Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Power but NO Sound! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 05:00 PM
Banned

Power but NO Sound! HELP!!!

i just installed a JVC cd player into my parents 94 Grand Prix. I got the lcd to power up. the deck does everything it's suppossed to but i'm not getting any sound.
i've checked my wiring 3 times and i can't find a flaw.
my first thought was that one of the speakers was blown. but i tested each speaker to see if one might be holding back the other three. the only other thing i can think of is that all four speakers are blown. but that's ridiculous it's my parents car and they never blast their music.

after disconnecting each speaker wire i noticed that when i cut the last speaker wire, the deck lost its power. i hope none of the factory wires have been crossed. because they've been peeled apart as well.

so please provide some suggestions if you think you might know what's causing this to occur.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:44 PM

Re: Power but NO Sound! HELP!!!

Originally posted by shock211
i just installed a JVC cd player into my parents 94 Grand Prix. I got the lcd to power up. the deck does everything it's suppossed to but i'm not getting any sound.
i've checked my wiring 3 times and i can't find a flaw.
my first thought was that one of the speakers was blown. but i tested each speaker to see if one might be holding back the other three. the only other thing i can think of is that all four speakers are blown. but that's ridiculous it's my parents car and they never blast their music.

after disconnecting each speaker wire i noticed that when i cut the last speaker wire, the deck lost its power. i hope none of the factory wires have been crossed. because they've been peeled apart as well.

so please provide some suggestions if you think you might know what's causing this to occur.
I can't give you exact advice (after all, this is a Maxima board ), but when I installed my Kenwood in my 5th Gen with Bose I used an adapter from Scosche (FAI-3) to interface with the Bose amp. In the manual, they had talked about floating grounds on GM vehicles or common ground points for the speakers or something.

Is it possible that there is some sort of "Premium System" in the Grand Prix? I would check with Scosche on this. Also, since you are getting no power from the head unit when the last speaker wire was removed it looks like you are grounding the head unit through the speakers. I had something similar on my antenna and it turned out that the black wire on the factory harness was not a good ground. Take the black ground wire on the stereo and ground it to metal in the dash, that should make the radio come back on (oh, also disconnect the antenna so it can't get a ground from there.

Not sure if this will help, but let us know how it worked out.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:20 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Power but NO Sound! HELP!!!

Originally posted by spta97

I can't give you exact advice (after all, this is a Maxima board ), but when I installed my Kenwood in my 5th Gen with Bose I used an adapter from Scosche (FAI-3) to interface with the Bose amp. In the manual, they had talked about floating grounds on GM vehicles or common ground points for the speakers or something.

Is it possible that there is some sort of "Premium System" in the Grand Prix? I would check with Scosche on this. Also, since you are getting no power from the head unit when the last speaker wire was removed it looks like you are grounding the head unit through the speakers. I had something similar on my antenna and it turned out that the black wire on the factory harness was not a good ground. Take the black ground wire on the stereo and ground it to metal in the dash, that should make the radio come back on (oh, also disconnect the antenna so it can't get a ground from there.

Not sure if this will help, but let us know how it worked out.
the grand prix doesn't have an amp or anything special. just the delco deck. i'm going to try a few other things that i forgot to check before posting. but i'll keep your suggestions in mind.
thanx