Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

whoa! amp question!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 10:30 AM

whoa! amp question!

i just ordered the alpine 7998 hu and it has no internal amp. i want to get two 2-channel amps and i was lookin at PGs, specifically the new ti.1000.2. the amp says it is rated at:
* 100 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms Stereo @ 12.5 Vdc
* 250 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms Stereo @ 14.4 Vdc
my question is how do u increase the DC input voltage? i want to get 2 pairs of Dyna 340s and they recommend 200 watts rms power. so i need to in crease the maps power. how can i do this? any and all input is appreciated. i know we got some amp experts here according to the alternator post from a while ago....
Old 11-03-2002, 10:40 AM

Re: whoa! amp question!

Originally posted by InfamousOrange
i just ordered the alpine 7998 hu and it has no internal amp. i want to get two 2-channel amps and i was lookin at PGs, specifically the new ti.1000.2. the amp says it is rated at:
* 100 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms Stereo @ 12.5 Vdc
* 250 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms Stereo @ 14.4 Vdc
my question is how do u increase the DC input voltage? i want to get 2 pairs of Dyna 240 estotecs and they recommend 200 watts rms power. so i need to in crease the maps power. how can i do this? any and all input is appreciated. i know we got some amp experts here according to the alternator post from a while ago....

they give 2 values for 2 reasons. 1) 14.4 volts is the ideal automotive dc voltage which is never really achieved do to accessories causeing voltage drops. 2) 12.5 volts is usually less than the actual voltage that ur car is putting out. Usually the dc voltage present is around 13.8 volts. there isnt much u can do to increase voltage save from using a voltage regulator.

i would say that if the speakers are rated for 200 watts rms then u should be good with this setup. ur amp should put out close to that rated power of 200 watts rms per channel
Old 11-03-2002, 10:41 AM

thanks....

thanks.....but maybe i should wait for tl@altimas.net.... jk man
Old 11-04-2002, 12:04 AM

hey what's that supposed to mean! I'd have to agree with friendhasmax on this one..

anyway, those numbers are a bit strange. a 15% increase in input voltage invoking a 150% increase in output leaves me doubting..

ugh, I can't get PG's page to work right.. I guess I'd wait for a proper review..

and you can increase system voltage.. there are some external converters that will do it.. ($$$) or you can buy an alternator with an adjustable regulator.. ($$$)

on the budget side of things, you can always upgrade all your cables. I tested when I added my 0ga alternator-to-battery cable and saw a .2v improvement.. and according to PG, that's worth 16 watts alone
Old 11-04-2002, 12:36 AM
jmax

Originally posted by TL@altimas.net
hey what's that supposed to mean! I'd have to agree with friendhasmax on this one..

anyway, those numbers are a bit strange. a 15% increase in input voltage invoking a 150% increase in output leaves me doubting..

ugh, I can't get PG's page to work right.. I guess I'd wait for a proper review..

and you can increase system voltage.. there are some external converters that will do it.. ($$$) or you can buy an alternator with an adjustable regulator.. ($$$)

on the budget side of things, you can always upgrade all your cables. I tested when I added my 0ga alternator-to-battery cable and saw a .2v improvement.. and according to PG, that's worth 16 watts alone
Yes, proper wiring is the key to getting the higher DC voltage to your amps. Reground the battery to chassis and chassis to engine. 12.5 volts is what teh typical battery outputs. 13.8 volts is about the minimum charging voltage. 14.4 volts is where most alternators are regulated. Also use as thick of wire as you can afford to run from the battery to the trunk. You can probably go to an electrical or welding shop and get really thick wire for much less than the stuff the car audio shops sell. I've tested my voltage at the amp terminals with stock and O.G. alternator and it seems to never drop below 14.4 volts with the engine running. 15 farads of capacitance might have a little to do with this . If you are planning to use both amps for components I would get a single 4 channel amp. Or a much smaller amp for the rear channels. Regardless of how much power you send the dyn's they won't get nearly as loud without proper placement.