Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How do i connect subs to my bose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:45 AM

How do i connect subs to my bose?

Hey all,
I want to to know how I could connect my subwoofers to my bose stereo system without having to get new speakers. Please help.
Thanks
Old 10-13-2003, 01:29 PM

grrrrr

i tried to post in the other forum, but they locked it while i was telling writing on how to do it....

Here is how to do so, assuming that you are near a walmart and a radioshack, or similar electronics part store....

Okay.....

First you will need to purchase the following:

From Walmart:
--------------
1100-Watt Car Amp Wiring Kit (saves you on having to upgrade later):
( http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A3947%3A96490 )

Ford/JBL and GM/Bose Speaker Level Converter:
( http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A3947%3A96490 )

Wire Tap Ins (saves on butchering stock wiring harness):
( http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=64%2D3052 )

How To:
--------

First, you will want to use the tap ins and connect them to the rear speakers. If you look at the wires running into the lower speaker housing (Bose Amp) you will see there are 4 wires. The red and white wires are your + and - wires. The other wires, are your speaker wires. Use the tap ins to connect these to the speaker level converter. Since the BOSE speakers run at 1 to 2 Ohms, versus the stardard 4 Ohms that normal speakers run, you will use the converter to "turn up" the sub output aka volume level.

The speaker level converter will also allow you to connect to your sub via RCA connecters.

As far as your sub's remote wire, i recommend connecting to one of the red (+ power) wires of the rear speakers. Since the rear BOSE amps will not power up unless this wire is hot, your sub will not power up unless it is hot.

Remember, be careful, take your time, and everything will go just fine.

sorry in advance for not remembering the speaker + and - wires and their colors.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:18 PM

Thanks you man! Now all I need is a chance to do this... lol.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:30 PM

Do us all a favor - please don't go to wal-mart. go to a car audio store and get the amp wiring kit from them. they will sell you high-quality wiring (such as rockford or mtx). will be better on your speakers and deliver better power.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:10 PM

i don't think it'll make that big of a difference. you're just basically buying the name IMO
Old 10-15-2003, 06:53 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
i don't think it'll make that big of a difference. you're just basically buying the name IMO

In most cases, wire is wire. I've used expensive name brand wiring kits and cheap ones from Wal-Mart. The last two installs I've done have been with Wal-Mart wiring kits and I honestly couldn't tell a difference - other than name.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by DougC84
Do us all a favor - please don't go to wal-mart. go to a car audio store and get the amp wiring kit from them. they will sell you high-quality wiring (such as rockford or mtx). will be better on your speakers and deliver better power.

Thats very funny. A name is a name is a name. They are all basicall packaged in the same factory, with differrent labels attached. I have had trouble from RF amp kits when i worked at best buy. We just went and bought the 1100 amp kit from wally, and then pocketed the difference (Shhhh! dont tell) Wire is wire, impedence is impedence, and insulation is insulation.

I could understand if you were buying nitrogen purged, self contained wiring kits, like you can buy for high end home theater set-ups, but most people are not.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:18 PM

IMO i would stay away from wall mart. You get what you pay for.....tru there is a markup o name brands but there is a reason for that.....
Oh and the quality of copper in the wire also makes a difference along with the wire insulation and design.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:22 PM

many people use the wal-mart wire kits with stuff, haven't heard anyone complain

if you DO get another wire kit, don't ever pay more than $35 for one.. only reason i got another kit was that my local wal-mart didn't carry the wire kit and i didn't want to wait to order online, so i picked up a $50 kit but i talked the guy down to $35.. the fuse holder looks prettier on this kit
Old 10-16-2003, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by VQvroom
IMO i would stay away from wall mart. You get what you pay for.....tru there is a markup o name brands but there is a reason for that.....
Oh and the quality of copper in the wire also makes a difference along with the wire insulation and design.
Go take a voltimeter adn run an impedence test on the copper in the walmart vs the rockfordx Fosgate kit. IT WAS THE SAME.

Now look, im not a teacher, so please dont make me school you.