Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

headunit install sucked... i get popping sounds, help

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 12:22 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

headunit install sucked... i get popping sounds, help

yeah well, it was a freakin ***** to remove the ******* dash. I scratched one of my OEM dash kit peices (ash tray), lost one of the ash tray clips, stripped 2 of the mother****in screws that secure the bose headunit... kajs;fasdf

i left the bose headunit in there because i put my mp3 player in the cubby slot. I avoided using the bose adapters and wired the speakers to RCA jacks and then plugged them into the preamps... now I get a popping sound whenever i switch radio stations, turn on the headunit, and whenever I turn the volume all the way down.

any ideas?? could it be related to bad grounding? I don't know, someone mentioned that the bose harness didn't have a ground wire connection so I had to ground the black wires to the chassis... i just picked a bracket and stuck it there.

oh yeah, i noticed that only half the LED's work on the auto climate console... like the screen and half the buttons work... while the other half of the bottuns (MODE, and fan speed) are off. Any ideas??

Either way, I think im gonna take it apart and redo it. Please gimme some ideas about the problems i am having, thanks.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:03 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

could bad grounding cause popping sounds like that?
Old 11-27-2003, 08:44 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

yes it could. go back and check all ur wiring if u have the time, make sure all connections are solid. seems like ur getting popping because as u change stations there is a mute type of function and then sound comes back, well what most likely is happening is that the headunit isn't storing power or sending any to the amps on the speakers during station changes and what not, causing them to pop as they begin to recieve power/sound again thats my opinion
as far as the lights in the climate control, they are very sensitive so they could have come loose, i dont know how u can fix.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This has to do with the Bose system. A friend of mine had a Sony HU installed to run with the bose speakers. No adapter. Whenever he turned it on, changed stations or changed to CD changer, it would make this annoying popping sound.

I had a similar setup, but with the adapter. No popping. When I replaced everything, I gave him my adapter, as soon as he plugged it in, popping went away, AND it sounded alot better (relatively, considering it was using the bose speakers)
Old 11-28-2003, 12:15 PM

The Bose systems in our Max's MUST have the adapter being used if your hooking up aftermarket units. If not, you're going to only run into problems. The Bose units are set up in a way, where the Ohm output is different to distribute the output to the Bose speakers and amps. The adapter is made to compensate this installation if you upgrade to aftermarket. To me, I think the Bose units are junk. That is why when I bought my 2K SE, I removed it immediately. I did not like the sound at all. And yeah, the Bose readio was a pain in the a** to remove! I had to drill mine out also!
Old 11-28-2003, 03:02 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

so if I were to get the adapter, would I still be using the RCA preamps? Or do I just connect the wires to the pioneer headunit harness?