Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

SIRIUS SAT RADIO INSTALL – 12 long hours (overkill)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 12:20 PM

SIRIUS SAT RADIO INSTALL – 12 long hours (overkill)

Sorry, no pics. My cousin “borrowed” my digicam.

Here’s where I placed my FREE SIRIUS gear:

TUNER:
In the glovebox. I’ll have to create a trim piece out of foam, to support it in there without moving around. The wires run in through the right-hand side… down to the quarter-panel. From there, I run the POWER wires behind the carpet into the main console area. I also run my FM antenna-to-radio cable the same way. Needless to say, my glovebox is locked & not used for storage anymore.

FM MODULATOR MAIN BOX:
Installed in the passenger-side quarter-panel. That plastic piece that’s underneath the glovebox, on the right hand side. You need to remove the plastic door-sill-trim thingy first. They both just snap off. I mounted the FM mod box in there with two tie wraps. Then snap the plastic trim pieces back on & your set. First you’ll need to run all the wires everywhere. FOR MY 2002 GLE I HAD TO BUY THE “NISSAN DIVERSITY KIT” FROM PEPBOYS $15.

ANTENNA:
Installed inside on the rear deck - on the left-hand side of the Bose subwoofer. The cable runs underneath the subwoofer cover – it looks very nice & clean. The antennas is pushed all the way back & is nearly touching the glass. It’s about 6-inches away from the 3rd brake light. It’s not taped on… the Bose subwoofer cover is holding it down nice & snug. But antenna wires barely made it to my tuner – with about a foot of slack.

THE CONTROL UNIT:
I will Velcro this in the small space between the sunroof controls & the sunglass holder. The wire will only be visible for 1”, then it will nicely fit under the sunglass-holder/light console, crawl back to the windshield, and go over the headliner, across the windshield to the A-pillar. The pillar easily pops off & I’ll run it down all the way to the quarter-panel. Totally invisible, except for the 1” before it hides over the ceiling console.

TAP INTO POWER:
Tear apart center console - refer to FAQs. For +12V: use the cigarette lighter’s middle terminal. I ran a wire from here to the FM Modulator’s RED WIRE & the Tuner’s +12V terminal. Just screw it in nicely & bend the plate back to place. The power adaptor can support up to 10Amps. The FM mod uses around 2A and the Tuner about 3A max. So carefull when you plug other accessories in there. It may blow the Cig lighter fuse. No biggie, just buy a new fuse & keep track of the total Amps.

For GROUND, I ran both units to the screw that’s right underneath the glovebox, on the right-hand side.

TO RETAIN YOUR MEMORY SETTINGS: I tapped the YELLOW wire of the FM Modulator into the Hazard-Light switch’s harness. If you peel the tape off of it, you’ll notice an ORANGE wire with a BLUE stripe. This wire always has +12V going to it. I used a wiretap from Radioshack & tapped into it.

I LOVE THE STATIONS & I can’t find anything wrong with the sound quality, other than maybe it needs to be amplified more. NO WAY I’M GOING BACK TO FM!!!

BONUS:
I also got rid of the UGLY yellow bulb in the ashtray. My Max LED white light perfectly fit in the hole. I taped it into the hole, bended the terminals straigh-out and plugged them into the adaptor. Test this to make sure it turns on when the car lights are turned on. If not, flip the terminals & it will light. I then taped the adaptor to the LED, and securely taped everything to the back of the ashtray.

BTW: The whole process could be completed in 5-hours. I had to buy some parts & changed mounting spots several times. The hardest part is running the wires. I also completed the registration online & was up in minutes.

G
Old 02-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Sirius ROCKS!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=191238
Old 02-25-2003, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just got my stuff in today. Thanks for the tips
Old 02-25-2003, 05:05 PM

Re: SIRIUS SAT RADIO INSTALL – 12 long hours (overkill)

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
Sorry, no pics. My cousin “borrowed” my digicam.

Here’s where I placed my FREE SIRIUS gear:

TUNER:
In the glovebox. I’ll have to create a trim piece out of foam, to support it in there without moving around. The wires run in through the right-hand side… down to the quarter-panel. From there, I run the POWER wires behind the carpet into the main console area. I also run my FM antenna-to-radio cable the same way. Needless to say, my glovebox is locked & not used for storage anymore.

FM MODULATOR MAIN BOX:
Installed in the passenger-side quarter-panel. That plastic piece that’s underneath the glovebox, on the right hand side. You need to remove the plastic door-sill-trim thingy first. They both just snap off. I mounted the FM mod box in there with two tie wraps. Then snap the plastic trim pieces back on & your set. First you’ll need to run all the wires everywhere. FOR MY 2002 GLE I HAD TO BUY THE “NISSAN DIVERSITY KIT” FROM PEPBOYS $15.

ANTENNA:
Installed inside on the rear deck - on the left-hand side of the Bose subwoofer. The cable runs underneath the subwoofer cover – it looks very nice & clean. The antennas is pushed all the way back & is nearly touching the glass. It’s about 6-inches away from the 3rd brake light. It’s not taped on… the Bose subwoofer cover is holding it down nice & snug. But antenna wires barely made it to my tuner – with about a foot of slack.

THE CONTROL UNIT:
I will Velcro this in the small space between the sunroof controls & the sunglass holder. The wire will only be visible for 1”, then it will nicely fit under the sunglass-holder/light console, crawl back to the windshield, and go over the headliner, across the windshield to the A-pillar. The pillar easily pops off & I’ll run it down all the way to the quarter-panel. Totally invisible, except for the 1” before it hides over the ceiling console.

TAP INTO POWER:
Tear apart center console - refer to FAQs. For +12V: use the cigarette lighter’s middle terminal. I ran a wire from here to the FM Modulator’s RED WIRE & the Tuner’s +12V terminal. Just screw it in nicely & bend the plate back to place. The power adaptor can support up to 10Amps. The FM mod uses around 2A and the Tuner about 3A max. So carefull when you plug other accessories in there. It may blow the Cig lighter fuse. No biggie, just buy a new fuse & keep track of the total Amps.

For GROUND, I ran both units to the screw that’s right underneath the glovebox, on the right-hand side.

TO RETAIN YOUR MEMORY SETTINGS: I tapped the YELLOW wire of the FM Modulator into the Hazard-Light switch’s harness. If you peel the tape off of it, you’ll notice an ORANGE wire with a BLUE stripe. This wire always has +12V going to it. I used a wiretap from Radioshack & tapped into it.

I LOVE THE STATIONS & I can’t find anything wrong with the sound quality, other than maybe it needs to be amplified more. NO WAY I’M GOING BACK TO FM!!!

BONUS:
I also got rid of the UGLY yellow bulb in the ashtray. My Max LED white light perfectly fit in the hole. I taped it into the hole, bended the terminals straigh-out and plugged them into the adaptor. Test this to make sure it turns on when the car lights are turned on. If not, flip the terminals & it will light. I then taped the adaptor to the LED, and securely taped everything to the back of the ashtray.

BTW: The whole process could be completed in 5-hours. I had to buy some parts & changed mounting spots several times. The hardest part is running the wires. I also completed the registration online & was up in minutes.
Sirius is unbelieveable. No way I could go back to "normal" radio. I choose the conventional anttena mount on top ot eht car right abouve the rear window. My car is black and it matches the antenna color. I mounted the tuner in the trunk next to my amp rack and luckily my Kenwood CD deck is "sirius" ready. $13 a month is basically free. Less than a CD per month. Now when I hear an awesome song that I would never hear on radio or T.V. I can download it and burn it onto a CD thanks to the info provided by Sirius. It's tight!
G
Old 02-25-2003, 09:41 PM

Re: Re: SIRIUS SAT RADIO INSTALL – 12 long hours (overkill)

Originally posted by Gramdacious
Hey, I never said that!...

G
Old 02-26-2003, 12:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: SIRIUS SAT RADIO INSTALL – 12 long hours (overkill)

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE

Hey, I never said that!...

G
I don't know what happened to my reply. I lost it somewhere. I wasn't ripping on you. Anyways, Sirius is unbelievable. I thought about doing an extreme install but I can't see someone stealing my antenna or my reviever. It is mounted on my amp rack and looks sweet. Luckily I have a Kenwood "sirius" deck and the scrolling text is awesome. I wanted to avoid and FM modulator because people have complained that they lose sound quality and loudness. let me know when you get some pics, I would love to see all your hard work. See ya
Old 03-08-2003, 01:20 AM

I now have PICS of the controller mounted between the sunglass holder & sunroof switch.

<----------------------------- EMAIL ME FOR PICS

But probably everyone has installed their kit one way, or another...

G