Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Problem with PAC AOEM-NIS2

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 08:00 AM

Problem with PAC AOEM-NIS2

Last night I tried installing the PAC AOEM-NIS2 and ran into a curious problem. When I have the Bose on FM/AM, the amp turn on lead from the PAC interface turns on my Sony amps and everything sounds great. When I switch the Bose to CD, the Sony amps don't turn on and nothing comes out of the speakers. I know the CD is working, though, because I left the stock tweeters in the A pillars hooked up to the stock wiring and I can hear the CD playing in only the stock tweeters.

Anyone know why the PAC amp turn on lead would work when the Bose is on FM/AM but not when it's on CD?
Old 09-25-2003, 12:19 PM

Mine works perfectly fine. Sounds like you have a deffective unit.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:07 PM

Next time I'll do the search before posting the question. Seems that Inarticulate had the same problem several months ago. Based on some replies to his post, it sounds like the turn on lead that is part of the PAC unit gets its signal from the power antenna wire. When you switch the Bose from FM/AM to CD, the signal to the power antenna wire is turned off. I tried connecting to the turn on lead for the Bose amp that is part of the wiring harness and now it works for FM/AM and CD.

I have a 2000 Max, so maybe the newer 5th Gen Bose with the in-dash 6 CD changer doesn't work that way. It's a minor issue, but it seems like a small oversight in the design of the PAC interface.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:17 PM

I forgot to mention that there is absolutely no engine noise/alternator whine at all with this set up. I had two different aftermarket HU's for awhile, a Blaupunkt and an Alpine, and I would get a high-pitched whine with both when I stepped on the gas. Nothing I did got rid of it, which is why I finally decided to put the Bose HU back in and try the PAC interface. Besides losing equalizer capability and the separate sub control, this is just what the doctor ordered. Sounds really good.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so the PAC adapter only has one wire for both the antenna and amp turn on?
Old 09-25-2003, 01:24 PM

Well, the power antenna wire is part of the wiring harness on one side of the PAC unit and the aftermarket amp turn on lead is on the other side of the PAC unit with the RCA outs. It appears that the signal to the aftermarket amp turn on lead is somehow related to the power antenna signal because it didn't turn my Sony amps on when the Bose was on CD. When I connected to the Bose amp turn on that is part of the wiring harness, the problem was solved. I am not using the aftermarket amp turn on lead from the PAC unit at all.

I should probably take a picture and post it.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Z Man
Well, the power antenna wire is part of the wiring harness on one side of the PAC unit and the aftermarket amp turn on lead is on the other side of the PAC unit with the RCA outs. It appears that the signal to the aftermarket amp turn on lead is somehow related to the power antenna signal because it didn't turn my Sony amps on when the Bose was on CD. When I connected to the Bose amp turn on that is part of the wiring harness, the problem was solved. I am not using the aftermarket amp turn on lead from the PAC unit at all.

I should probably take a picture and post it.
I am pretty sure that 2002-2003 are different because they have the diversity anttenna instead of a power antenna. Glad that it was something very simple.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think you should probably test those two wires. Because when the amp turn on lead will always have a 12V output, however the antenna lead will only have a 12V out when AM/FM is selected. It sounds that you have the antenna also hooked up to the amp turn on.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:35 PM

It's nothing that I hooked up or didn't hook up. It's the way the PAC interface is manufactured. PAC supplies the aftermarket amp turn on lead for you and you hook your amp up to that lead. You have no control over where that PAC-supplied turn on lead gets its signal. You can choose to hook your amp up to a different wire, but if you use that particular wire, you're stuck with the signal it gives you unless you want to open up the PAC interface and somehow reconnect the turn on lead to something else. That goes beyond my "expertise", and it was way easier to just use the Bose amp turn on that is part of the wiring harness.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:23 AM

PAC Antenna Lead

Originally Posted by Z Man
It's nothing that I hooked up or didn't hook up. It's the way the PAC interface is manufactured. PAC supplies the aftermarket amp turn on lead for you and you hook your amp up to that lead. You have no control over where that PAC-supplied turn on lead gets its signal. You can choose to hook your amp up to a different wire, but if you use that particular wire, you're stuck with the signal it gives you unless you want to open up the PAC interface and somehow reconnect the turn on lead to something else. That goes beyond my "expertise", and it was way easier to just use the Bose amp turn on that is part of the wiring harness.
You are absolutely correct about the PAC wiring scheme. The blue/white lead on the output side of the PAC unit corresponds directly to the BOSE antenna signal lead. But it also corresponds to the amplifier turn on lead as well. Confused? So am I. Check the wire code here:
www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Nissan-Wiring.pdf
If I'm looking at the chart correctly it would make sense to tap the solid yellow or solid red wire on the input side of the PAC and run it to a diode protected
relay. The relay is likely unnecessary, but it just adds a layer of protection between all the non-oem stuff and our $1200 Bose head units.