Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

5th Gen w/Bose...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:55 PM

5th Gen w/Bose...

A couple weeks ago, I replaced my Bose (Clarion) HU and added an aftermarket amp and sub. I used an aftermarket wiring harness to connect the new HU to the factory harness and the RCA pre-amp sub outputs to connect the amp. I'd like to replace the front and rear speakers, but don't want to run new wire to all the speakers, but while I was doing this, I started to wonder...

If I were to disconnect the Bose amp, ID the wires, replace the Bose amp with an aftermarket amp, and connect speaker wires (from the Bose harness) to the aftermarket amp. Has anyone done this? Have any knowledge? I worry that the Bose system may use a common ground for the speakers as opposed to a standard POS/NEG wiring config.

What do you think / know?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:31 PM

Your Bose amp on the rear deck will have 8 inputs and 8 outputs. It is not common ground. If I were you, I would mount a 4 channel amp on the back of the seat. Run power, ground, and remote normal. Connect speaker wire outputs from this amp to speaker wire outputs from the Bose amp, which then go to each speaker, so you wont have to run any new speaker wire at all. Replace the speakers in the doors first so you can write down the correct wiring, just to make sure, then wire up the amp.

Hope this helps
Kevin
Old 11-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I thought u couldn't use the factory speaker wire from the bose system. I've been reading forums and alot of people had to run new wire (I forgot why). I need clarity cause I'm about to add components and an amp to my 5th gen and I really dont feel like running new speaker wire.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the input Kevin.

phenix, you can definately use the factory wiring. It's the Blose amp that reduces the signal to 1 ohm and the speakers are designed to function on 1 ohm.

That's why I was thinking, if I can bypass the Blose amp (by identifying the FR+ / FR- / FL+ / FL- / RR+ / RR- / RL+ / RL- / and splicing them together or by fabricating some "jumpers" so I don't have to cut the harness off) then replace the speakers, I should be in good shape.

Then I could build from that concept to add another amp to drive the speakers. It sounds logical, but I'll have to do some experimenting when I have some time.

I'll let everyone know as soon as that time comes.