Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

One more ? for those with multiple amps

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 08:12 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

For those who are using a seperate amp for your highs, mids and bass. Or those who have their speakers running of a amp and not the head unit. My question, what did you do with the speaker wires from the head unit? This may be a simple question/answer for some, but I'm a novice when it comes to audio mods.
Old 12-27-2000, 09:10 PM
jmax

Wrap the bair ends with electrical tape and tie them off with a wire tie, rubber band, velcro tie or whatever.

Old 12-27-2000, 09:19 PM

question...

does the headunit still think that it is powering four speakers even if they are connected? couldn't you save power if you could somehow disable the headunit output?
Old 12-27-2000, 09:30 PM
jmax

I think the headunit has a 10 amp fuse so disabling the built in amp, while it would be ideal, would not increase total system efficiency significantly. It is a small piece in the puzzle.

Old 12-27-2000, 11:30 PM
mting

if you run the seperate amps to the tweets/ midbass. then you are losing your crossover which means sound is going to go sounds that were meant for the midbass is goign to go to the tweeters and that's going to hurt if not blow out the speaker. I only recommend this if you are going to custom make a crossover. the good thing about this is more power and you can control the power going to the tweet/ midbass.

Old 12-27-2000, 11:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wouldn't be too concerned about running a seperate amp for the Mids and Highs. . . If you get quality speakers, the crossovers that come with the speakers should handle inputs from both amps (My Quart xovers do at least).

And as for disabling the speaker wires from the head unit (Just a thought), would the head unit turn them off automatically because it senses no load? I would think this would be something that is figured in the design, but I may be wrong. Just make sure to cap the ends of the wires, my installer didn't and shorted out my deck, at least it was under warrenty.
Old 12-28-2000, 06:53 AM
jsmiam

Don't worry too much about the speaker wires.. Tape them up carefully, and tie them somewhere safe, but leave them available for the future, so that if and when you sell your car, you can have the option of keeping all your nice aftermarket stuff, and sticking the factory equipment back in.

I'm no Electrical Engineer, but I *Think* that with the speaker wires not connected to anything, it doesn't do much, kinda like an electrical outlet in your house with nothing plugged into it. And if I'm wrong about that, don't worry about it anyway... Electronics nowadays are so good, no harm will be done, from a heat, reliability, or frying perspective. The small amount of electrical current used is not gonna kill ya.

Old 12-28-2000, 08:05 PM
jmax

By the way, my system has 0 passive crossovers and I currently have 10 speakers and a teeny wheeny sub hooked up. Remember, they make active crossovers for a reason. I am using the symmetry and the crossovers built into the amps.