Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How do you know if your sub has blown??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:59 AM

How do you know if your sub has blown??

I was tweaking my system b/c i wanted to increase the gain on my mids... after some adjusting of the mids(turning up the gain), i was hearing engine noise through the speaker and I was ....

So i turned down the gain, the engine noise is gone, now the bass sounds different. It doesnt seem to hit low anymore, it's just sounds nasty.

sidenote: There are two **** that are on the sub amp, the gain and something else. I dont know what that *** is but, i turned it up all the way and the sub made a "ERRRR" sound even when the radio was off... i have no idea..

My system is set up like this:

4 channel RF amp for the mids
1 amp bridged for the sub (getting signal from RCA wire that is connect to the RF amp)

obviously, im a , any suggestions??

why did i pick up engine noise when i turned up the gain?
How do you know if your sub is blown or not?
Old 03-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The other **** is most likely a filter of some sorts (not sure whether its low pass or high pass). I suppose if you cranked the low pass filter all the way up, you could be letting some high frequencies get to your subs. Although I have no idea why that would make them go ERRRR. To be safe, for the time being, you can probably put both ***** at about halfway position. This will probably result in your gain not being too high, and it should set the low pass to around 80-100 Hz. Every amp is different, as is every system, so this won't be a perfect fix. You still need to set the gains correctly.

The fact that the subs are making a noise when the HU is off is not good.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:30 PM

The Bose speakers in my 91 GXE went ERRRR when the stock Bose amps blew...
Old 03-02-2004, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Neptune97
The other **** is most likely a filter of some sorts (not sure whether its low pass or high pass). I suppose if you cranked the low pass filter all the way up, you could be letting some high frequencies get to your subs. Although I have no idea why that would make them go ERRRR. To be safe, for the time being, you can probably put both ***** at about halfway position. This will probably result in your gain not being too high, and it should set the low pass to around 80-100 Hz. Every amp is different, as is every system, so this won't be a perfect fix. You still need to set the gains correctly.

The fact that the subs are making a noise when the HU is off is not good.

Thx for the input..

here the update...

I did turn down the gains to about half and the bass is still the same. Now the front right speaker is making a noise even when the radio if off......

What i did next was take out the RCA cables that was connecting the two amps, and the noise all went away. I can turn up the gain on my mids and no NOISE whatsoever..

Now the questions is... maybe my bass amp is going bad or something...
Old 03-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you run your rca cords next to you power cord you are gonna get noise, im not sure if that could be a problem, but the other thing could be that the inputs/outputs on your amp have used up their life OR your amp overheated and is interfearing with your engine (it happened to me) and if your sub was fully blown you would be able to tell by the rubbery ring surrounding the cone and your sound would sound like you were playing it under a couple thick layers of cloth.(happened to me also) my suggestion is find a friend with a reasonably close amp to yours and try it on his/hers, if it doesnt work on his/hers it your sub.