Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need overall recommendations for upgrades to 96 GLE system...please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 08:50 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Need overall recommendations for upgrades to 96 GLE system...please.

Well, after 6 months with the Bose I need an upgrade. I have already added a RF 12" XLC sub in a sealed box. I have it running off of an older RF amp, a 100aII. On the way to me I have another RF amp, a 250a2, which is obviously more powerful. Here are my requirements:

Not heavy on bass, not heavy on highs. Just a balanced sound.
Only 1 additional set of speakers. I plan to run the Stock Bose HU and stock Bose rear speakers, at least for a while. I want to upgrade in phases.
No cutting or "permanent" modifications to the car or any panels. Any replacement parts (such as A pillars) must be cheap.
Must not be too big of a pain in the @$$ to install. I have been a shadetree installer for years. I have done about 100 systems (20 or so versions in my own vehicles), but I am growing weary of diong big systems.

My favorite system to date:
RF punch 200ix running a set of Infinity 60.3 (predecessor to the 60.5) 6.5" components (100 watts per channel) and another 200ix on 4 8" infinity Kappa series subwoofers. I ditched them for a single 10" Kappa sub in a JL Vantage box for space reasons. This was in a 1998 Jeep Cherokee. I have never worked on a Maxima, so I do not know what to expect.

Here are my questions:
Given a limited budget and restrictions on installation options, should I go with a set of components or a pair of coaxials? I like the sound of infinity components, so I assume that I would like their coaxials, but budget and space make me quesion what I should do.

If I had the money, I would but a set of the 60.5 6.5" Kappa components. Will the tweeter fit in the A pillar where I want it mounted? What about in the triangular area to the inside of the mirrors? If I do this, I will surface mount the tweets IF I have to.

My next options are to consider Infinity Reference 6.5" components. These are a step down, but supposedly not too bad. If I do this, when the system is all said and done, I may upgrade the mids and keep the tweets up front, then move the mids to the rear. I would replace the door speakers with better coaxials (with the additional reference tweeters left up front) and run the reference mids in the rear deck as rear fill.
OR, I could get the Kappa series 6.5" coaxials, THEN add the reference mids and tweets (in the same configuration) down the road.

What should I do? Do the reference coamponents or the kappa coaxials? Will the reference tweeters fit in the A pillar in my 96 GLE?

How much depth is there?

Also, if I have 2 amps, 1 rated 25x2 RMS (or 100 RMS bridged) and 1 rated at 67.5x2 (or 250 RMS bridged), whigh would you run to the highs and which to the sub? Right now the sub is doing fairly well with 100 watts on the smaller amp. I have always liked more power to my mids/highs, but I thought that I would get your suggestions.

Also, any suggestions on other recommended brands or models for me to consider? I am on a tight budget, so no DynaAudio or anything...
Old 12-31-2002, 09:24 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Update:

After poking around, I found that I can get the 2-way Kappa coaxials for about $75, and the Reference components for about $90. This is w/o shipping ($10-15, tops).

Please consider this additional informatoin when making recommendations.

Lastly, I could get the Kappa Component set for $160 Brand new, including shipping...

Old 12-31-2002, 11:24 AM
Banned

Re: Update:

personally the kappa components are going to sound the best..but if you are on a budget the refrence sound good (ive heard them before) but i think you should go with the components... they are so much better than coaxials. I have had both and am the most happy with my fosgate fanatic x components. I dont know if the tweeter will fit in the a pillar.... but you could always do what i did and run the tweeter to the black triangle on the door where it meets the window and use a piece of velcro to hold it up.... it looks fine and you dont have to cut a hole in your door. Then i think you need some mid fill in the back deck .. i have mb quarts 6.5 coaxials...
then you will need a head unit
Old 12-31-2002, 12:32 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Update:

Originally posted by Ryan93SE
personally the kappa components are going to sound the best..but if you are on a budget the refrence sound good (ive heard them before) but i think you should go with the components... they are so much better than coaxials. I have had both and am the most happy with my fosgate fanatic x components. I dont know if the tweeter will fit in the a pillar.... but you could always do what i did and run the tweeter to the black triangle on the door where it meets the window and use a piece of velcro to hold it up.... it looks fine and you dont have to cut a hole in your door. Then i think you need some mid fill in the back deck .. i have mb quarts 6.5 coaxials...
then you will need a head unit
I appreciate your insight. I REALLY want that sony HU that you have...basic HU with no frills...just what I wanted. But I was going to need to get adapters ant to replace all of the stock speakers if I went that route. Really, if I had the money I would buy the sony and just sit on it until I can afford to switch out the rear bose speakers as well. I know that you had other interested parties. Did anything pan out? If you can drop the price at all, I can see about talking the wife into it. My birthday is coming up, and even though I am old, some relatives still send me money .
Old 12-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Update:

the other interest didnt go through either.... i was going to put it on ebay... but that is a big hassle. You offered me 65.... if you could do that again, i would drop the price for you cause i dont want to hassle with ebay. But i really cant go any lower than that.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:34 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Update:

the other interest didnt go through either.... i was going to put it on ebay... but that is a big hassle. You offered me 65.... if you could do that again, i would drop the price for you cause i dont want to hassle with ebay. But i really cant go any lower than that.
Waht was shipping again? It is to ZIP 22160 (business address- will save money if you go UPS or Fed Ex). I will be away from the comp until thurs AM, but I will check then. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2002, 06:06 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Update:

i have it calculated to be around $6.00 shipping to that address..... thats for UPS ground shipping
Old 01-03-2003, 07:17 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

BUMP

Can I get any other advice regarding speaker selection?
Old 01-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Banned

Re: BUMP

did you decide anything regarding the head unit?

i think you should go with some fosgate components.... i love mine
Old 01-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: BUMP

did you decide anything regarding the head unit?

i think you should go with some fosgate components.... i love mine
What series of fanatics do you have?
Old 01-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: BUMP

Originally posted by phenryiv1

What series of fanatics do you have?
fanatic x