Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anyone have a full car kit for their phone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 07:03 AM

Anyone have a full car kit for their phone?

I'm looking at the Nokia full car kits, not just the cig lighter ones. The full deal that mutes the stereo and such. I'm not sure how it is supposed to interact with your stereo. Can't find a user manual for it online, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has one installed? Did you do it yourself? How is it supposed to be hooked up?
Old 10-01-2003, 09:58 PM
You will lose

It is a little tricky to do, but it can be done. You need a bunch of relays. On the Nokia Kit there is a mute output that has enough power to trip one relay, use that to switch all the other relays. The easiest way is to use the speaker that comes with it, and use the relay to cut power from the amp turn on wire (one relay needed). The cool way to do it will be a bit more complicated and involved. This time will require 7 relays. One to switch the other six relays, and the other relays reroute the speaker output into the stereo system. If you use two relays to cut positive signal to the rear speakers, you can use the other four relays to get signal into the front speaker system. you need to cut each speaker wire and run them in and out of the relay. Use pole 87a(middle pole) for the speaker inputs on all relays. Use pole 30(bottom) for all speaker outputs. Use pole 87 to run the output from the kit into the system. You must run the output of the kit in series to the front speakers. Use the positive speaker output lead of the kit to the left front positive relay (pole 30). Run the Negative lead to Right front negative relay (pole 30). Connect Pole 30 of the left front negative to the right front positive and voila, you are finished. You do not need to cut the amp turn on wire for this setup, and I recommend you buy an "into" and "out of" radio harness so you can plug and play. Good luck, and if you just can't get it, I can install it for you, but you have to come down to Northern Va.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by TAPOUT
It is a little tricky to do, but it can be done. You need a bunch of relays. On the Nokia Kit there is a mute output that has enough power to trip one relay, use that to switch all the other relays. The easiest way is to use the speaker that comes with it, and use the relay to cut power from the amp turn on wire (one relay needed). The cool way to do it will be a bit more complicated and involved. This time will require 7 relays. One to switch the other six relays, and the other relays reroute the speaker output into the stereo system. If you use two relays to cut positive signal to the rear speakers, you can use the other four relays to get signal into the front speaker system. you need to cut each speaker wire and run them in and out of the relay. Use pole 87a(middle pole) for the speaker inputs on all relays. Use pole 30(bottom) for all speaker outputs. Use pole 87 to run the output from the kit into the system. You must run the output of the kit in series to the front speakers. Use the positive speaker output lead of the kit to the left front positive relay (pole 30). Run the Negative lead to Right front negative relay (pole 30). Connect Pole 30 of the left front negative to the right front positive and voila, you are finished. You do not need to cut the amp turn on wire for this setup, and I recommend you buy an "into" and "out of" radio harness so you can plug and play. Good luck, and if you just can't get it, I can install it for you, but you have to come down to Northern Va.
Now why can't Nokia just say that? lol, that's not that hard. I emailed them to ask for the instruction manual, and they're like "Installation must be done by a professional, blah blah blah." They could have just said, "use relays to mute stuff and splice in the signal to the front speakers," or just given me a list of wire outputs on the car kit, and let me decide if I could install it. That's what I didn't know, is exactly how the kit feeds the phone sound into your speakers, but obviously I didn't consider the kit having speaker level outputs.

Thanks a ton Tapout. I am now confident I can install this if I so choose. Not sure if I want to blow the money on it yet; there's lots of other things I should buy first (like snow tires, gettin' cold out). Thanks again.