Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I’ve got some Sirius issues…(long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I’ve got some Sirius issues…(long)

Here's the setup:

I’ve got a 96 GLE and I some of Zumble’s idea for the setup so I have the tuner mounted in the trunk and the modulator under the arm rest. For the control unit, I removed my change holder (if that is what it was called)below the Bose head unit and put the FM face plate in its place. I liked the idea about mounting the antenna
on the rear deck but I made one change which actually makes it look alright. I cut off a piece from the back of the center brake light so that I could run the tail end of the antenna through it.

Anyone who has their Sirius system setup and using the modulator having these problems?

Citiference (that’s interference in the city if you didn’t catch it)–is there anything to do about this? I’ve already tried getting an aluminum plate to place the antenna on, maybe it’s me it helps but I’m still having issues with the reception. In the city my reception is messed up. I get pops, hiss, and the occasional boost in volume when the system is able to pick up the full signal.

Volume – If I were to rate the volume that I get from the system on a 1 – 10 scale, I'd give it a 7 and then once the signal seems to come in full strength it peaks out at 10 for a hot second and then it goes back to 7 again.

When I hooked my system up it seemed to work without having to do anything with the antenna leads from the modulator so I didn’t do anything with it. Do I need the diversity antenna adapters in order for it to sound right?

If I’m not mistaken, our factory Bose deck don’t have any aux input or line in ports so rigging the modulator for it is useless for me.

I’m really trying to get an idea of what I did wrong here or what to try before I start messing around with it this weekend, so any advice would help.

mounting the antenna on my roof is not an option
Old 03-11-2003, 04:44 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I dont know what it could be, but try posting at www.clubXM.com

They might be able to help.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:14 AM

I had similar problems with my Sirius unit. The volume was REALLY low. It was so bad that I decided to remove the unit and return it. I'm now running XM and lovin' it!
Old 03-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

You can adjust the modulation level on the FM mod. Hold down the center button until you see "Menu" Then scroll down to Mod level and move left or right to increase the level.

You can also adjust the modulation frequency. You may be getting interference from a local terrestrial station. Try changing that too.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
You can adjust the modulation level on the FM mod. Hold down the center button until you see "Menu" Then scroll down to Mod level and move left or right to increase the level.

You can also adjust the modulation frequency. You may be getting interference from a local terrestrial station. Try changing that too.
I've already done that. It came at level 2 by default and I set it to 3 and 4 which helps with the volume but I doesn't help with the signal noise or interference that I experience. I'll see if the the clubXM people can help - but are the going to help someone who Sirius instead of XM?
Old 03-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by gotmaxwiltravel

I've already done that. It came at level 2 by default and I set it to 3 and 4 which helps with the volume but I doesn't help with the signal noise or interference that I experience. I'll see if the the clubXM people can help - but are the going to help someone who Sirius instead of XM?

www.clubxm.com has forums for Sirius too...
Old 03-12-2003, 10:00 PM

Here is a Bose adapter for running AUX into the head unit. My Sirius equipment should be here tomorrow and if I don't get a clear sound through FM modulation I am ordering this part. Has anyone received it yet and had good results? I know it is fairly new.
AUX Adapter Thread
Old 03-18-2003, 09:41 PM

I was using the lowest modulation level 87.7 because I received noise from all the other frequencies. When I changed it to one of the higher frequencies it solved some of my sound level issues. I'm going to see if the Aux mod will give me better sound than what I have now.

Got a question:

The modulator came with an antenna in and out - Do we have to plug that inline with our antenna or is it not necessary?
Old 03-18-2003, 11:39 PM
My heroine

Originally posted by WaarrEagle
Here is a Bose adapter for running AUX into the head unit. My Sirius equipment should be here tomorrow and if I don't get a clear sound through FM modulation I am ordering this part. Has anyone received it yet and had good results? I know it is fairly new.
AUX Adapter Thread
just for reference... i have aux inputs on the back of my stereo already, but if you end up using the aux adapter for your bose, how are you planning on getting aux outputs from the sirius modulator?? that's the only problem i'm having with trying to do this. unless i'm missing something easy, the only way to do it has involved soldering onto the circuit board inside the modulator which i'm trying to avoid...

willis
Old 03-19-2003, 04:24 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by willis

just for reference... i have aux inputs on the back of my stereo already, but if you end up using the aux adapter for your bose, how are you planning on getting aux outputs from the sirius modulator?? that's the only problem i'm having with trying to do this. unless i'm missing something easy, the only way to do it has involved soldering onto the circuit board inside the modulator which i'm trying to avoid...

willis
That would be the only way...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=192420
Old 03-19-2003, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by gotmaxwiltravel
The modulator came with an antenna in and out - Do we have to plug that inline with our antenna or is it not necessary?
I got my Sirius equipment yesterday and did not use my antenna in/out. I have terrible reception and I have been told that if I plugged those up it would sound great. The only problem is that our Bose uses a different antenna plug so you have to go buy two adapters. Someone said they got them at Circuit City and they are around $13 a piece. I have ordered the AUX adapter so I will just wait for it to get here.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:05 PM

YOu have to plug the antenna leads into the radio from the FM modulator!!!!! If you dont, your sound quality will suck! If you have a diversity antenna and dont unplug it, your radio will try to receive signal from both antennas. What this means is the clear signal from the modulator will come into your radio at the same time the static from the diversity antenna.

As for as volume changes, snaps, pops.....none of this is the satellite reception!!!! The only change you will ever hear from reception is maybe a dropout under a bridge or tunnel. The volume will never fluctuate.

If any of you guys want to call me about any of this, feel free. I installed professionaly for 5 years and have installed numerous Sirius systems. 770-722-8610

Willis - All units have RCA outputs on the tuner accept Kenwood. They
have an adaptor that will give you the outputs. Dont take
your modulator apart!

Sagaynor - did you install yours yourself? There are so many
adjustments on FM modulators these days that I find it hard
to beleive you couldnt get an acceptable output level.

Lets get this all taken care of with correct information so that everyone on Maxima.org understands what is involved.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:44 PM
My heroine

Originally posted by Sirius1

your modulator apart!
hey, thanks for the advice .. actually I did take the modulator apart, but couldn't tell from the pics exactly where to solder, so I decided not to f around.. about the adaptor you mentioned though (and this is a general question to anybody who knows)..

the adaptor as I understand gives you rca outputs from the tuner. however, not having a kenwood head unit, I have to control the tuner with the control unit from the modulator.. which means the the tuner has to plug into the modulator, and the modulator has no way to get rca's out w/out soldering onto the board. so yes, I know I can get rca's out of the actual tuner, I just don't see how that helps me.. I really think i'm missing something stupid here though, so please, feel free to correct me..

willis
Old 03-19-2003, 05:11 PM

Just get the adaptor! It will give you the line level you need to hook into your radio. You will still need the controller for the modulator, but you will no longer send the signal through your tuner. Just unplug the modulator, run your antenna directly to your radio, and use only the signal from the RCA's for Sirius. (The controller will tell the tuner which station to play, so the signal will come from there instead of the modulator!)

Hope this helps!

And the offer still stands, call me if you have any questions!

I havent heard from any of you.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Sirius1
YOu have to plug the antenna leads into the radio from the FM modulator!!!!! If you dont, your sound quality will suck! If you have a diversity antenna and dont unplug it, your radio will try to receive signal from both antennas. What this means is the clear signal from the modulator will come into your radio at the same time the static from the diversity antenna.

As for as volume changes, snaps, pops.....none of this is the satellite reception!!!! The only change you will ever hear from reception is maybe a dropout under a bridge or tunnel. The volume will never fluctuate.

If any of you guys want to call me about any of this, feel free. I installed professionaly for 5 years and have installed numerous Sirius systems. 770-722-8610

your modulator apart!

Sagaynor - did you install yours yourself? There are so many
adjustments on FM modulators these days that I find it hard
to beleive you couldnt get an acceptable output level.

Lets get this all taken care of with correct information so that everyone on Maxima.org understands what is involved.

Thanks for that info. I'll do that this weekend because of the way I have it hooked up, it will require some rewiring.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:11 PM

My big complaint about Sirius is....

that I did not do it when it first came out...

let me tell you my system luckily went in and worked even though my regular radio does not ...go figure but Matt, thanks a buch for the orders and the service...this is awesome...hey, even my kids like the idea cause they get Radio Disney again.

Old 03-20-2003, 06:03 PM

Alright! Enjoy!! I am glad it went in ok.