Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need some help with install..

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 08:22 PM
LithiuMax

Need some help with install..

I have a Bose system in my car. I will be taking out the Bose headunit, and adding an aftermarket HU in its place.

For now, I am keeping the Bose speakers in. That means that I have to do the following:

Buy some RCA's. Cut one end off. Attach RCA's to headunit, and then attach other end to the harness adaptor that I also bought, which will connect to the factory harness.

My question is, to which wires on the harness do I connect (splice) the RCA's to? There are a multitude of colors in the harness adaptor that I bought, and I am unsure of where to attach the RCA's.

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:43 PM

The radio will have front and rear preouts. Plug these RCAs in, and cut the other end off. All aftermarket audio wiring is as follows.
Yellow Constant power
Red Switched power
Black Ground
Blue Power Antenna
Blue/White Remote turn on
Orange Illumination
White LF+
White/Black LF-
Gray RF+
Gray/Black RF-
Green LR+
Green/Black LR-
Purple RR+
Purple/Black RR-

The left RCA for either the front or rear will be the white or black one, and the right will be the red one. So cut the Left front RCA and there will be 2 wires in it, connect that to the white and white/black wires on your wiring harness. Left right RCA to gray and gray/black, Left rear RCA to green and green/black, and Right rear RCA to purple and purple/black.

Hope this helps
Kevin
Old 11-25-2004, 12:40 AM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by kpr10is
The radio will have front and rear preouts. Plug these RCAs in, and cut the other end off. All aftermarket audio wiring is as follows.
Yellow Constant power
Red Switched power
Black Ground
Blue Power Antenna
Blue/White Remote turn on
Orange Illumination
White LF+
White/Black LF-
Gray RF+
Gray/Black RF-
Green LR+
Green/Black LR-
Purple RR+
Purple/Black RR-

The left RCA for either the front or rear will be the white or black one, and the right will be the red one. So cut the Left front RCA and there will be 2 wires in it, connect that to the white and white/black wires on your wiring harness. Left right RCA to gray and gray/black, Left rear RCA to green and green/black, and Right rear RCA to purple and purple/black.

Hope this helps
Kevin
Thanks!

So the RCA's are only responsible for speakers and such? I have a sub and an amp - do they need to be rewired at all? The amp's turn on lead is activated when the stock Bose amp turns on.

One thing - you said that when I cut the RCA, there will be 2 wires? A left and a right? How can I connect just 2 wires to 4 other ones? It's a bit confusing with all the "right rear" and "left rear" and such.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:42 PM
LithiuMax

I am doing this tommorow morning, so if someone could please elaborate on this, I would really appreciate it.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:45 AM
Bandwagon Lover

I would suggest getting one of these instead of splicing:

http://www.pac-audio.com/oem1kits/ro...or+ROEM-1+kits