Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What are substitutes to Xtreme Dynamat? & should I Dynamat before install or After?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What are substitutes to Xtreme Dynamat? & should I Dynamat before install or After?

1)What are substitutes to Xtreme Dynamat?

2)And should I Dynamat before install or After sub install when I can hear if its needed?

p.s. whats the spray foam sound deadner called? is it just as good as Xtreme Dynamat for trunk?
Old 06-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Custom User Title

1. Not sure of any substitutes
2. I would dynomat after the install, that way u know where u need to dynamat, rather than dynamating areas that are unnessisary.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:53 AM

1. I would just sick with Dynamat. I purchased this crap called Fatmat and I ended up Dynamatting over it.
2. I would do it before you install, that way the box and other equipment isn't in the way. Also it depends on what you are putting in such as are you putting in one 10 or two twelves. If you think it's going to be loud I'd dynamat. Be sure to do the plate, the rear deck, under the trunk lid and maybe inside the fender wells if possible. Then listen for rattles inside and out. I litsened from the outside my car today and heard a horrible rattle from under the bumper. It turned out to be a broken bracket which was rubbing metal to metal making a horrible sound.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:46 AM

hey guys..just wondering if anybody has any pics of a dyno installation? i just hooked up an amp an subs in my trunk an it pounds inside, but sounds terrible outside, the trunk lid is rattling bad!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by thomasd cook
1. I would just sick with Dynamat. I purchased this crap called Fatmat and I ended up Dynamatting over it.
2. I would do it before you install, that way the box and other equipment isn't in the way. Also it depends on what you are putting in such as are you putting in one 10 or two twelves. If you think it's going to be loud I'd dynamat. Be sure to do the plate, the rear deck, under the trunk lid and maybe inside the fender wells if possible. Then listen for rattles inside and out. I litsened from the outside my car today and heard a horrible rattle from under the bumper. It turned out to be a broken bracket which was rubbing metal to metal making a horrible sound.
I used the Fatmat in my explorer and it does fine, I don't see why you didn't like it. Works great and does what its supposed to...
Old 06-09-2003, 09:33 AM

I use peel and stick which is some stuff that you get from Lowes and it works perfect all I matted was my rear deck lid, trunk lid and license plate and it got rid of all the rattle. The stuff only cost $11.00 for a roll that did all that.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by maximafever
I use peel and stick which is some stuff that you get from Lowes and it works perfect all I matted was my rear deck lid, trunk lid and license plate and it got rid of all the rattle. The stuff only cost $11.00 for a roll that did all that.
Actually, it's called Peal & Seal. This stuff worked great for me too. $35 for the whole trunk. Dynomat would have cost me $250
Old 06-09-2003, 10:24 AM

The Fatmat I purchased was ok but I was deceived because I was told that one package of Fatmat was enough to do a whole car from front to back. It only did a couple of sections of my trunk. It worked OK I guess but after I put the Dynamat everything quited down substantially. I purchased my Dynamat for like $120 I believe for 9 sheets of the Extreme. It may have been double what I paid for the Dynamat but it's well worth it to get it first and not waste your money on the cheaper substitute. Get that rear deck inside really well. I even dynamatted the sunglass case that flips out of the roof because it was rattling.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:03 PM

I did peal and seal too. Good enough. Couple of layers in the trunk, back seat and doors. Doors thud, and overall noise reduced. I spent ~$60.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:40 AM

May I ask what bracket you found broken as I have a bad rattle somewhere under the car but have not found out what's making the noise.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:05 AM

Dependes how much power ur runnin. If goin over 2 or 3000 watts, use a product called great stuff, your trunk will never rattle. GO to my hp, i have a writup on it.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:52 AM

Whohh, so you just stick that "Great Stuff" on top of the trunk and underneath the rest of the panel in the trunk...sides, back seat???
Old 06-10-2003, 10:56 AM

sorry whoohh...i spoke too soon,i just seen you hp...very informative!!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:56 AM

sorry whoohh...i spoke too soon,i just seen you hp...very informative!!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by MaximaGold

May I ask what bracket you found broken as I have a bad rattle somewhere under the car but have not found out what's making the noise.
It was a bracket that connects under the bumper to a piece of metal in the back. It was screwed at the metal which was where it was broken. It is a pretty thin little bracket and it connects to the bumper by a black screw pop out thing. I still hear a rattle where the rear bumper light is located. I took the light out and it sounds like it's behind it in the trunk. Does this sound familiar?
Most rattles are gone but now the whole trunk lid moves up and down extremely with the bass. Has anyone ever popped their back window from the bass? I ask because the rear windows flows back and forth with the bass.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:16 AM

It was a bracket that connects under the bumper to a piece of metal in the back. It was screwed at the metal which was where it was broken. It is a pretty thin little bracket and it connects to the bumper by a black screw pop out thing. I still hear a rattle where the rear bumper light is located. I took the light out and it sounds like it's behind it in the trunk. Does this sound familiar?
Most rattles are gone but now the whole trunk lid moves up and down extremely with the bass. Has anyone ever popped their back window from the bass? I ask because the rear windows flows back and forth with the bass.
yeah, people have blown windows out with bass before, but those were SPL competition vehicles with hundreds of feet of deadener (even concrete in many cases) and thousands upon thousands of watts. Not something us bass junkies should worry about.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:21 AM

thanks. I was just wondering because it's scary how much the window really moves
Old 06-12-2003, 09:40 PM

Dam, yes thats the little sh*t rattle, could not see it because it fit so tight together...Thanks for the info.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:18 PM

I just bent that little puppy out of the way but not towards the gas tank. Just in case somebody hits me from behind, it won't puncture my tank.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:50 PM

I was just going to cut it off, but you took a wise precaution not to turn it into a puncture device. aka Ford Pinto.

I just bent that little puppy out of the way but not towards the gas tank. Just in case somebody hits me from behind, it won't puncture my tank.