Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Looking for some good replacement speakers and amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 03:05 PM

Looking for some good replacement speakers and amp

For starters, I know nothing about interior speakers. Im looking to replace all of the crappy bose speakers, with some that have good sound and nice base. I have no clue what brands are best, I guess that if I get better speakers I will need a better speaker amp to power them. I am going to keep my stock bose Headunit for a while until I can afford to get a nice one. So just give me ur advice on good speakers + amp, I really want alot of base. I already have 2 subs.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:21 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Re: Looking for some good replacement speakers and amp

Originally posted by BBaker025
For starters, I know nothing about interior speakers. Im looking to replace all of the crappy bose speakers, with some that have good sound and nice base. I have no clue what brands are best, I guess that if I get better speakers I will need a better speaker amp to power them. I am going to keep my stock bose Headunit for a while until I can afford to get a nice one. So just give me ur advice on good speakers + amp, I really want alot of base. I already have 2 subs.

Hey Brian,

Although i have not yet heard these speakers personally, I've heard lots of good stuff about the following components:

Diamond Audio M3/M6/Hex series
MB Quart - PSD / QSD series
Boston Acoustics; and
Focal Utopias.

As far as how much you want to spend, that's going to be a determining figure as well, but why skimp on the speakers that are going to provide you with most of your actual "heard" music.

As far as amps go, many kudos have gone to:

JL Audio (I just bought a 500.1 and am going to get a 300.4)
PPI
Zapco - ReddoG_Max (my Ottawa Maxima buddy) has them, and they pound
and of course, Legacy... (okay, that last one was a joke).

These are just ones that I've actually read up on, based upon my $$ expectancy, so may be a good place to start.

I assume that you'll want separate amps to power your components and your subs. If not, try a Zapco 650, a 5 in 1 amp. Otherwise, stick with a 2-4 channel amp for the components and a fairly (real) powerful class D amp for your subs.

Hope this helps. I've been fortunate to have some good advice from others on here, so hope to pass along some of the learning.

Have fun!
Mike
Old 01-14-2003, 07:02 AM

If you really want more bass, it sounds like you have to upgrade your subs / amp. I'm not sure what gen your Max is, but what ever will fit in the door will not produce anywhere near the bass that a subwoofer can (assuming you are limited to say 6.5" in the doors). What kind of subs / amp are you running now?

Also, from your post it seems that you are running the amp for your subs off of the head unit (via a line-level converter). A head unit with a dedicated subwoofer (non-fading) output will sound MUCH better than using a line-level converter. I think a good way to start the system is by getting the head unit first, then upgrading the rest of it.

As far as amps / speakers, I've got a JL Audio 500/1 runing 2 - JL 12W0's in a bandpass box and a JL Audio 300/4 running 4 Rockford Fosgate Components (FNP2614) 6.5" woofers with .75" tweeters. The JL Audio amps are awesome. My 500/1 (class D) does not even get warm! I am really over driving the W0's, but I really like the way it sounds. The RF components were cheap (about $115 / pair off e-bay) and they sound great as well. Nice midbass and very clear trebble (perhaps even too much for me as I've got the trebble turned all the way down on my head unit!).

Eventually I would like to get a smaller box with a JL Audio W6 (I don't think my amp could power a W7) and recapture some of my trunk space!