Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Pay for installation or do it myself...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 09:27 PM

Pay for installation or do it myself...

im installing a aftermarket headunit and a 12 inch kicker comp vr...and few of my friends have installed their own and have no problems. i didnt want to take the risk so i called a local audio store and they want 150 for installation plus parts...should i install it myself? is there that much of a risk?
Old 03-12-2003, 09:35 PM

Re: Pay for installation or do it myself...

Originally posted by MIDNightMAX84
im installing a aftermarket headunit and a 12 inch kicker comp vr...and few of my friends have installed their own and have no problems. i didnt want to take the risk so i called a local audio store and they want 150 for installation plus parts...should i install it myself? is there that much of a risk?
why not ask your friends to do the install with you? be more fun
Old 03-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Got Projectors?

Re: Pay for installation or do it myself...

Originally posted by MIDNightMAX84
The first time I had an amp installed in a car I paid a shop to do it. Mostly it was my dad telling me he didn't want us to be responsible if I screwed something up, so pay someone else to do it.

While it gave peace of mind, it also lightened the wallet.

I had at the time, read up a LOT about installing amps, and had viewed numerous how-tos, asked lots of questions, and went through pics over and over again. After I had it done, I was able to see exactly what the installer did and understood it as well.

When the time came around that I needed another amp - I did it myself. Absolutely the best way to learn about these things - research well, then jump in. I've since done many amp installs for friends and myself, not to mention the occasional HU swap and door panel removal for access to speakers.

After you've researched thoroughly on how to install your equipment, if you still feel you can't do it, then pay this time, and go back over it to learn how to do it yourself. My advice, read up on it and give it a shot. As long as you're not grounding your power wire to the chassis or other dumb things like that, there's really not that much you can mess up.

BTW - if you do pay to get it installed, buy the amp wiring kit off of ebay and take it to them. Much better to spend $10-15 on "parts" rather than the $50-60 installers like to charge.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:41 PM

Re: Re: Pay for installation or do it myself...

alright thanks man...im going to buy the kit off ebay then do some research and give it a shot...thanks for your input ill let u know how it went..
Old 03-14-2003, 08:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: Pay for installation or do it myself...

Yeah you will be suprised what installs you can do on your own if you try. I thought that a headunit and rear deck install was hard so I was going to pay Best Buy 100.00 to do it for me but after searching on the org and asking a couple of questions I did it myself in an hour and it only cost me 15 bucks for the harness. I am going to dive into an amp install once I find a site that has pics that I can follow. Keep us posted on how it goes and good luck.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:24 AM

The only way to know it was done right is to do it yourself.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My suggestion is...

D-I-Y...

...and if you can persuade your friends to help, that would be much better. I did my entire system (except the head unit) myself and I learned a lot about systems in the process. I too, did a lot of research, shopped around, and asked enough questions to satisfy my doubts and went for it. I've still got a couple of loose ends to tie up, but outside of that, I'm very satisfied with the outcome of my system.

On the plus side, you'll learn what the installers know, plus you'll take better care and thought into your system because it's YOUR CAR!!! On the minus side, all your friends will see how your system sounds and start asking you questions and bugging you!!!

Good luck with your install, however you decide to do it
Old 03-14-2003, 09:40 AM

If you are like me you will probably change your system 100 times so cutting out those installation fees will help a lot.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, defininly research. If you run into any problems, the shops that you buy stuff can usually give you some quick free tech support. Go grab a 6 pack and your friends and get crackin.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:36 PM

alright, im going to try to install it this sunday...ill let u guys know how it went...and if i have any questions ill let u know...thanks