub would turn off for about 5 seconds and then come back on. i felt the amp and it was pretty hot. it does feel like it the amp is shutting down cuz thats the only thing thats powering my sub. so what mono amp do you guys would recommend to buy within a resonable price range and probably around that 450 wattage area or just a little bit more will be ok. well, i hope i get a response here
Old 08-25-2002, 08:07 AM

Re: want new mono amp with cooling fan

Originally posted by pdc001
hey maxima community, i come from the nissan frontier forum and i hoping you guys could help me out here since the frontier members didn't answer my question so i decide to come here. well i need a new mono amp with at least a cooling fan built in it. i have a kicker comp vr and i was pushing it with a 450watt kenwood kac-819 which i later found out it was crap. after 2 weeks of using it, it over-heats real bad and it shuts down on me alot. the sub would turn off for about 5 seconds and then come back on. i felt the amp and it was pretty hot. it does feel like it the amp is shutting down cuz thats the only thing thats powering my sub. so what mono amp do you guys would recommend to buy within a resonable price range and probably around that 450 wattage area or just a little bit more will be ok. well, i hope i get a response here

heres my suggestion.

1. Check to see that the wires are of a proper gauge
2. make sure the amp has sufficient ventilation
3. hit up Pearl96Max he probally can get you anything you need under the sun for 12volt audio at great prices
Old 08-25-2002, 08:58 AM

is the thermal problem the only thing bothering you? if so, get a relay, and a good 12 volt fan (i have a 7k rpm-50+cfm fan from a computer ) and build a good amp rack around that with a fan. dont spend money you dont need to spend when a 15 dollar fan, and a 4 dollar relay/harness will do just as good.

eric
Old 08-25-2002, 11:16 AM

cool thanx, i put the amp under my jump seat. so i guess that traps all the heat the amp produces but i've seen some people put thier amp under thier seats and have no problems. i figure i could do the same without any problems only with a jump seat. i am using 8 gauge power wire and ground wire. the connections seems fine. i was thinking of putting a cooling fan too. where do you put it? inside of the amp? thanx for the replies. oh yah 1 more thing, i love the maxima. i wanted one before my frontier but my frontier was a graduation present they're both bad@$$ cars/trucks!