Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I want tv for the back but i have a sunroof.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:23 PM

I want tv for the back but i have a sunroof.....

I have a 99 SE and i have the sunroof. Is it possible for me to take out the stock dome lights (for the rear passengers) and replace it with a flip down lcd that comes with dome lights, and at the same time, have some part of the monitor go over the sunroof space?

oh, and also make the lights fuction the way the do with the stock dome lights, turn on/off with the alarm entrance.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

never ever put any part of an overhead video system overlapping the sunroof, it will allow moisture and other stuff to get behind and inside of the unit.

yes you can take out the dome lights, some overhead systems have dome lights built into them which just need to be wired to work (of course)

i can suggest headrest TV's but i have not really looked into overheads for our car, i will check it out tonight or tommorow and post back. i think that a roof-mount or overhead unit might sit back too far with the sunroof.

also as a side note because our sunroofs go into the car (as opposed to tilting and sliding back above the car) i dont think it is very likely that it will work well
Old 03-11-2004, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by mclarke
never ever put any part of an overhead video system overlapping the sunroof, it will allow moisture and other stuff to get behind and inside of the unit.

yes you can take out the dome lights, some overhead systems have dome lights built into them which just need to be wired to work (of course)

i can suggest headrest TV's but i have not really looked into overheads for our car, i will check it out tonight or tommorow and post back. i think that a roof-mount or overhead unit might sit back too far with the sunroof.

also as a side note because our sunroofs go into the car (as opposed to tilting and sliding back above the car) i dont think it is very likely that it will work well

I was thinking the same thing.. I figured the tv would be too close for the rear passengers if i had installed an overhead system, even if it did overlap the sunroof.
And i really don't want tv's for the headrests.
So now i am thinking of of two things:
1) getting the headrest brackets

2) I remember seeing this on crutchfield but i can't find it anymore:
It's a long bar that goes where the rear handles are, above the rear passenger's windows. Do you know what i am talking about? It's where you would hang your jacket or shirt, etc..
There would be a bar on each side and i'd hook up a tv on both ends and they would flip down. This is the one that i want.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:20 AM
I need a truck

PM william metallic97gxe he's got a flipdown in his car. Don't know if he's got a sunroof though
Old 03-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

interesting idea.... not for me, but ive never seen one.. lemme know if you find one or have a pic of one, im interested in the design
Old 03-11-2004, 06:00 PM

a lot of screens come with the brackets you are referring to...PM Pearl96Max if u have any other questions about them
Old 03-12-2004, 07:07 AM

I think its a bad idea for a Max...Your rear passengers will have headaches and still necks from trying to watch it. I mounted my rear screen on the back of the arm rest console. Thats a much better spot plus a little less obvious.