Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

PS2 Magic 3.1 Modchip

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 08:05 PM

PS2 Magic 3.1 Modchip

Do any of you guys ( and grls ) have this chip for there Playstation 2?

Does it really work? ... its supose to let u play copyed games and dvd movies right?

-Chris
Old 04-09-2003, 08:54 PM

I don't know about that specific mod chip, however I have played a few modded playstations. Mod chips do work, however you need a connection for getting iso images of games to download and burn to either dvd or cdr. You can't just pop a ps2 game in your burner and think its going to magically copy it. Also installing mod chips is not easy. Maybe now adays they have some soldier free mod chips or something, but I remember when my friend installed his, it was very complicated because he had to soldier wires to micro scopic chips ont he ps2s motherboard, and be broke his reset button in the process. I know I saw some usb mod chip online that suppose to pluggin to port on the back of the ps2, but this in fact has 1 wire yu have to soldier. Its not 7 like the one I saw installed but still its not a simple process I don't think. Lastly mod chips are pretty illegal. I wouldn't order one with my own credit card and send it to my own house, but maybe thats just me.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:26 PM

Re: .

Originally posted by DR0832
I don't know about that specific mod chip, however I have played a few modded playstations. Mod chips do work, however you need a connection for getting iso images of games to download and burn to either dvd or cdr. You can't just pop a ps2 game in your burner and think its going to magically copy it. Also installing mod chips is not easy. Maybe now adays they have some soldier free mod chips or something, but I remember when my friend installed his, it was very complicated because he had to soldier wires to micro scopic chips ont he ps2s motherboard, and be broke his reset button in the process. I know I saw some usb mod chip online that suppose to pluggin to port on the back of the ps2, but this in fact has 1 wire yu have to soldier. Its not 7 like the one I saw installed but still its not a simple process I don't think. Lastly mod chips are pretty illegal. I wouldn't order one with my own credit card and send it to my own house, but maybe thats just me.
When you say it wont burn that easy, then how do u burn it?
Old 04-10-2003, 08:36 AM

Well if you have a dvd burner it may be easier. I have never tried burning a ps2 game to dvd because I just got my dvd burner and don't have a mod chip right now. I assume you rip the game and decode it with a decss program, and then you create an iso image and burn it. But to burn ps2 games to a cdr disc you have realize this. All ps2 games are on a dvd. Dvds are either DVD-9(movies 9gb) or DVD-5(the ones we can buy 4.7 gb). A dvd is 4.7 gb I believe so you have to take out all the extra movies in the ps2 game, and take out anything extra so you just have the bare minimum that will fit on a cdr disc 800 mb, and then you make an iso image an burn. Its a big process. The only games I think you can straight copy is ps1, cd to cdr. The other alternative is trying to get access to some ftp that has images of every new ps2 game that is released that some group of computer nerds rip off the ps2 games and you can download them and burn them. Don't ask me how to do that though because I have no idea.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Zog

There were many early games for the PS2 that you could straight copy onto a CDR. I have a USB mod chip that plugs into the front and had to solder one wire. Every game that comes out now is in DVD format and you have to have a DVD burner to make it happen. Do some research on the net, the info is there. There was a file sharing program that had many people trading games, but i don't remember the site. I just buy games now. But i never bought 1 ps1 game. And yes they (mod chips) are illegal, i guess i had a morality attack.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:34 AM

was the usb chip a big deal to soldier or could it easily be done with a 20$ soldier gun and a magnifying glass? Do you know if they have come out with a truely external mod chip yet for ps2?
Old 04-11-2003, 08:58 AM

lol...This is stuff I deal with all day, I take these types of items off of eBay all day long...Soldering the Magic chips is tough..the solder points are extremely small and the board seems to have some type of waxy substance on it that makes it difficult to solder to..But yes, the Magic 3.1 or Neo 4 are the only way to go...

But for most bang for the buck, you are best off with modifying an x-box...My xbox has the OpexBioxx chip and a 120 gig hard drive in it...I currently have about 70 games and 5 full movies on my x-box hard drive...and another 60 or so games sitting on my computer hard drive...Trust me, I deal with this stuff all day long...xbox is the way to go!!
Old 04-11-2003, 10:33 AM

Here: modchip.com they have all the chips, solderless, USB, solder; they all work a little differently. The site has instructions, so you can look and see if you are confident enough to do the soldering or not. They are cheap and worth the effort if you have a DVD burner.

* Disclaimer: Don't copy games you don't own.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:14 PM

Old 04-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaxDoogie

But for most bang for the buck, you are best off with modifying an x-box...My xbox has the OpexBioxx chip and a 120 gig hard drive in it...I currently have about 70 games and 5 full movies on my x-box hard drive...and another 60 or so games sitting on my computer hard drive...Trust me, I deal with this stuff all day long...xbox is the way to go!!
tahts what ive been planning on doing...
im just to lazy..
but i dunno if u guys watch tech tv
but they had a whole week on what to buy to mod ur xbox and how and evreything
it was great
Old 04-11-2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by danimsta

im just to lazy..
it was great
Yeah, that was a great series...I modded my xbox almost a year before they released that series...and I can absolutely guarantee without a doubt that the xbox is easier, cheaper and more efficient than modding a PS2
Old 04-11-2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by danimsta

im just to lazy..
it was great
You would not have happened to tape it, Would you?
Old 04-11-2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE

You would not have happened to tape it, Would you?
I downloaded it from the alt.binaries.cd.image.xbox newsgroup
Old 04-12-2003, 09:58 AM

Is this for real:

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/v56pnporder.htm
Old 04-12-2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by DR0832
Is this for real:

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/v56pnporder.htm
Yes, it is for real...but it is also a real POS chip...they go bad faster than toilet paper does in the ****ter...For some reason those chips seem to go bad after just a few days of use.

If you are going to chip your PS2 do it right, and get a nice soldered chip...you will thank yourself and your PS2 will thank you too down the road
Old 04-12-2003, 11:25 AM

well if I new how to soldier the mod chip on I would, but I don't
Old 04-12-2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by MaxDoogie

Yes, it is for real...but it is also a real POS chip...they go bad faster than toilet paper does in the ****ter...For some reason those chips seem to go bad after just a few days of use.

If you are going to chip your PS2 do it right, and get a nice soldered chip...you will thank yourself and your PS2 will thank you too down the road
soldered chip