Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

amp issue...always going into protect mode....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:08 AM
2-Wheelin it...

amp issue...always going into protect mode....

ok, so here we go. i got a D5-1200.1
i haven't put fans yet, but i plan to.
after hitting some heavy bass notes, it would go into protect mode, i assumed that was because of the heat (i'm still waiting for the fans)
but the other day i powered up and after about 5 seconds, it hit a pretty strong bass note in a drum n bass song and it went into protect mode. it could not have heated up that fast. my wiring for it is optima yellowtop, 0awg to 5-farad cap, then 4awg from cap to amp, 4awg amp grounded. 100% gain. it's running at 1ohm onto a pair of TDX 12's.
m next assumption was that voltage was dropping below the allowable limit (~11) and that was putting it into protect mode. my questions are this:

1) if this voltage is the case, what more could i do other than upgrade the alternator to regulate the voltage? am i missing something?

2) i dont 'know what the amps are rated at, as far as voltage inputs are concerned, but the headunit itself is 8v output. would a surge of voltage cause it to clip, throwing it into protect mode?

thanx for any help.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Sanduguero

BUY A NEW ONE
Old 09-04-2003, 01:28 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Playero
BUY A NEW ONE

marica
Old 09-04-2003, 06:21 PM

If I'm not mistaken the amp will go into protect mode for either overheating, over currenting, or low impedence. Since it shuts down after only playing for a few seconds it is not overheating. This means that the amp does not like the load. Measure the Re of the sub using an Ohm meter and make sure that it is over .65 Ohm.

You really shouldn't need to run fans on a good class D amp.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:32 PM

is your amp 1 ohm stable? if not that might be your problem
Old 09-04-2003, 08:44 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
is your amp 1 ohm stable? if not that might be your problem
sorry, thought i had specified that. i'm glad we have some people who are seriously looking at this problem. it's a D51200.1. it's specs are 1200wx1@1ohm. and it is a class D amp. i have a pair of TDX 12's powered to it. they are made to RMS at 1500, which is why my gain is at 100%, which should be giving it ~550-600watts per sub. dual 4ohm coils, wired within each other to 2 ohm and then to each other down to 1 ohm.
as far as wiring is concerned, the tdx's use spring connectors on each voice coil. i'm using 10awg wire to the amp, where it allows both subs to wire independently. inside the amp, the subs are wired parallel down to 1ohm. last i tested the impedence, i was at .89, which i was curious as to why it was that impedence. my DMM is out of batteries, so when i get new ones, i'll retest it. i guess if you have any other suggestions, that would help. my only other assumption is low voltage, but i mean come on, optima + cap and i'm still going below 11.5v. just don't get it.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:33 PM

is that 11.5v with the car running? sounds like your alternator is almost dead. back when my alternator was crapping out, my amp still play loud and hard, granted it's not as powerful as yours. so i'm not sure about it being low voltage related.

but try wiring your subs into a 4 ohm load and see if it still cuts off. i know that you specified that that amp is rated at 1 ohm stable, but no harm in trying
Old 09-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

there r 2 things u can do, i hade the same problem, first with my 1200w audiobahn then with my 1500w ma audio amps, both died from voltage deporvation (pretty much) first try re-wireing ur alternator to the battery by upping the gauge between the 2 if that doesnt help time to up-grade the alternator, my 96 max has 125 amp stock alternator, and as far as i can figure with the power i was needing i needed an alternator pushing 285amps, i know its alot but ur pulling alot of power especially when lising to DNB.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:13 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
is that 11.5v with the car running? sounds like your alternator is almost dead. back when my alternator was crapping out, my amp still play loud and hard, granted it's not as powerful as yours. so i'm not sure about it being low voltage related.

but try wiring your subs into a 4 ohm load and see if it still cuts off. i know that you specified that that amp is rated at 1 ohm stable, but no harm in trying

ok, i misworded it.....what i meant to say is that the AMP is set to run at full power (1200x1) no matter what voltage, from 11.5-14.4. there is no diminishing power at low voltage. so that leads me to understand that the only thing that would cause the amp to go into protect mode would be voltage readings below 11.5. so i am assuming that somewhere during my bass hits, i'm hitting below 11.5v. as far as voltage readings, i'm getting 12.6 while the car is off, it ups to 12.9 while i'm idling, and when i rev, i go up to about 13.3. after driving for a while, it stabilizes out at 14.3, but when massive bass hits (which it does) then i see fluxuate from 12.7-13.5, but obviously at that point i'm idle again cause my voltage meter is on the cap, which reminds me, i really need one to look at real time while i'm driving.

i'm trying to figure out how exactly i could wire it at a 4ohm load. they parallel wire inside the amp, so i'd have to wire them up to 8ohm, then wire them in to achieve 4ohm load.

johnnyblaze4, that is exactly what i was thinking. i have wanted to up my alt-to-bat wire, just been lazy and can't find a good path to lay the wire. secondly, i'm deciding what kind of wire i need, 0awg or 4awg. i use 0awg from the battery to the cap, but since the alt-to-bat connection is such a short distance, i dont' think i would need 0awg, but rather 4awg. your suggestion, up to 4 or 0.
i was then going to see if that worked. if it didn't, then i would have to get an alternator (OG i heard is VERY good)

but i do agree that i feel i'm gettin voltage deprivation. the only reason i didn't accept that as an answer is i haven't heard of any other 1200.1 owners complain about this protect mode issue.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:16 PM

http://www.justwoofers.com/Tech/Wiring/Main.htm

maybe that site can help. still bugs me how it might be deprived of power since you're running an optima battery and a cap.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:53 PM

Turn the gain down, your probably causing the amp to clip by having it turned up all the way. You really only need to crank the gain that much if you have a really low input voltage.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:59 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have 2 fans going to my 800 watt Fosaget sub amp.... it still shuts down after about 30-40 minutes of continuous play in the hot So Cali summer. I need to add more fans. I guess I just like to pump it too loud !
Old 09-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kloogy
I have 2 fans going to my 800 watt Fosaget sub amp.... it still shuts down after about 30-40 minutes of continuous play in the hot So Cali summer. I need to add more fans. I guess I just like to pump it too loud !

I've done this on my ZR1000 and from the looks of the Fosgate you may be able to get away with it.. take the sides off the subs amp, put a crossflow right next to the amp and have it blow across the internal components. Between the heavy heatsink absorbing the heat, and crossflow cooling down the internals, it should stop shutting down on you.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

With a good battery and a cap you shouldnt be going down below 11.5 ever... I think you have low voltage and i also reccomed turning the gain down a bit mabye it wond suck up your power as much.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I say its your gains. You should set your gains so that your head unit and subwoofer volume top out at max.