Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Would this work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 11:35 PM

Would this work?

So my Bose CD changer has started skipping - and after hearing about all of the problems, I was thinking about just changing it out entirely rather than replace it.

I was looking at this model.

Would that work on my 2002 Maxima? I don't plan on changing the speakers - but would it sound any better or worse? Also, would my steering wheel volume controls work? I heard there is something else I have to add to it to make it work. I was thinking about having Ultimate Electronics or something do the install for me if I buy the system (obviously I'm not paying $450 or whatever at Clarion's web site for it). Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 11-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

your going to need that thing that changes the signal to the speakers
Old 11-21-2004, 07:09 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

the controls: you would have to ground a wire from the back of the HU to get them to work again. I don't think the volume would work though I'm not sure.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:10 PM

I removed my HU and Bose's amps. The new HU and amp work fine with Bose's speakers. The quality is 200% better. As soon as I get money, I will replace the speakers to front components and rear coaxs, but even without this, the sound got much better. So, I say, go for it
Old 11-22-2004, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by krasavchic
I removed my HU and Bose's amps. The new HU and amp work fine with Bose's speakers. The quality is 200% better. As soon as I get money, I will replace the speakers to front components and rear coaxs, but even without this, the sound got much better. So, I say, go for it
So I can get better sound just by replacing the head unit and the amp? It won't blow the speakers or anything? Also, was this a complex operation to do? And do your Steering wheel controls still work fine?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just really nervous about this.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:01 AM
It's business time.

If you get the Clarion HU, don't get it from the site you linked.

Try this:

http://etronics.resultspage.com/disp...=11&image1.y=9
Old 11-22-2004, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by ABDomega

Try this:

OK, now I'm confused - that web site says that it's NOT compatible with my car. ???
Old 11-23-2004, 01:53 AM

Try this:

Anyone who wants to buy anything from etronics needs to find and read my review on those bastards on www.epinions.com . And they might as well read reviews from others too. Those guys are crooks. It is a sham.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wasim521
So I can get better sound just by replacing the head unit and the amp? It won't blow the speakers or anything? Also, was this a complex operation to do? And do your Steering wheel controls still work fine?

Wasim, yes you replace the HU, but you will need a modulating device in-between the HU and the speakers. Bose speakers use built-in amps and they will not accept a signal other anything other than a Bose. In other words, they are proprietary. You WILL hear the music, but it will be badly distorted. Besides, factory speakers are 2 ohm while your new HU will put out a 4 Ohm signal, so turning the volume up a little bit will cause a MASSIVE jump in the volume. If you are willing to wait a bit, I can sell you my modulator. I used it for a week in my '92 Max after upgrading to a Pioneer HU, but then decided to replace all 4 crappy Bose speakers with JBLs. Honestly, that would be my advice to you as well. Your HU can deliver all of its 22w x 4 RMS signal, but the Bose speakers can only handle 5-8w. You won't get the sound you are looking for.

As for the steering-wheel controls, uhhhh....how should I put it....NO WAY! They will NOT work with your Clarion. They, too, are propritary for Bose. Bose HUs have inputs for them, aftermarket HUs do not.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:51 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Anyone who wants to buy anything from etronics needs to find and read my review on those bastards on www.epinions.com . And they might as well read reviews from others too. Those guys are crooks. It is a sham.
Really, I had no idea. What happened in your case? Late shipping, or high S&H charges?
Old 11-23-2004, 06:45 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Wasim, yes you replace the HU, but you will need a modulating device in-between the HU and the speakers. Bose speakers use built-in amps and they will not accept a signal other anything other than a Bose.
Actually there are easier ways of doing this...Modulators are Not "needed"

As for the steering-wheel controls, uhhhh....how should I put it....NO WAY! They will NOT work with your Clarion. They, too, are propritary for Bose. Bose HUs have inputs for them, aftermarket HUs do not.
Also not true. The PAC SWI-X makes this possible.

--Don
Old 11-23-2004, 06:47 AM

Try this:

Etronics currently has lawsuits pending from manufacturers for online selling which is not allowed. One of the main ones would be ..DEI. When a multi Million dollar/Fortune 500 company goes after some little guys like this, who knows how much longer theyll be around?

--Don
Old 11-23-2004, 10:43 AM

Really, I had no idea. What happened in your case? Late shipping, or high S&H charges?
Nope. The item simply never showed. And they charged my card immediately after I ordered, even though they clearly state on the site that charges are made only upon shipment. Plus, the site showed item in stock when it actually wasn't. I called and yelled so loud at a cust service rep that my neighbors knocked on my door to complain (yeah...no joke there). My money was refunded promptly.

It was only after that, that I went to epinions.com to read reviews on etronics and found out that I was the lucky one. Many others have had such bad experiences with etronics that one person was suggesting a class action suit to send them into bankruptcy.

I bought my car audio stuff on www.hookedontronics.com . Excellent selection and prices. Ordered with "regular" shipping on a Friday, had the items at my doorstep on Monday.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:05 AM

I bought my car audio stuff on www.hookedontronics.com . Excellent selection and prices. Ordered with "regular" shipping on a Friday, had the items at my doorstep on Monday.
This of course is another company selling products 'illegally', but at least you had a better experience with them....

--Don
Old 11-23-2004, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wasim521

If this blows the speakers, you will have a very good reason to replace them to the good ones and gain more quality Also, someone was saying that there's "distortion"... Either I am deaf, or I just don't have it It's true about Bose's amps... well, I took them off as well The old Bose's amp has nothing to do with my system now. Wherenever I turn the volume one, it goes up slightly with no problems. But I wanna replace the speakers anyway, just for the sake of better sound in my car. About the steering wheel controls. I never had them on my 2000 SE, so I can't answer that. The whole thing took about 5-6 hours of work (maybe a bit more) for new HU, 2 amps, Kenwood's tuner for Sirius, Sirius antenna, subwoofer enclosure, and stuff like that...

Hope it was helpfull,
Ilya

P.S. I never heard of the case with Etronics, but I always had exceptional experience with them. The last purchase was Alpine Type-R subwoofer. Works great, received it next day after I placed the order with the standard ground shipping (I live in Brooklyn though)
Old 11-25-2004, 01:18 AM

I got so confused after reading all that, that I just went back to the dealer yesterday since I still have the basic warranty on the car. Since it is a very good dealer here (haven' t had a bad experience yet) they ordered me a replacement bose no questions asked, so I'm going to give it another shot and hope that this new HU doesn't have the same skipping problems that this one does.

I think I'm just audio dumb. Thanks for trying though.