Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Speaker wire, RCAs? Where to get them and do the make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 02:57 PM

Speaker wire, RCAs? Where to get them and do the make a difference?

Where should i get these and do they really make that much of a difference by brand? Is it ok to just use regular radio shack wiring or will i notice a significant difference using monster, stinger or streetwires?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:08 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by Certified Beast
Where should i get these and do they really make that much of a difference by brand? Is it ok to just use regular radio shack wiring or will i notice a significant difference using monster, stinger or streetwires?

first af all YES it is a diffrence.

why: the bigger the spk wire the more contact or lets say more sound going through the wire. if you use big monster spk wire you will notice alot more bass in the spk.

rca: the better the rca the less noice you will notice one the car is running. cheap rca tend to patch the engine noice through the spk.

if you wanna shop at radio shack get power wire for a turn on lead for the amp. simple stuff. I use 0 gauge from voodoo and my rca are phoenix gold. you could get them at a local audio shop.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:38 PM

Brands of wire do make a difference in some cases. Some folks will sell you a 4 gauge power wire that has the same amount of copper as an 8 or 6 gauge wire. So look for a higher strand count, typically found in higher quality brands...cause there's a lot of crap coming in from overseas for cheap right now. Another trick to oppose noise is to go with twisted speaker wire & RCA vs. the side by side wire. Any noise that's induced is canceled out with the twisted wire. People will say wire is wire, not true. As far as brands go, any of the upper end brands you're going to get what you pay for. Although I know Monster's price is severly is overinflated. You may have an expensive high-voltage output deck and a high quality amplifier, but having a tight wallet when it comes to the interconnects is a bad idea. It will make your whole system sound like garbage. Wire it right the first time!!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:08 PM

i have walmart rca's along woth my bro and a friend and we all have absolutely no noise problems. just buy the right gauge wire for the speakers and your fine. i also use walmart speaker wire.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
i have walmart rca's along woth my bro and a friend and we all have absolutely no noise problems. just buy the right gauge wire for the speakers and your fine. i also use walmart speaker wire.

we are not saying that cheap wire are not good at all. its just the thicker the wire the better. try it yourself. this goes for car audio, house audio and everything. I know I've been there I've done so many.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:31 PM

i think i learned in physiks the bigger the wire the less resistance. neways, can i have 4 guage to the battery and zero to the cap to the amp? would it be the same as running 0 guage straight through?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
i think i learned in physiks the bigger the wire the less resistance. neways, can i have 4 guage to the battery and zero to the cap to the amp? would it be the same as running 0 guage straight through?

why would you change the size. I got 0 gauge all through out. just picture it this way. blow air through a straw what happens you blow the air slow. now get a bigger straw what happens, air goes through faster.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:53 PM

I suppose you could depending on the amount of current draw vs the length of the wire. The longer the run of wire, the thicker the wire you'll want to run. Don't forget to upgrade your ground too. I generally run the same gauge wire from the body to the ground post the same size as I'm running on the positive side.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:55 PM

this is absolutely true when i had my subs in my blazer i had real nice speaker wire but when i got my maxima i didnt have long enough wire to reach from where i wanted my amp to the box so i used some thin stuff i had lying around the house

a couple months ago my one real tech friend saw it and told me to buy bigger stuff i did and it makes a difference much harder bass

spend the few extra dollars and you will be satisfied
Old 10-21-2004, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max

2 DA MAX i personatly think your set up is backwards. get 0 gauge from the batt to the cap.

***** cause what it looks like the cap wants more power through the 0g than the batt can supply with the 4g. understand.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:04 PM

alright cool, man this audio thing is addictive man, you just want more and more
Old 10-21-2004, 05:08 PM

2 da max .............. for the 4g to 0g you might turn the 4g black cause of the caps 0g too much power will turn the wire black like it gets too hot.

*****if anything use 0g and run 4g off that. 0g will supply enough to the 4g******

I got 0g to the caps and I run 8g off the caps to the amp. my amp isn't that big other wize I'll run 0g to the amp.......
Old 10-21-2004, 05:33 PM

For power wire just remember the longer the run the thicker the wire has to be. The common way to do it is to run 0 from the batt to the trunk and then split it at a terminal block into 4 gauge from there. Also remember to use the same gauge ground wire.

RCAs are more important and will make a bigger difference in sound than speaker wire. The better RCAs also won't fall apart on you and they have better connectors for a more solid contact.

Speaker wire, look for 100% oxygen free copper also know as OFC and as mentioned earlier, look for a high strand count. Lately I've been using knukonceptz stuff...high quality stuff that is significantly cheaper than Stinger.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
For power wire just remember the longer the run the thicker the wire has to be. The common way to do it is to run 0 from the batt to the trunk and then split it at a terminal block into 4 gauge from there. Also remember to use the same gauge ground wire.

RCAs are more important and will make a bigger difference in sound than speaker wire. The better RCAs also won't fall apart on you and they have better connectors for a more solid contact.

Speaker wire, look for 100% oxygen free copper also know as OFC and as mentioned earlier, look for a high strand count. Lately I've been using knukonceptz stuff...high quality stuff that is significantly cheaper than Stinger.
yeah their stuff isnt bad. i do like street wires best for power wire so far.