Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Looking to replace front Bose speakers in my 96. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Looking to replace front Bose speakers in my 96. Suggestions?

I am looking to replace front Bose speakers in my 96. I will be using a Rockford 100a2 (25w RMS per channel) to do so. Can I run an inexpensive set of components, or am I better off buying higher-quality coaxials? Also, what is the impedence on the stock Bose tweets? Is it 1-2 ohm like the other speakers in the system?

Suggestions? I am looking to spend around $100. I will order online/eBay if I have to, but would rather buy authorized. These will eventually be moved to the rear (even if I just dump the tweeters in the event that I get components).

I have considered the base- or mid-line RF components or coaxials, and infinity reference or kappa series components OR coaxials. Also, Polk dB6s, and anything BUT Sony.

Suggestions?
Old 10-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Looking to replace front Bose speakers in my 96. Suggestions?

Originally posted by phenryiv1
I am looking to replace front Bose speakers in my 96. I will be using a Rockford 100a2 (25w RMS per channel) to do so. Can I run an inexpensive set of components, or am I better off buying higher-quality coaxials? Also, what is the impedence on the stock Bose tweets? Is it 1-2 ohm like the other speakers in the system?

Suggestions? I am looking to spend around $100. I will order online/eBay if I have to, but would rather buy authorized. These will eventually be moved to the rear (even if I just dump the tweeters in the event that I get components).

I have considered the base- or mid-line RF components or coaxials, and infinity reference or kappa series components OR coaxials. Also, Polk dB6s, and anything BUT Sony.

Suggestions?
i just changed all 4 of my non-bose speakers today...i went with the infinity reference 6 1/2 component system for the front and infinity kappa 6 3/4 for the rear. i am running them off my sony head unit, not an external amp like you are planning....they sound amazing w/o an amp. i would recommend the infinity components and speakers. by the way i flush mounted the tweeters where the stock bose tweeter location is in the door.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:37 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Anyone have any suggestions? I will entertain offers to sell used speakers, if they are cheap. Let me know what you guys think I should run here.

In the end, I MIGHT use my Punch 200 for the fronts and leave the 100a2 on the sub, only b/c it is sounding pretty good right now running w/ the 100a2 on the 12" XLC. The only bad part is the trunk rattle...
So hit me up with suggestions. I have a few component sets in mind, buy what about coaxials? I have never compared those, so I do not know where to start. Also, do I want to go w/ coaxials or components?
Old 10-16-2002, 04:59 PM

Re: Looking to replace front Bose speakers in my 96. Suggestions?

Originally posted by phenryiv1
I am also trying to decide on similarly priced coax's. I am currently considering: Focal Polyflex 165HC, Diamond M361, Boston RX67, Crystal Mobilesound CSx615, Infinity Kappa 652.5i. All can be purchased for around $100 on ebay. The Crystal's can be purchased for $100 authorized. Hope this helps at least as a starting point. I recomend listening to as many as you can in person, as people's tastes differ.