Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Review: Kenwood KDC-X979

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Review: Kenwood KDC-X979

As some of you know, my Kenwood Z828 MP3 Head unit was first of all getting old and second the clip broke to hold the face on - I'd been using bailing wire to hold it together.

So I figured it was time to get a new deck.

After researching for a few weeks for my requirements (Sirrius Radio <since I already have it>, SQ, tunability, detachable face, WMA/MP3, 5v pre-outs, etc) - this is what I chose - The Kenwood KDC-X979:

I know some of you will say "Why didn't you go video?"
The answer is simple - I don't watch movies when I drive or have ANY wish to.
I also never park for long periods of time and sit in it. If I've got extra time, I get out and change the oil or check on the S/C or something.
I honestly have no care to own video.

Anyway - I got the deck yesterday and headed from picking it up at the apartment office straight to the garage to install it.

Install was pretty simple - the usual stuff. Removed the old deck, snipped a few wires, and reconnected. (I already had an adapter harness installed).

Here are the specs:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2596

Cons first:
The deck interestingly doesn't have the usual L/R Non-Fading outs for the sub. It has a single sub-only (automatically crossed over) RCA. I had to split this to make it work on my 2-channel amp, but it's bridged in mono going to 1 sub anyway - so no big deal.

It does have a Center Channel RCA output also, but according to some literature I read, it needs a powered center channel speaker. Noone seems to sell this yet searching sites like crutchfield.com. Future upgrade perhaps?

That's it - no more Cons.

Pros:
I have changed nothing but the deck during this install. And HOLY CRAP this deck sounds 1,000 times better. It sounds just gorgeous. I can hear cymbals, voices, and little cues in music I never knew existed before.

The Deck comes with Dolby Surround OR "SRS WOW", Kenwoods Digital Processing.

I am using the SRS WOW right now because it is more tunable. I can quickly adjust what seat in the car I want the music to be set up for (front driver, front pass, rear, or all) OR I go go into the zillion settings and set each and every speaker seperately by distance from ear using the delay mode on the DSP. (I know, some of you purists will say all DSP's suck on decks - but the truth is, this one used in moderation. I hardly have the settings off "null" anywhere - just minor tuning) works very well.

I then have crossover (HP for mids/tweets, LP for sub) that is adjustable in 10Hz differences.

It uses a + type graph for adjusting the fader/balance, so it is visually very easy to use. SPeaking of visually, the display is VERY clear and easy to read - even in direct sunlight.

The Head unit also allows you to adjust where the front panel sits (angle) and whether or not it sticks out of the dash or is recessed. This is all motorized with the push of a button.

It has Front, Rear, Center, Sub, and Aux RCA's on it. It also is HD Radio Ready and my Sirrius Sattelite Radio transferred over to the new deck without even a hiccup.

Basically, this is an amazing deck. It's cool to see how far Kenwood has come since 2 years ago - when I bought their previously best head unit.

Pics to follow as soon as I get done being lazy and go take them.

The best part is how incredibly tunable this deck is - I can't say that enough. I researched before buying and I couldn't find any other deck that was so tunable in so many ways at such granular increments. There's a built in EQ even - or you can use the usal Bass/Treble/Mid Controls for quick tuning.

Did I mention this deck is INCREDIBLY TUNABLE?

I have previously owned a Kenwood Z828, various Pioneer decks, a Sony CDX-910 ($1200 comp deck), and Alpine, and a Clarion.

I don't know if it's the Diamond HEX Speakers combined with the deck or just the deck - but this is the best I've personally heard in my own car.

Overall score is 9 out of 10.

IanS
Old 05-26-2004, 05:36 PM

i'm glad you like it! I've always had a kenwood HU, and may never go with anything else. i especially love the d-mask.