Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Kicker Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 08:49 AM

Kicker Sucks

I had 2 Eclipse Titanium DVC 12" and decided i wanted a different sound so i went with a kicker dx700 amp and a 12" L7.

After 4 days of the amp cutting in and out i took the brand new amp in for REAPIR. I got it back, then 2 months later the amp kept losing power, so i took it in for the 2nd repair...seems kicker themselves messed up in repairing the amp and "forgot" to add a few resistors and stuff and soldier a few wires. I just got the amp back a few days ago everything seemed fine until i noticed a electric smell IT WAS THE SUB BURNING. The amp is turned down to little less then half...

i dunno what to do there customer service is beyond horrable, when i take my amp in its returned a month later twice, my subs being cooked by a faulty amp and they wont replace it.

I work for a company that deals with kickers alter stuff called Jamo (there home theatre speakers) and there rep told me to go to their head office, i can drive to kickers Toronto and surrounding area head office but why should i have to do all this for such a reputable company?

in short kicker sucks and when i get this stuff fixed i will sell it and go find a new system to buy
Old 11-06-2002, 10:51 AM

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your Kicker stuff.

I must say though that I have had 2 of their amps in my car for over a year and a half now without any incident. The ZR360 that I have runs my interior speakers and it performs wonderfully. I also have a DX700 powering a pair of JL Audio 10W3's and that has performed flawlessly as well.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience with your Kicker equipment has been less than satisfying. However I think that the generalization that all Kicker equipment "sucks" is a bit of a stretch.

Hopefully the next system you purchase will satisfy you!
Old 11-06-2002, 12:03 PM

oh i forgot to add that i bought 2 dx700 and they both had the same probs but i sold the other amp ahaha so i dont have that one for a problem
Old 11-06-2002, 06:08 PM

That sucks to hear, but in generel that is rare.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:30 PM

did you buy these new at a retail shop, or were they internet purchases?

eric
Old 11-07-2002, 10:36 AM
STFU n00b!

It doesn't matter what the gain settings were on the amp.. is the REST of your system up to par?

what size power cables? are you blowing fuses?
are you running the amp into clipping all the time?

I have NEVER been able to hurt a kicker amp, and the only sub I ever fried was when I flipped the wrong switch on some test equipment and fed a 600W square wave into a sub. turned the voice coil into a slinky.
other than that, I've never had a component failure and I run my equipment HARD.

check everything else in your system before you start blaming the amps on being poor quality. I'll bet you there's nothing wrong with the amps that was caused by the factory. Kicker makes excellent quality stuff that takes a maniac to destroy.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
It doesn't matter what the gain settings were on the amp.. is the REST of your system up to par?

what size power cables? are you blowing fuses?
are you running the amp into clipping all the time?

I have NEVER been able to hurt a kicker amp, and the only sub I ever fried was when I flipped the wrong switch on some test equipment and fed a 600W square wave into a sub. turned the voice coil into a slinky.
other than that, I've never had a component failure and I run my equipment HARD.

check everything else in your system before you start blaming the amps on being poor quality. I'll bet you there's nothing wrong with the amps that was caused by the factory. Kicker makes excellent quality stuff that takes a maniac to destroy.
there is never clipping, i use 4 gauge wire..thats what the amp holds. My ground is 4 gauge...speaker wire is 12 gauge inside and out. I have a Blade fuse with a a blade fuse holder. and i have audioquest rca cables.

the person i sold the amp to (brand new in a box) had the exact same problem as me so u cant tell me i did something wrong to the amp.

i have never had this problem with my eclipse equipment so i can say kicker sucks, im a paying customer i have a right to say that
Old 11-07-2002, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by nismo240sx
did you buy these new at a retail shop, or were they internet purchases?

eric
retail
Old 11-08-2002, 05:46 AM

Again, I think you definitely have experienced what we call an isolated experience. From what Matt said and from my experience, Kicker doesn't make bad products. Like I said, I've had my equipment in my ride for over 2 years now without any kind of incident.

I just think that your blanket statement that Kicker sucks is a bit extreme. If you are truely upset about their products, I would make a trip out to there facility and try to talk to someone. I'm sure they will want to try and rectify this situation.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Dustyroads
Again, I think you definitely have experienced what we call an isolated experience. From what Matt said and from my experience, Kicker doesn't make bad products. Like I said, I've had my equipment in my ride for over 2 years now without any kind of incident.

I just think that your blanket statement that Kicker sucks is a bit extreme. If you are truely upset about their products, I would make a trip out to there facility and try to talk to someone. I'm sure they will want to try and rectify this situation.
thats the thing they dont want to i live 20 mins from there places and they wont fix my problem or give me a new amp or anything

therefore kicker STILL sucks
Old 11-08-2002, 08:47 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by Unibomber

thats the thing they dont want to i live 20 mins from there places and they wont fix my problem or give me a new amp or anything

therefore kicker STILL sucks
I think your experience is way to open to judge the entire company. I have been dealing with Kicker for about 10-12 years now, and have yet to have problems to this level. If it is happening, then it can be just a few bad amps off the product line...

If you and a friend both buy Maximas, and the engine blows, does this mean NISSAN is crap? Definately not.

I can appreciate your standpoint as a customer, and an angry one at that, but dont beat up the whole company for a somewhat isoalted incident....

--Don
Old 11-10-2002, 01:54 AM

I have a DX700 and it has been an awesome amp for well over a year... I have also experimented with many of Kicker's subs, including solobaric L7's, and currently their XPL's - - and have had no problems.. i'm sorry to hear you had bad experiences, but kicker in general i think is pretty good, and i cant complain one bit about the products i have purchased from them. hope your luck gets better
Old 11-10-2002, 08:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i've had a few zr's over the years and now a few kx amps and a l7 - never one problem. it's been pretty bulletproof for me. i think as everyone's been saying - your incident seems to be an isolated one.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:09 AM

not sure if im reading this right, but if you had two amps on on L7 one per coil, and the amps arnt made to be strappable, that might be a source of your problem

not sure if that is what you were doing
BTW why go from 2 titaniums to one L7?
Old 11-10-2002, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

I think your experience is way to open to judge the entire company. I have been dealing with Kicker for about 10-12 years now, and have yet to have problems to this level. If it is happening, then it can be just a few bad amps off the product line...

If you and a friend both buy Maximas, and the engine blows, does this mean NISSAN is crap? Definately not.

I can appreciate your standpoint as a customer, and an angry one at that, but dont beat up the whole company for a somewhat isoalted incident....

--Don

I hope this is an isolated incident, as I have recently bought a kicker amp (kx800.4). This is my first amp purchase and I'm also in the process of installing it. I'm not very worried, just a little concerned. Then again, I've heard more good things about kicker than bad. To my knowlegde I believe this is the first time I've heard a kicker amp go bad.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:02 PM
STFU n00b!

Of all the years I've messed with car audio (getting close to 10 now), I've only seen ONE bad kicker amp, and it was due to a poor installation.
Kicker is also REALLY popular around here, since the company is only about 1.5 hours from here. Many of the top installers at the local shops get pro install jobs for Kicker after a few years.

Rob Rice, the national champion for the last xxxx years has ALWAYS used Kicker amps and subs. Of course, that car sits on the showroom floor 250 days out of the year, but still.
You'd think if they were a bad product that they wouldn't sell the zillions of products that they do.
Then again, Ford is still one of the top selling automakers in the world..
Old 11-11-2002, 09:14 AM

Rob Rice, the national champion for the last xxxx years has ALWAYS used Kicker amps and subs. Of course, that car sits on the showroom floor 250 days out of the year, but still.
You'd think if they were a bad product that they wouldn't sell the zillions of products that they do.
Then again, Ford is still one of the top selling automakers in the world..
Just to add this, Rob, Gary Biggs, and Mark Eldridge all use it, but it's all prototype stuff.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by TylerBorg
not sure if im reading this right, but if you had two amps on on L7 one per coil, and the amps arnt made to be strappable, that might be a source of your problem

not sure if that is what you were doing
BTW why go from 2 titaniums to one L7?

i have 1 amp on my L7 not 2 i had 2 dx700 cuz the price was right, sold one after i bought them and the guy that took the amp from me had the exact same problem. Guess it was a bad batch of amps or something i dunno.

i went from eclipse - kicker because i just wanted 1 12" in my trunk now i regreat getting rid of my eclispe they were loud and TIGHT ahh well
Old 11-11-2002, 10:52 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by max'n out

Just to add this, Rob, Gary Biggs, and Mark Eldridge all use it, but it's all prototype stuff.
That's because Gary Biggs worked in Rob Rice's shop (and on his car) for the last ohhh, 5 or 6 years.

He's now working AT Kicker as one of their full-time creative geniuses (of which he rightfully is).
I saw his car go together over the last few years and it's truly an amazing piece of work.

Anyway, back to the point.. Kicker makes very high quality stuff. yeah, there's a chance that you got a bum amp, but I highly doubt it. that you would get TWO bum amps (you and your friend) makes it even less likely.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:31 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Just out of curiosity....where did you originally get the amps from??

--Don
Old 11-12-2002, 08:06 AM

PreCor in toronto...there toronto's seller of kicker for all of the gta and surronding area = retail stores buy from them
Old 11-12-2002, 02:08 PM

That's because Gary Biggs worked in Rob Rice's shop (and on his car) for the last ohhh, 5 or 6 years.

He's now working AT Kicker as one of their full-time creative geniuses (of which he rightfully is).
I saw his car go together over the last few years and it's truly an amazing piece of work.

Anyway, back to the point.. Kicker makes very high quality stuff. yeah, there's a chance that you got a bum amp, but I highly doubt it. that you would get TWO bum amps (you and your friend) makes it even less likely.
I'm well aware of all of that. I just don't think you should drop big names of guys that use equipment that isn't sold as is.