Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Bad Radio Reception after installing aftermarket Head unit...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 07:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bad Radio Reception after installing aftermarket Head unit...

Is this something that normally happens? The radio that I put in never had these issues in the other car that it was installed in. Now that I put it in my Maxima, I don't get very good radio reception. Is this normal?
Old 07-26-2004, 07:08 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by NCTRNL
Is this something that normally happens? The radio that I put in never had these issues in the other car that it was installed in. Now that I put it in my Maxima, I don't get very good radio reception. Is this normal?
ok, there is plugging in the antenna, which i assume you did, and then there is POWERING the antenna, which i made that silly mistake, so i can only assume you could have as well. one of the wires is the antenna turn on wire. i *think* you can connect that to your accessory wire on the radio, but your new radio harness should have a wire for the antenna.

if it doesn't, like i said, you can tap that into the radio's acc. wire, meaning it'll turn on when you turn on the car.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:12 AM

The guy who installed the radio did the harness just like any other radio he's ever done. Is this separate power wire for the antenna anything different than any other car?
Old 07-26-2004, 07:45 AM
2-Wheelin it...

The guy who installed the radio did the harness just like any other radio he's ever done. Is this separate power wire for the antenna anything different than any other car?
oh, so you had it done.

ok, well i don't know other cars, as every car i've owned has been a maxima, and all of THOSE are the same.
the antenna can be connected, but you need to turn on the antenna motor.
we dotn' have an antenna motor (typical motor that raises and lowers the antenna). we have that dot matrix, which has the antenna built into the rear glass. i assumed that simply connecting it just did everything, but that rear windshield has an antenna amplifier, and THAT is connected via the antenna turn on wire. again, when i did it, i simply connected it, and that was it. after reading it, i finally realized that although we don't have the motor, we have the amplifier. he could have possibly made the same mistake by not seeing a physical antenna that raises and assumed there was no antenna wire to turn on.

i would bring it back and have him check 2 things.

1) physical antenna main cable (the thick one) make sure that's connected.

2) check that antenna wire is connected.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:58 AM

I had the same problem. I had mine installed at a local shop and had to take it back twice before they could fix it. The second time I posted the problem on here and got some good replies (with pictures) which I printed out and took back to them. The used that to fix it. Unfortunately the serach is disabled for me but if you can search, try and find my post.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:02 AM

Okay, thank you for the explanation. I am almost sure that is what happened. I was there when he installed it and he asked me if I had a power antenna...I told him no so I am sure that is what happened. Thank you very much.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:15 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Okay, thank you for the explanation. I am almost sure that is what happened. I was there when he installed it and he asked me if I had a power antenna...I told him no so I am sure that is what happened. Thank you very much.
yeah, ya got it.....when you see him, tell him that we dont' have antenna's, but we have built in antennas in the rear windshield, with an antenna amplifier. so that is, in a way, like the motor. turning on a typical motor is reallyl turning on the amplifier, activating the built in antenna.

let us know when you get back. when i get home, i'll pull the FSM and show a picture of it just for future reference for anyone else.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:40 AM

My old Eclipse HU had horrible reception and it was definately hooked up right. My new Kenwood has incredible reception.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 AM

Well, it's an Alpine that was always great in my Camaro but when I hooked it up in this car it was getting bad reception. This will fix it though.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:20 PM
S_H_I_F_T_

Originally Posted by PoLo
yeah, ya got it.....when you see him, tell him that we dont' have antenna's, but we have built in antennas in the rear windshield, with an antenna amplifier. so that is, in a way, like the motor. turning on a typical motor is reallyl turning on the amplifier, activating the built in antenna.

let us know when you get back. when i get home, i'll pull the FSM and show a picture of it just for future reference for anyone else.

polo do you happen to have that reference?
Old 09-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

yeah my buddy just got an alpine installed in his 03 altima.....you need to purchase an amp for the antenna...its like 50 bucks....he got that installed by the same place and works fine now....
Old 09-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Says.."No mo Maximas for me!"

ok, well i don't know other cars, as every car i've owned has been a maxima, and all of THOSE are the same.
Didn't you have a CRX originally?
Old 09-06-2004, 05:42 PM
2-Wheelin it...

i've owned many a cars, down the list....
Datsun Wagon, Renault, Pulsar, CRX, 91Max, 92Max, then this one..
i guess i was just making a statement, as the maxima is the only car i truly know like the back of my hand....
Old 09-06-2004, 07:23 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

i've owned many a cars, down the list....
Datsun Wagon, Renault, Pulsar, CRX, 91Max, 92Max, then this one..
i guess i was just making a statement, as the maxima is the only car i truly know like the back of my hand....

Exactly how many bones are in the back of your hand?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:38 PM

This should fix your issue with poor reception. IThe tread is a bit old, back when i first got my '02, but it is the fix and should be the one for the '03 as well

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=122577

Give a shout if you need a hand.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:52 AM

ok, there is plugging in the antenna, which i assume you did, and then there is POWERING the antenna, which i made that silly mistake, so i can only assume you could have as well. one of the wires is the antenna turn on wire. i *think* you can connect that to your accessory wire on the radio, but your new radio harness should have a wire for the antenna.

if it doesn't, like i said, you can tap that into the radio's acc. wire, meaning it'll turn on when you turn on the car.

i believe it was I that forgot that PoLo, you silly *****. lol. whoops...my bad.