Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

1 ohm on an amp, killing it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 09:24 AM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

1 ohm on an amp, killing it?

hi, im running two dimaond m6's on a JL 500/1 amp and parralleled it to a total of one ohm..

the amp can make continuous power until 1.5 ohms, will running the subs at 1 ohm shorten the life of the amp?
Old 12-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Are they Dual 4 ohm VCs? Not that i am doubting you, but how did you get 1 ohm? I suppose 4 4 ohm voice coils all in parallel...

It may work, but I would think that it would certainly shorten the lifespan of the amp...
Old 12-16-2002, 09:02 PM
jmax

I have seen quotes on other forums from the JL tech's, or owner that the amp is fine at 1 ohm. But why bother with a load that voids the warranty when it puts out the same power into 4 ohms? 4 + 4 = 8 / 2 = 4.

Old 12-17-2002, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by jmax
But why bother with a load that voids the warranty when it puts out the same power into 4 ohms? 4 + 4 = 8 / 2 = 4.
exactly.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:45 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by TL@altimas.net
exactly.

Unless you are looking for some seroius SPL, the 4 ohm load will suit you just fine. That is the shortcoming of DVC subs- when using a mono amp, you are limited to 1 or 4 ohm loads. Or maybe 16...
Old 12-17-2002, 08:57 AM
jmax

But, I think the power output actually drops a little below 1.5 ohms. I could be wrong, but if it is more power at 1 ohm it definitely won't be enough more to hear. The way those amps are designed is to put out almost the same power with everything in the 1.5 - 4.0 ohm range.

Old 12-17-2002, 09:01 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by jmax
But, I think the power output actually drops a little below 1.5 ohms. I could be wrong, but if it is more power at 1 ohm it definitely won't be enough more to hear. The way those amps are designed is to put out almost the same power with everything in the 1.5 - 4.0 ohm range.

Most amps (good ones, at least) are designed to double output, or get close to it, as impedence drops. Maybe the JL amps are different, but that is how things have been for the last few years. When I was first installing in the early/mid 90's, you multiplied the 4 ohm output by about 1.5 to get the 2 ohm output, but these daus you can estimate 1.75-2 times the power @ 1/2 the impedence. Therefore, 1 ohm power coud be as much as 3-4 times the 4 ohm rated power (under optimum conditions, and with a good amp such as this one...).
Old 12-17-2002, 09:10 AM
jmax

Originally posted by phenryiv1

Most amps (good ones, at least) are designed to double output, or get close to it, as impedence drops. Maybe the JL amps are different, but that is how things have been for the last few years. When I was first installing in the early/mid 90's, you multiplied the 4 ohm output by about 1.5 to get the 2 ohm output, but these daus you can estimate 1.75-2 times the power @ 1/2 the impedence. Therefore, 1 ohm power coud be as much as 3-4 times the 4 ohm rated power (under optimum conditions, and with a good amp such as this one...).
Good, better, it's all subjective. They aren't better for my install, but much better for others.

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/rips.html

Old 12-18-2002, 01:24 AM

I'm not sold on the RIPS thing yet.. besides the fact that you can get amps that will do the same power @ 4 ohms, double @ 2, and quadruple @ 1 for about the same price..

I got into a discussion about it's reaction to the driver's impedance curve a while back and mailed JL about it..

on 7/26/02 12:52 AM, Jordan Runsvold at TL@altimas.net wrote:

Hi,
I was wondering a few things about the R.I.P.S. system and how it measures impedance. Does the amp react to impedance changes in real-time, or does it take an impedance reading at turn-on and use that setting until power-down? If it reacts in real-time, how can it produce a flat output with the impedance variances that occur in every driver related to the drivers Fs and other factors?

Playing a sweep through a normal amp would yield a power dip opposite the impedance spike, resulting in a flat response curve. If the JL is adjusting to get full power as impedance rises, there will be an increase in output around the drivers Fs, producing a peak or plateau around that frequency.

Thanks,
-Jordan <((( TL@altimas.net )))>

__________________________________________________ ___________
--- nissantalk.com / altimas.net :: the premier nissan enthusiast community

Jordan, these are excellent questions. Here we go. The amplifier does not analyze impedance in real time. It does analyze the current on the output rails. The R.I.P.S. system always begins as if it is powering a 4‡ load. If the speaker configuration is such that the amplifier produces an amount of current higher than that which can travel "unclipped" over the output rail, the amplifier can utilize a different output rail with a higher current capability. To make the same amount of power into a lower impedance, an amplifier will need to produce more current and less voltage. If the current reaches a certain level, the amplifier changes the output rail it is using, thus maintaining its ability to generate its rated output cleanly (unclipped). This "shifting of gears" can happen two times (there
are a total of three "gears" or rails in the output section).

The goal is to deliver rated power into a regardless of impedance (from 1.5‡ to 4‡) with out sacrificing sound quality or reliability.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

--
Tony Ostrom
Zone 3 Area Technical Director
JL Audio Inc.
www.jlaudio.com