Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

In debt, must restore system to stock...Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 12:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In debt, must restore system to stock...Need help.

Hey guys, I've reached a point where I'm just in too much debt due to frivilous spending. I've spent well over $2000 on upgrades to my car, and I need to get the situation under control. I'm 24, and I've made some bad financial choices. I've learned the lesson of over-spending on credit cards the hard way, and now I'm paying for it (no pun intended). Chalk it up to being young and stupid, whatever. At least now I have a much greater understanding of money management and hopefully I won't make the same mistakes later on in life on a greater scale.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is this...I figure a good way to try and start digging myself out of the hole is to ditch the system in my car. It consists of a Pioneer Premier mp3 deck, amp for speakers, amp for subs, 3 subs (one currently in car, 2 sitting in garage), and an XM receiver. Here's my problem. The place that installed it all may have chopped off the housing that connects to the Bose H/U. I still have all the speakers, I just don't know how bad of a job they did butchering the wiring (if they did at all, I may be mistaken). If they charge me to put everything back to stock, it may kill my whole reason for doing this. If they really did a butcher job and won't fix it for free, what do you think the dealer would charge to get my Bose system back to stock setup (the wiring, I can mount the H/U / speakers myself)? Any advice/experience will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:33 AM

Hmm, I might be interested in the XM reciever. That's if you want to sell your equipment seperate.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by MaximumMike
Hmm, I might be interested in the XM reciever. That's if you want to sell your equipment seperate.
Yeah, definitely. When I get all this worked out I will let you know. Thanks for the offer!

Lloyd
Old 09-08-2003, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ma><iManiac
Hey guys, I've reached a point where I'm just in too much debt due to frivilous spending. I've spent well over $2000 on upgrades to my car, and I need to get the situation under control. I'm 24, and I've made some bad financial choices. I've learned the lesson of over-spending on credit cards the hard way, and now I'm paying for it (no pun intended). Chalk it up to being young and stupid, whatever. At least now I have a much greater understanding of money management and hopefully I won't make the same mistakes later on in life on a greater scale.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is this...I figure a good way to try and start digging myself out of the hole is to ditch the system in my car. It consists of a Pioneer Premier mp3 deck, amp for speakers, amp for subs, 3 subs (one currently in car, 2 sitting in garage), and an XM receiver. Here's my problem. The place that installed it all may have chopped off the housing that connects to the Bose H/U. I still have all the speakers, I just don't know how bad of a job they did butchering the wiring (if they did at all, I may be mistaken). If they charge me to put everything back to stock, it may kill my whole reason for doing this. If they really did a butcher job and won't fix it for free, what do you think the dealer would charge to get my Bose system back to stock setup (the wiring, I can mount the H/U / speakers myself)? Any advice/experience will be greatly appreciated.
The dealer may charge you an arm and a leg, and and I'm assuming will probably insist on replacing the whole wiring for your stereo (I just can't see a dealership using butt connectors or doing any soldering to get it close to how it should be). If I'm correct in my assumption that the dealership will try to replace the entire wiring setup for your stereo, I'd maybe check with DAVEB do see if he can get your the wiring, and just do it yourself.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:05 AM

Why dont you do the install yourself? You will learn something and save $$$ both now and in the future when you decide to get another system
Old 09-09-2003, 10:21 PM

Are you just trying to make back some of the money you spent by selling your equipment? If that's the case, then you realize you won't get back even half of what you spent, right?

If you're happy with your system, then I'd keep it in there. Let's say you have $1K just in the stereo. And you'll be lucky to get half that out of selling your used equipment. Then you'll still be paying the credit card bills on the remaining $500 and you won't even have the benefit of enjoying the system any more.

Is there any way you can tough it out and keep the stereo? I mean, it sounds like more hassle than not just to put the Bose back in.

Just trying to help.

Tony
Old 09-10-2003, 05:21 AM

i totally agree with tony. if you are happy with your stereo you should not sell it or take it out. you will be losing lots of money.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Way out West

I agree with the previous two.

It will be time consuming to take everything out yourself and it will be expensive to have someone else do it. Then, you would still be in the hole several hundred dollars with nothing to show for it.

I would probably sell some excess, like the subs in your garage and maybe the XM, but leave the primary components.

A good portion of the money you spent on your stereo was for install. You aren't getting that back, so you might as well enjoy it.

You'd be better off figuring out ways to make more money and/or consolidating your debt. It sounds like you are figuring all of that out already.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:46 PM
You will lose

Hello....Sell the factory stuff...You know how miserable you will be going back to stock, and without XM...forget it...
Old 09-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont know anything about XM, but I say Lose the XM....
Old 09-13-2003, 11:19 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by DJ Kontakt
I dont know anything about XM, but I say Lose the XM....

loose the stock stuff im sure u can get a good $300 for it, u will be lucky to make out with 1/2 of what u payed for ur system, factor in installation, and ur under $300, i'm sure.....