Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Best Buy and Circuit City remote start issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 03:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Best Buy and Circuit City Remote Start Issues

Man, I have had one heck of a time finding a remote system I like...then to get it installed takes an act from god I guess. Circuit City said yeah, show up tommorow, Sunday, and it's first come first serve. Money in hand, and hour early to make sure I was the FIRST.. I sat out front waiting for em to open the doors. I get back in the install shop, and they tell me that they have some Jag in there, and cannot help me out all day. So what I did then, was turn to their competition..Best Buy.

They had a really nice Clifford system I liked, so I made an appointment for installation, and even was going to come pay for it a day early for them. The installation was supposed to be tommorow, but when I got there they now sprung on me that it was gonna cost me an extra $200 to purchase the system. They said that the tech should never had quoted the amount that I agreed to pay, he doesnt deal with selling the products....in my mind I dont give a flyin rats #$% who tells me, there are a B.B. employee quoting me a price. After a few heartfelt words, I left the store still with my wad of money.

So now I am on my third company, I am going to a local auto sound shop..wish me luck. Too all you out there trying to beat the winter...good luck.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:15 PM

well me running my own shop at BestBuy i never would have quoted you $200 for the install. The other thing, NEVR listen to the sales floor reps, they have no clue when it comes down to extra parts for your install. Unless they are experianced installers, then i wouldnt question them.

Install on a basic alarm is $99 + any extra parts.
heres some typical install parts for a basic car alarm:

1) merc switch $15.99
2) wire loom $3.99
3) relay for the trunk pop $12.99

TOTAL: $132.97 + tax for your install!!

EXTRA Acessories(reccomended):
4) 10 gauge power flo kit $16.99 (remote start systems only)
5) battery back-up $39.99
6) mini pezo siren $15.99
7) 508d zone sensor $99.99

goodluck,
Ant
Old 09-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ny96max
well me running my own shop at BestBuy i never would have quoted you $200 for the install. The other thing, NEVR listen to the sales floor reps, they have no clue when it comes down to extra parts for your install. Unless they are experianced installers, then i wouldnt question them.

Install on a basic alarm is $99 + any extra parts.
heres some typical install parts for a basic car alarm:

1) merc switch $15.99
2) wire loom $3.99
3) relay for the trunk pop $12.99

TOTAL: $132.97 + tax for your install!!

EXTRA Acessories(reccomended):
4) 10 gauge power flo kit $16.99 (remote start systems only)
5) battery back-up $39.99
6) mini pezo siren $15.99
7) 508d zone sensor $99.99

goodluck,
Ant
best buy sux, i worked there for a year and they take forever to get anything done and all they care baout is those damn PSP and assessory, goto a trusted local shop that isn't into f_in u over, a local shop installed mine for 50 bucks and did a damn good job.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by 88MaximaSE

best buy sux, i worked there for a year and they take forever to get anything done and all they care baout is those damn PSP and assessory, goto a trusted local shop that isn't into f_in u over, a local shop installed mine for 50 bucks and did a damn good job.
well, on an average day ill do 2-5 alarm/remote starters on top of any same day decks, amps and or speakers. So I guess your supervisor and yourself had no clue how to install!!

Ant
Old 09-17-2002, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by ny96max

well, on an average day ill do 2-5 alarm/remote starters on top of any same day decks, amps and or speakers. So I guess your supervisor and yourself had no clue how to install!!

Ant

actually i worked in the tech bench where crap got done fast. anyone who has shopped at best buy knows it take 30 mintues just to get a subwoofer, after they finally come to you and blab about the damn psp and thick wire, they then take 10 minutes getting it off the shelf which half the time is out of stock. circuit city is better, fast service and quality products (infinity).
Old 09-18-2002, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by 88MaximaSE

actually i worked in the tech bench where crap got done fast. anyone who has shopped at best buy knows it take 30 mintues just to get a subwoofer, after they finally come to you and blab about the damn psp and thick wire, they then take 10 minutes getting it off the shelf which half the time is out of stock. circuit city is better, fast service and quality products (infinity).
what store do you work in..? Yeah its true that we are told to offer PSP/PRP and accessory, but to bennifte the customer and copany.
If the customer takes the product home and they dont have the proper cables, acc to make the products work to their best capability. And things out of stock, where when there a time there wasnt a product that you wanted and others also and just overwelm the supply.. That is the business, you remember economics 101 Supply VS Demand. I dont think that BEst buyu is a bad place at all. yes i work in one, but you have to see the bigger picture. Circuit City works on commision, they are on your butt all the time until you buy something. Some of those personell dont even know what they are talking about most of the time. and they just wander around aimlessly. Best buy has dedicated personel in every department. we have fun and make certain that customers get a great shopping experience. I am now looking into a system and my fellow peers are great with the help in my Team Mobile Department. Now i just need some second hand help and experience before i by anything from my Best buy store.
in which i will post in another thread. Basically two 12in subs rockfords maybe a 500 rockafords amp, or kenwood 1000 amp, and all the cabling cap and etc. for like 500 bucks, also the box... just dont know whether to go with sealed or ported.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:00 AM

Advice for new guy

I'm purchasing a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th anniversary Edition, and I pick it up on Friday.

It doesn't come with Bose, it comes with the standard factory system, which seemed pretty weak.

I scanned the FAQ list above, and some of the links aren't working right, so please forgive me if this question is out of place or a repeat.

I'm getting rid of my pos 1995 Neon (its last breakdown was the reason for the purchase). I had a Sony X-Plod CD receiver in it, and 2 rear Sony 6x9 3-way speakers. They were purchased from Best Buy , and I thought their install was OK, but again, that car rattled so much, I'd never know. I bought the plan that will let you take the car back to them, and they will put the factory speakers/stereo back in, and put the Sony's in the new car.

It doesn't look either will fit in the Maxima without mods. From what I read, Maximas already seem prone to rattles, and I'm not sure I want to increase the chance of those. That stock head unit looks twice the height (roughly) of the Sony.

1. Will they use some kind of filler, and will it look bad/increase rattle chances?

2. What about the 6x9's? Will they put them in the doors somehow?

3. If I do go with them, will the steering wheel controls work? I saw something on how to do it myself, but will Best Buy know how?

I know its nowhere near the best system, but it does sound better than the stock.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:02 AM

Well,

Best Buy has answered my questions:

1. They can install the CD with some kind of "tray" or "pocket" to cover the other "din" (new to this), but he recommended going by a Nissan dealer, and buying one from them, b/c "they have a better tray."

2. If I put a new stereo in, the wheel controls will not work.

Is number 2 really, really true???

If so, then I'm going to stick with stock and suffer, I suppose. I'd hate to lose one of the neat features of a car new to me.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:12 AM

OK, I'm answering my own questions, somewhat...I found some posts about a "PAC SWI adapter."

1. Will audio shops be able to install this for me? I really don't want to do any of my own installation, as I've never done it before, and don't want a thing messed up.

2. Do Nissan Dealerships do aftermaket stereo installs? I know, I know, but do they?
Old 09-18-2002, 11:15 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by cedarpark
OK, I'm answering my own questions, somewhat...I found some posts about a "PAC SWI adapter."

1. Will audio shops be able to install this for me? I really don't want to do any of my own installation, as I've never done it before, and don't want a thing messed up.

2. Do Nissan Dealerships do aftermaket stereo installs? I know, I know, but do they?
yes, car audio shops should be able to install it. Or you can buy it and see if best buy will install it for you at the same time installing your cd player
Old 09-19-2002, 05:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

best buy right now I think is offering four speekers for free with purchase of headunit....speakers are most likely junk though
Old 09-19-2002, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by MaxWolf
best buy right now I think is offering four speekers for free with purchase of headunit....speakers are most likely junk though
yeah when i worked at best buy *shivers* I bought the kenwood 1000watt amp, its real good, with the 1F CAP, and 2 rockford 12, ported is better. i wish best buy had good speakers. it barely hits that well