Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anyone have a JL500/1 Amp with ONE sub?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 03:46 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Anyone have a JL500/1 Amp with ONE sub?

Not getting any output... but the green light is on for power.

I've got a quick question for anyone:

I took out my Clarion 200.2 amp today, and put in my JL500.1 in order to power my Bazooka RS-T1 Link for Bazooka Sub sub in the Bazooka designed enclosure.

I'm running the original wiring for the Clarion amp (not sure what gauge, but at least 8, probably 4 for the power/ground. I took the RCA's and plugged them in to the Amp, and rewired the speakers (I did a bridged setup - outside +/-), and of course the remote wire.

Now, the ONLY thing that is different is that the Clarion amp had some wires plugged in to something called a High Level Input Terminal. These have nowhere to go on the JL amp now, so are sitting free. I don't know exactly where they connect to or come from.

I don't know if I need to have these wires connected (looked like a four wires into a plug then the plug goes into a four holed receptacle, if you know what I mean). They might be connected to the Alpine 7894 head unit, and are preventing a signal from being received by the Amp.

Can anyone point me in the direction I might want to look as to why I'm not getting any bump in my sub? I don't know if I blew a fuse (not electrically gifted), or if I have it wired funny, but it should be good (it bumped with the Clarion, but not with the JL).

Thanks in advance!!

Mike
Old 01-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Cumalittle

Re: Anyone have a JL500/1 Amp with ONE sub?

Originally posted by Blaxxxima
Not getting any output... but the green light is on for power.

I've got a quick question for anyone:

I took out my Clarion 200.2 amp today, and put in my JL500.1 in order to power my Bazooka RS-T1 Link for Bazooka Sub sub in the Bazooka designed enclosure.

I'm running the original wiring for the Clarion amp (not sure what gauge, but at least 8, probably 4 for the power/ground. I took the RCA's and plugged them in to the Amp, and rewired the speakers (I did a bridged setup - outside +/-), and of course the remote wire.

Now, the ONLY thing that is different is that the Clarion amp had some wires plugged in to something called a High Level Input Terminal. These have nowhere to go on the JL amp now, so are sitting free. I don't know exactly where they connect to or come from.

I don't know if I need to have these wires connected (looked like a four wires into a plug then the plug goes into a four holed receptacle, if you know what I mean). They might be connected to the Alpine 7894 head unit, and are preventing a signal from being received by the Amp.

Can anyone point me in the direction I might want to look as to why I'm not getting any bump in my sub? I don't know if I blew a fuse (not electrically gifted), or if I have it wired funny, but it should be good (it bumped with the Clarion, but not with the JL).

Thanks in advance!!

Mike
if i'm reading/comprehending all this correctly..i believe u do not have any audio/signal input into the amp via speaker level/rca...

Old 01-24-2003, 04:03 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

have you read your owners manual? The hi/lo converter is built inside the amp (if needed)....
Old 01-24-2003, 04:22 PM

why and how do you have rca's at your amp and also high level leads sitting back there?? i understand that your old amp used "high level inputs", but did you run your own rca back and not hook them up behind the radio? i dont understand?

we need more info here!

Ant
Old 01-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Anyone have a JL500/1 Amp with ONE sub?

Your rca jacks might be electronically turned off in the deck. Read the manual to find out how to activate the rca jacks. If that doesn’t work, the high-level output plug may be overriding the rca outputs, which makes your rca jacks inactive. In that case, try tracing the high level output plug. If it's hooked up to your alpine deck, disconnect it, and then check if your rca has an output signal.
If it still does not work, get a new car and system.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:06 PM
!OG SNES OG!

LOL... get a new car and system... heh heh...

Dave - I bought it off E-bay, and no manual was included, so I DL'd and printed one, but being 'not familiar' with the meaning of all this stuff, I kinda (okay, semi-ignorantly, lol) just work with the knowledge I have. Plus, I don't want to pay some jabroni $50 for something that should be reasonably easy.

It may be just my head unit, I have yet to master that - again, the directions are vague to those unfamiliar with these things.

Ant - not sure why it had hi level input - I didn't install it. Some jabroni shop in Ottawa did. I have run RCA's from the head unit (subwoofer RCA output connectors) to the old amp, so figured that was what was needed for this one. I never knew what the point of the high level thing was (plead unfamiliarity, rather than ignorance here).

If none of the above works (i.e. mucking about with my deck settings), I'll follow the high level output cabling, see where that goes. Unfortunately, the jabronis who installed my deck left me with virtually no play on the length of the ground / power cables. Dang them.
If this doesn't work, I'll pop the dash and take a look at what's going on with the head unit. I've got to reground it again anyways (road noise - which is what led me to install the new JL in the first place, on a piece of wood to help ground it).

Thanks for all the input, and if you have any feedback based on my above idiotic statements, feel free. I'm trying to learn, and I'm a hands on guy, so I'll try anything.

The new system is being compiled, and will be installed (by me and a more knowledgeable friend) this summer.

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-28-2003, 10:27 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Amp issues continue...

Okay, here's what I did tonight (yes, in the cold, in my garage...)

I pulled out my head unit, checked all the cabling back there - looked okay (I didn't check the remote however).
I took out my existing cheaper RCAs and ran Monster Cable RCAs from the Sub-W RCA cable on the back of the Alpine to the AMP.
I rewired all my cables into my amp (checked for tightness, etc, and ensured a snug fit).
I took off the damn high pass filter that was simply soldered on to my rear speakers. Don't ask me who did it, I have no idea. It wasn't connected to anything else (i.e going to head unit).
I regrounded my stereo to the ground above the dead pedal.

I STILL have no friggin power to my sub. My JL 500/1 amp green light is on, so I'm assuming I have power. Why is it that I cannot for the life of me get any damn signal from the amp to the sub?

Could the amp be shot? How can I tell?

I'm getting a little frustrated, and am THIS close to paying some installer shop to check it out for me

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 01-29-2003, 07:05 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Did you turn the gain up on the JL Amp?
Old 01-29-2003, 07:09 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Did you turn the gain up on the JL Amp?

I'm pretty sure I've played with every possible option, buttons/***** wise on that thing, but it's possible it needs to go higher.

I'll give that a shot... thanks.

anyone else?

Mike