Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

7" focal Utopias

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 01:12 PM

I've noticed that people are getting these at a well discounted price. I'm thinking of getting em myself. Will the 7" woofer fit in my doors or rear deck without too much modifications? What are these speakers comparable too? And if I do get the 7" in the front, should I get seven inch inthe rear as well or just stick with 6 1/2?
Old 04-21-2001, 01:31 PM

i've seen most people make a ring for them or something like that> pretty simple ... comparable?? by specs to a few things but some people praise them as the WAYYYY above everything ... i'm probably going to pick a pair up for my rear deck..seeing as how i have nothing there but i will end up building an enclosure for them
Old 04-21-2001, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by loudmaxima
i've seen most people make a ring for them or something like that> pretty simple ... comparable?? by specs to a few things but some people praise them as the WAYYYY above everything ... i'm probably going to pick a pair up for my rear deck..seeing as how i have nothing there but i will end up building an enclosure for them
So your positive the 7 inch utopia's will fit in my front doors?
Old 04-21-2001, 03:24 PM
Disco Biscuit

I have 7" Dynaudio's in mine, and yes they dould fit no problem.
Old 04-21-2001, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes they will fit in the doors with minor modifications, but you won't be realizing the full potential of these great speakers. You need custom kick panels to get the best sound out of these.
Old 04-22-2001, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
Yes they will fit in the doors with minor modifications, but you won't be realizing the full potential of these great speakers. You need custom kick panels to get the best sound out of these.
Yeah but I have a 5-speed, will kick panels fit with the clutch righ there?
Old 04-23-2001, 06:17 AM
Disco Biscuit

Not really. I have looked at it many times to try and figure out a way to put some in my 5 speed, and it's almost impossible. It would have to be done by an installer that has done major and creative installs, like cutting the firewall and building in enclosure there and mountin g the speakers behind the pedals. Only way I could come up with......
Old 04-23-2001, 08:21 AM
jmax

It will fit, the key above is to be creative. The toughest thing will be preserving some kick panel internal volume. If you look at mine there are two DA 5 1/4 drivers in each kickpanel. I plan to modify these in a few months for better imaging and greater internal volume. The only cutting needed was the removal of the dead pedal - if you are driveing your foot should be awake - not dead.

Old 04-23-2001, 09:27 AM
Disco Biscuit

Any problems with kicking the speakers? That's my big fear, especially with the new Domes I'm getting. ( Yup , I'm getting them!!!!)
Old 04-23-2001, 09:23 PM
jmax

Not really a problem kicking the speakers. I've done it maybe two times - but only a minor contact. But I have small feet, size 9. I am sure this helps me out but don't think any reasonably coordinated person couldn't figure out a way to manage. A lot of space was wasted under and behind my kicks because all the factory carpet was left in. I plan to build a scale model of the MW180 soon to test fit it in the kick panel to see how much I will be able to angle it toward my face/ears. That combined with one or two MD140/2's . . . Of course I still have to finnish paying for my diamonds before I can replace them. I'm currently at 1.9% but just got an offer of 0% until next February! If I didn't get anything new I could have it paid off by then.

Old 04-23-2001, 09:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will attempt to build the kick panels for my utopias...I have the automagic so that gives me a reasonable amount of space to work with. Plus i'm already used to driving with the previous kick panels i used to have. Those, i just sold on ebay. I'm expecting killer midbass, imaging and up-front bass like a *****....

But first my sound deadening project has to come to a completion and that might take a while....