Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

is it ok if i bridge my sony xplod amp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 08:39 PM

is it ok if i bridge my sony xplod amp?

im just wondering if i could do it with this amp and, would it be a big of a difference
Old 08-25-2004, 08:52 PM

2Da Max,

Ok first of all is it a 4 channel amp or is it a 2 channel amp?

At what ohm load is your amp stable too?
(If you don't know just tell me the model # for your amp).

If I'm not mistaken your new system consist of 2 DVC subs, instead of a single sub in a tube correct?

Are the subs duel 2,4 or 6ohm voice coils?
(If you don't know just tell me the sub woofer model #).

Answer these questions then we'll talk about whats the right way to wire up your system.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you plan to run a sub? How do you have it hooked up right now? I am not too familiar with Sony's explode stuff, but I would think that there would be some kind of markings telling you what connections to use to bridge the amp (there is a picure on Crutchfield's web site of a sony amp-- http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xfmEvyt...display=XL#Tab). Basically if you bridge the amp it will produce the same total power as if you were running the amp at 2 ohms stereo. If you are running the amp at 4 ohms stereo then, you will get more juice out of it by bridging it (this can range from doubling the power, to producing 1.5x's more power). I am only running one sub, so when I had a two channel amp I bridged it to get all of the power the amp could produce to my one sub.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:22 PM

1996BlackMax,

Only problem with what your saying is you don't know that he is using 2 DVC subwoofers. If he bridged his amp into a 2ohm load & then wired up his subs in parallel the ohm load would drop to 1ohm. Which may or may not be stable with his amp. And thats assuming that his sub's are duel 4ohm voice coils. If his subs are duel 2ohm voice coils that would be 1/2ohm.
If his subs are duel 4ohm it would be best for him to leave his amp wired 4ohm stereo (not bridged) so the amp doesn't work as hard & wire his subs in Parallel to reduce the ohm load.
The other option would be bridge the amp into a 2ohm & wire the subs in series which would maintain his 2ohm load.
However if the amp is capable of supporting the 1ohm load then he can bridge the amp & wire the subs in parallel & achieve the 1ohm load. But I wouldn't recommend this for a SQ set up.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:41 PM

sorry about not giving you guys all that info i didnt know it was that important lol. alrite the model number is xm-ds1300p5 it has 4 ohms. 200 watt minimum power output. watever that means. and guys i took out that stupid box. it was ported and it didnt sound as good as the tube, there wasnt that much bass at all it was just loud. so i just have one punch dvc BACK in the tube again facing the trunk in the corner.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:57 PM

2 Da Max,

Your amp is a mono (non bridgable) amp rated @
200wRMS @ 4ohms.
400w RMS @ 2ohms.
"This looks like your amp correct"?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GSUKChS...=xm%2Dds1300p5

Your subwoofer is duel voice coil (DVC). That means you have 2 sets of (positive & negative) on the back of the woofer. So heres how you want to wire it.
http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#1dvcp

This is called wiring in parallel. What this will do is force your amplifier to produce the 400wRMS @ 2ohm rating. Instead of only 200wRMS @ 4ohms.

Now lets set your gains & crossover!!!
Adjust the gain control to around 25% (for now)
Adjust the crossover so it's around 75hrz.
Adjust your bass boost to +3db (no higher for now ok)

Please, please, please do not catch anything on fire. Keep me posted....
Old 08-26-2004, 12:20 AM

alrite man thanx ill try that in the morning
Old 08-26-2004, 12:27 AM

What in the morning, hard core audio guy's take care of buisness A.S.A.P. Get on the ball son? lol

alright man, well see how things turn out...
Old 08-26-2004, 08:55 AM

my punch dvc only has one set of that terminal thing on one side.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:36 PM

i went to my audio store and the dude said i have the old DVC which makes no sense because why would it be a dvc without a duel voice coil?
Old 08-26-2004, 05:40 PM

Are you sure it's a DVC? I went to rockfords website & they don't even show a DVC woofer with single + & - leads. Only the SVC woofers has 1 set of + & - . Give me the model number on the back of the woofer so I can figure this thing out for you. If it really is a DVC with only 1 set + & - then you might be screwed as far as getting your amp to produce the 400w output level? Well have to see, so hook me up with the model # for your sub & I'll do alittle research for ya....
Old 08-26-2004, 08:29 PM

i just got a digital camera today, ill take a pic of the woofer and ill show it to u
Old 08-26-2004, 08:32 PM

lol wait that wont help alrite ill have to take it out the tube and ill let you know by the way thanks alot nostrixoide i really appreciate your help, youve helped me out more than anyone else i have asked at the electronics store, lol they wanted me to buy a new sub and everyting which im planning too since this one is a hand me down and real old
Old 08-27-2004, 04:13 PM

Well if you do plan on purchasing a new sub woofer. Then make absolutely sure that you get a DVC sub that has 2 sets of + & - on the back. Then that sony amp will be able to really pump. I'm not sure what type of woofer your looking but I would either stick with a rockford fosgate or maybe a JL Audio. I have heard both of those brands when mounted in a tube & they sound pretty good. So I say stick with either one of those. Hurry up & get those pictures up so we can get your system banging???
Old 08-27-2004, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
1996BlackMax,

Only problem with what your saying is you don't know that he is using 2 DVC subwoofers. If he bridged his amp into a 2ohm load & then wired up his subs in parallel the ohm load would drop to 1ohm. Which may or may not be stable with his amp. And thats assuming that his sub's are duel 4ohm voice coils. If his subs are duel 2ohm voice coils that would be 1/2ohm.
If his subs are duel 4ohm it would be best for him to leave his amp wired 4ohm stereo (not bridged) so the amp doesn't work as hard & wire his subs in Parallel to reduce the ohm load.
The other option would be bridge the amp into a 2ohm & wire the subs in series which would maintain his 2ohm load.
However if the amp is capable of supporting the 1ohm load then he can bridge the amp & wire the subs in parallel & achieve the 1ohm load. But I wouldn't recommend this for a SQ set up.

That is why I asked what he had, I was not assuming. I am well aware of what is involved in wiring up a subwoofer as well as how to extract all of the power I can from my amplifiers. I gave him a general idea of what a bridged amp does in comparison to running it at 4 ohm in stereo.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:18 PM

I know you were not assuming anything. I was just trying to make you more aware of his equiptment so you could join in our little thread. 2 Da Max seems like a cool head & I know any help you can give him or knowledge about audio in general he will totally appriciate it. So please if you wish get involved & put in your 2 pennies. Everything here is friendly & helpful. So your info will be respected....
Old 08-27-2004, 07:46 PM

Thanks guys. alright heres the deal, im working on my cardomain right now, besides cardomain is there any other way i could post pix on this?
Old 08-27-2004, 07:50 PM

o by the way nitrous i am thinking about buying a box too because all my friends say i will get alot better sound out of them. and i probably might stick with the rocford, but i dont know the sony xplod looks nice, but i dont know much about that i was just figuring since i have a sony amp, i might as well buy a sony speaker, but any ways ill go with your guys opinion. I am moving to a 12 inch though, my friends want me to get an L7 but thats a little too much for me.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
I know you were not assuming anything. I was just trying to make you more aware of his equiptment so you could join in our little thread. 2 Da Max seems like a cool head & I know any help you can give him or knowledge about audio in general he will totally appriciate it. So please if you wish get involved & put in your 2 pennies. Everything here is friendly & helpful. So your info will be respected....

I was trying to get info on his equipment, as I had asked him in my first post. I do not believe I was being unfriendly. You were the one that was trying to give me a lesson in wiring woofers to an amp when one was not needed. I got on here trying to lend a hand. I remember how frustrating it was when I was first learning about car audio, and how little help I got from stereo shops when I would ask questions (once they learned I just wanted information before I made a purchase and was not ready to buy that day, they would kind of lose interest in helping). This is why I am more than happy to help out when I can, and this is part of the reason that I joined the Org. So like you said lets keep it friendly and helpful, and move on .
Old 08-27-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
o by the way nitrous i am thinking about buying a box too because all my friends say i will get alot better sound out of them. and i probably might stick with the rocford, but i dont know the sony xplod looks nice, but i dont know much about that i was just figuring since i have a sony amp, i might as well buy a sony speaker, but any ways ill go with your guys opinion. I am moving to a 12 inch though, my friends want me to get an L7 but thats a little too much for me.

What kind of sound do you want to get from your sub? I have a 12" L7, it's been in my car for a few years now. I have it wired to my amp which is rated at 740 watts RMS. When I push this thing you can sure feel it, and it gets pretty loud. It is a pretty rugged sub, I've had no problems with it. I am now looking for something that can be installed in about the same size enclosure, but play cleaner. I am planning on getting something from www.soundsplinter.com in the near future, very good performance with very reasonable prices.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:07 AM

1996BlackMax,

Sorry you took what I was saying as a lesson. i sure didn't feel like I was acting like the teacher. But either way, it's beyond us now so it's all good.

2 Da Max,

Yes, I prefer boxes over tubes also, even though I would probably use a tube in like the back of a small p/u truck. They both have there own sound? I'm not the biggest fan of pre-fabbed boxes. Ya know like those ones at Best Buy, Circuit City, The good guy's etc. I prefer to build my own custom enclosure. If you have ever done any wood work before it's really simple to do. You just need to built it to the correct air space. Especially if you want a sealed box. Those are the easiest to build. also it's the cheapest way to go. All together the materials to build a box would cost you about $40 bucks & that includes carpeting. If you don't have the tools or know how, I would suggest having a decent stereo shop build one for you. They sound alot better then pre-fabbed garbage in my opinion. Besides it's worth the extra $20 - $40 bucks on top of what it would cost you to bye pre-fabbed. If you feel like you want to try and build your own box, let me know what kind of woofer you bye & what the air space requirements are for that subwoofer. Then I can do all the math & tell you exactly how big each piece of wood is gonna be. So all you'll have to do is measure, cut & screw together.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:56 PM

sorry bout that guys i just came back from the carribean, neways right now i am not sure what sub to get since i am saving up, but thanks for all the info guys, and i am trying to put up a cardomain to show you guys my setup.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:13 PM

What ever woofer you purchase, just make sure that it is DVC so you can utalize all the power of your amp. And try to stay away from the garbage stuff. I have faith that you no what will be suitable for your application.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:58 AM

alrite man once i get some money ill let you guys know