Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Putting the Box in the Trunk (WTF?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 05:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Putting the Box in the Trunk (WTF?)

Ok, the jacka$$ that owned the car before me treated my maxima like shiat, just to say that now. The second day I owned it, I went out and bought 4 Boston Acoustic speakers and replaced all four and used my lovely Alpine 7873 Head Unit. Last night (11/6) I FINALLY ran the rest of the wires (RCA was the only thing left) and started to hookup my shiat.

PROBLEM: The carpet is not pinned down or whatever, so it slides around all over the place, which has "Bad Situation" written all over it. Second problem is that that piece of cardboard that covers the spare tire in the trunk was warped when I bought the car so that was just ****ing me off because it made the carpet moved around even more.

NEEDED: I need some sort of solution. I tried to place the bandpass box in a spot so that it wouldn't move all that much, but now it looks all ghetto and that ain't cool. Any and all help is very appreciated.

I have a 4th Gen BTW.

BlueBOB
Old 11-07-2002, 06:15 AM

for the cardboard, you can take it out and use it as a template to cut a piece of plywood to size. Then on the bottom side of the plywood, attach 1 diagonal piece of wood that will rest on the spare tire. It'll prevent the sagging.
As for the carpet...maybe try to velcro the edges down?
Jae
Old 11-07-2002, 07:41 AM

Well, there's a problem with that. Last week I blew a tire and in pure frustation I threw the cardboard piece and left it in some parking lot to rot. It was really warped, so I don't think it would have been much help anyway. Putting a diagnol piece is a good idea, but I think i'll go a step further and put two diagnols for better support.

As for the carpet, it really doesn't have any velcro things on it surprisingly. Hell the shape of the carpet doesn't even seem to line up with ANYTHING. It's really weird. I might have to go buy new carpet for the back and cut it myself. **** carpetting may look pimp... hehe j/k.

Thanks for the info.

BlueBOB
Old 11-07-2002, 10:18 AM
STFU n00b!

when you get the carpet replaced or whatever, use some of those foam carpet pads underneath it to keep it from sliding around. it's the same stuff you can buy at sears in black to put in your toolbox.. just some loose woven cloth dipped in something so it's like a big web of foam rubber.

Anyway, you can pick it up at wal-mart around the rugs and stuff, or in the housewares area as shelf lining. it comes in several colors, so find one that matches. (don't use pink! )
that should keep the carpet from sliding around back there.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:34 PM

That's definitly a good idea. Home Depot also sells it dirt cheap. I promise you I won't use Pink . Most likely a black.

I could even staple that stuff down to whatever material I use to replace that crappy cardboard thing that covers the spare tire. That would make it really efficient.

Out of curiosity I'd be curious if anyone here did there own custom box. I want to still be able to install a rear strut bar later but want a custom box built into the trunk. I was thinking about that in class just now. That could be fun.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:43 PM

well you can use the carpet as a mold.

home depo get some particle board. and carpet from stereo shop and you can customize your trunk.

make like a trap door or a piece you can easily remove for your spare. who thing should take half a day.

things needed
can of 3m spray on adhesive $8
a sheet of mdf particle board $25
carpet stereo shop. belive $5 per sq yard
some wood screws. and you can customize your trunk.

i have done this in serveral of my friends cars.
and you can mount your box right on to the new trunk.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:49 PM
STFU n00b!

I've built several boxes for my Max and others... I got tired of not having any trunk space, so I went with free-air subs this time. now I've got 5 amps and a 2F cap back there, along with my pair of 12" subs, and I'm taking up less room now than I did with ONLY the 10" subs back there- not to mention the additional space needed by the amp rack.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
I've built several boxes for my Max and others... I got tired of not having any trunk space, so I went with free-air subs this time. now I've got 5 amps and a 2F cap back there, along with my pair of 12" subs, and I'm taking up less room now than I did with ONLY the 10" subs back there- not to mention the additional space needed by the amp rack.

there is an idea. hahahah i totally forgot that free air subs existed. but for some reason i have heard they are not worth the time and money. that is just what i heard though but why would people tell me that. pro, cons?????
Old 11-08-2002, 02:14 AM

we talked about this 2 weeks ago too.. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=77173
Old 11-08-2002, 05:41 AM

I had a buddy in high school with a pioneer free air in his civic. It didn't sound to bad, but I've always wanted a custom trunk. I love stereos but this is the first car I actually appreciate enough to consider spending the time to customize a box for the back.

Is there anything in the FAQ on custom trunk boxes or is there any link anyone can give me to help me out?

Thanks again

BlueBOB