Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

DIY Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 09:20 AM
UCF Lexus

DIY Dynamat?

I've heard people talk about some type of stuff at Home Depot or Lowe's you can get to do the same thing as Dynamat. I went to Home Depot and asked for sound deadener....and they didnt know what to give me, they took me to the insulation section.

Is there a specific product that it's called?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Custom User Title...

peal n seal?
Old 11-22-2003, 10:18 AM
UCF Lexus

Thats an acutal brand of something? What dept do I look in?
Old 11-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Kevlo for President

its in the roofing section, its called peal and seal

this is what i read a while back in the audio section
Old 11-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You look in the Roofing section.. Their should be some insulation in that aisle and a roll of Peal and Seal..Its looks like Dynamat Extreme, like tin foil with tar. I paid 30 dollars for my roll at Menards.

-Nick
Old 11-22-2003, 10:38 AM
UCF Lexus

Is it cheaper than actual dynamat and does it do just as good as a job?
Old 11-22-2003, 12:01 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

it is ALOT cheaper than dynamat.

You can get a roll and use it.. i believe it has an adhesive so you just stick it to the body. The reason why I didn't do it is because... it is made of tar and that smell sort of lingers inside... not too noticable, but I would imagine during the summer it could get annoying.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:34 PM
UCF Lexus

HEHE, here comes winter

thanks for your help duuuudes
Old 11-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah ok...how about just get some Second Skin. 4get the tar, and 4get dynamat. Get something that works better www.secondskinaudio.com
Im getting myself a pack of STFU...and the name is just the icing on the cake

If you want to research on it, go to www.caraudioforum.com and use search.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:23 PM

I used peal and seal during the summer and only noticed a smell for the first couple of days after application.

Wait a second, dont you have to have a trunk before you can apply sound deadening to it? Or even a car............
Old 11-23-2003, 05:34 PM
UCF Lexus

It's for a friend
Old 11-23-2003, 10:15 PM
jmax

They don't use tar on peel and seal and there is no smell. It's likely the same or so nearly the same adhesive as used in dynamat, second skin, ramm mat, etc. All of these products have certain batches of adhesive that don't come out exactly right. Dynamat charges enough money that they probably don't ever sell the bad batches, i.e. the quality control department is better funded. Take a chance on $1 per square foot peel & seal or spend $10 per square foot for the "name brand" product. I'd be willing to bet money that if you spend $100 on both products you'll get a lot more useable peel & seal, second skin, brown bread, Edead, ramm mat, etc. than what you will have gotten for the same dollar amount of dynamat.

Old 11-23-2003, 10:24 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

trust me, IT WILL SMELL. also, it will sag on vertical surfaces during the summer.

i ordered their sample, and when I sniffed it.. damn
Old 11-23-2003, 10:32 PM
jmax

You must have gotten the "bad batch". It happens. But at $1 per square foot I can afford to have that happen 9 times before I waste any money. Just go to lowes or ace hardware and buy a few feet. The good batches won't sag any more than anything else. And once again, it doesn't smell unless they changed the adhesive formula. I've had it in my car that I carpool to work. No one smelled a thing in the summer when it was put in the car, over a year ago.

Old 11-23-2003, 10:45 PM

Not all dampers have bad batches of material. some do. but not all.

Peel and seal is similar but not the same as dynamat
it has a heat tolelrance of 150 degrees F. and uses an sbs modified asphalt bitumen base, where as dynamat is modified sbr an can tollerate heat up to 300.
the heat shield on dynamt is 4 mils thick, 1.5 (i think ) on peel and seel

there are lots of good alternatives out there:
rammat
brown bread
edead
Second Skin damplifier or stfu80

I just stopped by because I heard someone talking about my products!
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask or email me
service@secondskinaudio.com
I am always happy to help
even if you dont use secondskin

ANT
Old 11-23-2003, 10:55 PM
jmax

I seem to remember reading that peel and seal had a total thickness of 45 mils, 40 mils of that as adhesive. Whatever it is it's printed on the packageing. To err is human, the bad batch will happen. Like I said the standards for roofing material are different than for what people put in their car. But that doesn't make a roofing product inferior. As I indicated on the other thread the best materials aren't mentioned on web forums. They are made specific to a customers needs.

For the average person looking for marginal improvement in their car audio environment the low cost of something such as peel & seal makes it the perfect starting point for learning how to install the material.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by jmax
I seem to remember reading that peel and seal had a total thickness of 45 mils, 40 mils of that as adhesive. Whatever it is it's printed on the packageing. To err is human, the bad batch will happen. Like I said the standards for roofing material are different than for what people put in their car. But that doesn't make a roofing product inferior. As I indicated on the other thread the best materials aren't mentioned on web forums. They are made specific to a customers needs.

For the average person looking for marginal improvement in their car audio environment the low cost of something such as peel & seal makes it the perfect starting point for learning how to install the material.
Learning how to install YES I can not argue with that, its a good starting point to "learn" on. I woulnt want to mess up using something like SS so yeah to learn on its perfect. On any give project, personally id use Second Skin over dynamat anyday.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:46 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by second skin rep
Not all dampers have bad batches of material. some do. but not all.

Peel and seal is similar but not the same as dynamat
it has a heat tolelrance of 150 degrees F. and uses an sbs modified asphalt bitumen base, where as dynamat is modified sbr an can tollerate heat up to 300.
the heat shield on dynamt is 4 mils thick, 1.5 (i think ) on peel and seel

there are lots of good alternatives out there:
rammat
brown bread
edead
Second Skin damplifier or stfu80

I just stopped by because I heard someone talking about my products!
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask or email me
I am always happy to help
even if you dont use secondskin

ANT

so now that you're here, how about a group deal?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
so now that you're here, how about a group deal?
ANT if you go 4 it, Im IN
Old 11-24-2003, 08:03 AM

if a GD on this happens. Im in
Old 11-24-2003, 03:45 PM

Peel and seel is 45 mils thick and at best has a heat tolerance of 150 f. in order for it to have a 40 mil adhesive base it would have to have a 5 mil heat shield. if this were the case it would have a higher heat tollerance than 150. I think the heat shield is 1.5 mils thick, 2 at the most ( dont remeber exactly), which is not an uncommon or undesireable thickness.

Some, not all, (but cetainly Peel and Seal), roofing products are inferior simply because of the products tollerance to heat. This is not a flaw of the product, after all they were designed to be installed on a roof. It is more of a flaw of the application. Even thoughthe substrates used in cars are made up of similar raw materials, the formula composition are very different.

Peel and seel is a good product to use if the car is not exposed to temperatures over 100 degrees, is light in color or has good factory insulation.
Like Jmax said. it is a good starter material to practice with since it is a little cheaper than most. unfortunately, saving money now migh end up costing you more in the future cleaning your carpet and upholstery.
If you want to test it ou, try it on your trunk lid during the summer. if it lasts through the summer you are probably good.

Some people have great success with peel and seal. however many do not.
To me, it is not worth taking a risk. I live in AZ where it gets over 115 regularly. wouldnt be worth it to me. but for someone in the right climate and with the right car, it would be a nice alternative.

it only costs $1-$1.30 psf so why not if the terms are right?!

These days there are so many great damping mats out there
rammat
edead
brown bread
etc...
it is hard not to go with one of them especially since most of them are proven to work in automobiles, and are only $1-2 psf also.

as far as the group buy goes, that is all dependant upon the forum admin.
I dont want to get kicked off of this forum for spanming it or breaking any other policy in the user agreement.
I am up for it if someone wants to email me
Old 11-24-2003, 04:07 PM
jmax

You've got mail.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:34 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

did this group deal ever go through??
Old 02-05-2004, 11:43 AM

What is the roller thingy called? I went to two Home Depot's and they looked at me like I from another planet when I asked for a roller. Any sugestions where I can buy one? The only had really wide oned in both the Home Depots I went too.
Thanks

Originally Posted by second skin rep
Peel and seel is 45 mils thick and at best has a heat tolerance of 150 f. in order for it to have a 40 mil adhesive base it would have to have a 5 mil heat shield. if this were the case it would have a higher heat tollerance than 150. I think the heat shield is 1.5 mils thick, 2 at the most ( dont remeber exactly), which is not an uncommon or undesireable thickness.

Some, not all, (but cetainly Peel and Seal), roofing products are inferior simply because of the products tollerance to heat. This is not a flaw of the product, after all they were designed to be installed on a roof. It is more of a flaw of the application. Even thoughthe substrates used in cars are made up of similar raw materials, the formula composition are very different.

Peel and seel is a good product to use if the car is not exposed to temperatures over 100 degrees, is light in color or has good factory insulation.
Like Jmax said. it is a good starter material to practice with since it is a little cheaper than most. unfortunately, saving money now migh end up costing you more in the future cleaning your carpet and upholstery.
If you want to test it ou, try it on your trunk lid during the summer. if it lasts through the summer you are probably good.

Some people have great success with peel and seal. however many do not.
To me, it is not worth taking a risk. I live in AZ where it gets over 115 regularly. wouldnt be worth it to me. but for someone in the right climate and with the right car, it would be a nice alternative.

it only costs $1-$1.30 psf so why not if the terms are right?!

These days there are so many great damping mats out there
rammat
edead
brown bread
etc...
it is hard not to go with one of them especially since most of them are proven to work in automobiles, and are only $1-2 psf also.

as far as the group buy goes, that is all dependant upon the forum admin.
I dont want to get kicked off of this forum for spanming it or breaking any other policy in the user agreement.
I am up for it if someone wants to email me
Old 02-05-2004, 11:30 PM
jmax

Look in the wall paper section. It is a wall paper roller.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:05 PM

They didnt have it there.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 94M@X
They didnt have it there.
check here bro....winter clearance
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...349&forumid=81