Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help with Amp hook up

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 09:53 AM
SMX
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help with Amp hook up

Does anyone know how I may be able to get a signal for an amp hook up? I sure that the factory radio does not have an out put. How would I go about getting the amp hooked up? Oh is a 2k3 without Bose. Thanks
Old 01-21-2003, 11:44 AM

Re: Help with Amp hook up

I used the rear speaker outputs on the back of the stock headunit. You pretty much have to tap them and connect it to a high to low line converter and then connect that to your amp. If your amp has speaker level inputs or hi level inputs you can not use the converter and tap the rear speakers and connect it to the amp. You will have to remove your headunit and tap the wires back there. I have the same setup on my 2k2, where I put in an amp with a hi to lo converter and tapped the rear speakers.

Originally posted by SMX
Does anyone know how I may be able to get a signal for an amp hook up? I sure that the factory radio does not have an out put. How would I go about getting the amp hooked up? Oh is a 2k3 without Bose. Thanks
Old 01-21-2003, 11:57 AM
SMX
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yea, I have an amp already that I took out of my old max…it does have a speaker volume. Which wires will I need to tap into? Is it the rear speaker wires that coming out of the radio? I found one but its say to use on amp's without speaker volume & without radio preamp. What will I have to use being that the amp has speaker volume?
Old 01-21-2003, 12:18 PM

Does your amp have a high/speaker level input? Did you connect it to your stock headunit in your old max? If your amp had the hi level inputs then you don't need to purchase a hi to lo line converter. Use the wires on the back of the stock radio to tap into. If you need a line converter you can purchase one at big electronic stores or local car audio shops.

Originally posted by SMX
Yea, I have an amp already that I took out of my old max…it does have a speaker volume. Which wires will I need to tap into? Is it the rear speaker wires that coming out of the radio? And what does this low line converter look like? Thanks