Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help with choosing Amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 04:17 PM

Help with choosing Amp

I've got two 12" Audiobahn Subs (High-Excursion, but I'm not sure which year) coming in a custom bandpass box. Here's the info I have on em:

3/8 Inch Plexiglass Window
Blue Interior Neon Lighting Mirrored Interior Panels
Dual 12" Molded, Texture Injected Poly Cone
50 oz. Strontium Magnet
2" 4 Layer ASV Voice Coil
Bumped Back Plate
Extended & Vented Pole Piece
Gold Binding Post Terminals
Power Handling: 800 Watts RMS
Sensitivity: 104dB
Frequency Response: 28Hz - 150Hz
Dimensions: 15"(H) x 29.75"(W) x 16.75"(D)

More info can be found on my other thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=257113

What kind of amp do i need/should i get? I'm looking for inexpensive yet good quality. It says 800 Watts RMS, but it doesn't specify whether that's combined or per sub, so right now I'm assuming its 800 watts total. Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. Based on that conclusion, I'm looking at an 800 watt 2 channel amp to power the subs, running 400 watts to each sub. Right now I'm considering a few Rockford Fosgates on ebay, also a Kicker. Suggestions? Help please!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 12:31 AM

look for PPI. very expensive, but you'll never regret it
Old 10-23-2003, 06:20 AM

#1. dont get PPI for your setup. If you wanted good expensive equipment you would not have gone with those subs.

#2. Those subs are 1-4ohm coil each. So you will have them connected in paralll to give you 2ohm load total. Therefore 2ch amp wont work. Get MONO amp.

#3. For those subs I would sugest JBL600.1 amp. Cheap and good quality. Plus it puts out much more then 600W at two ohm.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:25 AM

Don't make the same mistake me and i'm sure a lot of other people made in the early stage of building a system. If you buy a cheap amp when you want to upgrade and believe me you will, the only thing you will need to do is buy better speakers. Trust me on this.

of course my opinion is biased but i would either go with dei directed class d amp or a memphis class d amp.

Don't sell yourself short on a cheap amp if you got the money to shell out for a higher quality amp that will love you the entire life of your system.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:59 PM

One thing I should note, I plan on upgrading my speakers too, so I'll be wanting to run them from this amp.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:32 PM

B u M p . . .
Old 10-25-2003, 10:20 AM

My advice is tick to JBL. Good amps and fairly priced. As for the power... well this is up to you as yo u know what speakers you might be getting. SO just match the power (speakers to amp) and off you go.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:14 AM
jmax

Whatever amp you choose get one with an infrasonic or subsonic filter. That bandpass box will be nearly impossible to hear when the subs are distorted and therefore easy to blow the subs.

Old 10-25-2003, 01:55 PM

Can anyone give me specifics??? I need an amp that will run my subs at first (for specs on them see above) but I will eventually add speakers. My subs are independent of each other--that is, there are two valves for wires per sub. If needed for clarification, let me know and I'll take a quick picture of the connections on the box.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:37 AM
jmax

Oh no, that description makes it sound as if there will be a learning curve involved. Is that one positive and one negative per sub? That power rating is most likey the combined rating. Try to get a specific model number for the subs. You like fairly close to me so I may be able to give you a hand. I am near Manassas. FYI I always recommend a seperate amp for subs. It's jsut easier when you upgrade even if there is a perfect amp for everything you have now.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by jmax
Try to get a specific model number for the subs.
"7) What type of subs come in the Audiobahn sub enclosures???

Answer: These sub boxes are loaded with the High-Excursion subs. These
subs are specifically designed for these boxes and sound the best in
them. They do not have a specific model # from Audiobahn. The encloseures
are designed and built by Audiobahn for the best sound quality and SPL."
Old 10-26-2003, 09:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree with the seperate amp for subs school. Memphis is awesome, but a little pricy. My friend has 3 10s and a Memphis 1500d amp. LOUD, but loud and expensive. Rockford makes a good amp for the price, and they are all over e-bay.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Concept Audio Monoblock.

www.concept-intl.com

go to the dealer locator, then go get your amp!
Old 10-27-2003, 07:29 AM
jmax

There is a serious lack of info in the description. Nominal voice coil configuration and number of coils per sub. Without this info we don't know how much power the amp will be able to provide the subs.

Old 10-27-2003, 08:25 AM

#1. Find out (OHMS) for each sub.
#2. Find out how they are wired ? Or maybe run seperate ?
#3. Get RMS power rating for those subs.

#4. Get back to us with how much $ you are willing to spend and I bet you any $ that everyone who responds will give you a different amp you can pick
Old 10-27-2003, 08:30 AM

I'll tell you up front that my opinion is biased but research the Crossfire 1000D. It's 1 ohm stable, highly efficient, has a mono block, and plenty of power for what you have now and any speaker you plan to buy in the future. www.crossfirecaraudio.com
Old 10-27-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by crazyravr

#1. Find out (OHMS) for each sub.
#2. Find out how they are wired ? Or maybe run seperate ?
#3. Get RMS power rating for those subs.

#4. Get back to us with how much $ you are willing to spend
I'll email them and see if they can tell me the OHMS for each sub, but I'm doubtful they'll respond.

They are wired separately, as I stated above.

RMS power rating? Didn't I already post that? If not, then I'll ask em, but remember these subs don't have any specific model number from audiobahn--read my above posts and you'll see.

Cash allowance? Well I'm not really sure, I need to take a look around at prices to find a reasonable range first. And in order to do that, I need amps to look at. Keep em coming!

Also--how much do the Crossfire AB 800 amps go for? They don't specify on the site...
Old 10-27-2003, 10:49 AM
jmax

Easier to measure the impedance yourself than to waste time on the phone. Read the post I have above that indicates we live fairly close to each other. If this rain ever stops I can give you a hand figureing out what you have and what you need. I would go with a used amp and wouldn't expect to pay more than $100 to $200 on the amp. There are too many amps to list. The other thing you need to look into is your wireing for the amp or amps. Email me if you want to meet up, j_grieve33@hotmail.com

Old 10-28-2003, 11:37 AM

I'm really not sure but I think the VR602(600 watt) retails for around $350. I don't think any of them retail for more than $450 cuz here the "D" classes start at $500 -$550. Access the dealer locater on the site and check with them for more accurrate pricing. And the main thing I don't like about buying used equipment is you don't know the abuse the previous owner put it through. You get what you pay for so if you want to do this right without putting alot of money into it, build it on a solid foundation that you can add on to rather than change or upgrade.