Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Amp wont turn on for CD's!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 07:22 PM

Amp wont turn on for CD's!

I need some help connecting my amp to radio. When I turn the radio on with a CD, the amp will not turn on. When I turn the radio tuner on, the amp powers up and the sub works. So I am only getting bass for the radio stations. I think it might have something to do with where I connected the remote wire for the amp. I hooked it up to the power antenna wire, and think maybe the car sends a signal through the wire to turn on/off(up/down) the power antenna. I think maybe it is sending on/off messages to the amp at the same time. What wire should i wire this into if that is the problem? Can I hook it up to any of the orange illumination wires, or can I hook it up to the red power wire possibly?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:26 PM

Yeah I did this one once. You connected the antenae out lead to the rempte turn on lead. I figured it out by hooking a DMM up to the harness and finding out which wire is 12V when the radio is on. I think it was a mix up with a blue wire and a blue/white wire.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:46 PM
PoweredbyNissan

Re: Amp wont turn on for CD's!

Originally posted by ignentchoker
I need some help connecting my amp to radio. When I turn the radio on with a CD, the amp will not turn on. When I turn the radio tuner on, the amp powers up and the sub works. So I am only getting bass for the radio stations. I think it might have something to do with where I connected the remote wire for the amp. I hooked it up to the power antenna wire, and think maybe the car sends a signal through the wire to turn on/off(up/down) the power antenna. I think maybe it is sending on/off messages to the amp at the same time. What wire should i wire this into if that is the problem? Can I hook it up to any of the orange illumination wires, or can I hook it up to the red power wire possibly?
Holy cow, whatever you do, DONT hook the remote wire up to your red power wire! That will fry the amp for sure. I did that once, connected the remote wire to the + terminal on my amp and red power wire to my remote terminal on my amp. The sucker burned..... You can probabaly go for one of the wires in teh ignition for ur remote. Like in movies where ppl are stealing cars, they rip out some wires under the steering wheel....one of those shoudl work fine.

Old 10-18-2002, 02:18 PM

Re: Re: Amp wont turn on for CD's!

alright this is a simple fix first if you have a bose system you already have several seperate amps in the car two in the trunk and one in each front door. just splice into the remote wire on one of those amps.And if you dont have the bose system dont go trying to mess with your ignition. just remove your head unit and take a dmm (digital multimeter) turn the car on acc and test for a 12v supply other than the constant, usually red or yellow depending on car. if this doesn't work, you caan run your remote wire to the battery wire on the amp only problem is the amp will not shut off when car is off so you will need to hook up some sort of switch. you will not blow your amp this way.