Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

more boom or should i stop??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 01:41 PM

alright i'm losing massive sleep over this.. this question has haunt me for the longest time.. should i get another 12" sub? i'm running one alchemy 12" dvc. i'm thinking of adding another one onto my system, but i don't plan on upgrading the amp just yet. (tight on funds) i'm affraid my subs wont be up to par with my speakers. (focal utopia 165w3 in the fronts and focal utopia 165w in the rears powered by ppi pc4800). the amp i currently have for the subs is the phoenix gold zx600ti. some people are telling me i should get another amp if i want another alumapro alchemy 12. but other say i can add two more to the system with the same amp.. i'm wiring the subs in parallel right now.. what to do what to do????
Old 08-18-2001, 06:06 PM

whitemax??¡@you around?????
Old 08-20-2001, 06:17 AM

let your ears be the judge. get those utopias tuned in and give the one sub a try. you can add a second later.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by amax935
let your ears be the judge. get those utopias tuned in and give the one sub a try. you can add a second later.
well the thing is, i'm going to be glassing everything well.. hrmm... i guess.
i'll just not build the amp rack, get all the speakers and my sub to work first then see. tahnx for the advice..

i'm firign the subs into the cabin. then i'm going to build a front facia that seals the face of teh box off from the trunk so no bass leaks into the trunk making it rattle, and i'll get better bass resonance. i like the sound of raw bass, i don't like the shound of a sub in a trunk.. and i'm going to build an amp rack.... this is something i definately wouldn't want to do again.. iv'e done an amprack for my car 5times already, and never saticefied..
Old 08-20-2001, 08:31 PM

definitley listen to it first, and see how it sounds

Then you'll be able to decide...I have never heard those subs and don't even know how many watts that amp is so I cna't help ya there. But if you're glassing everything in, I would like to tell you that bass is VERY addicting and you will get used to it quickly. If you are over satisfied with what you have now when you hear it...then get another before you go to a permanent setup, to save time and money. You can always not run your subs at full power if they're too loud for ya.

PJ
Old 08-21-2001, 08:55 AM

Re: definitley listen to it first, and see how it sounds

Originally posted by speednsound007
bass is VERY addicting and you will get used to it quickly. If you are over satisfied with what you have now when you hear it...then get another before you go to a permanent setup, to save time and money. You can always not run your subs at full power if they're too loud for ya.

PJ
yeah i hear you on that one. although i'm not all too addicted on deafening bass. i've had two jl12w6 before powered by the same amp. the amp is rated at 600watts rms. i just want to make sure my sub system can hang with the speakers. i also really miss the days of rattling the cars that are next to me. i'm taking competition into great consideration, whcih is mainly why i'mthinking of adding another sub to the system.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:08 AM

Re: Re: definitley listen to it first, and see how it sounds

Originally posted by mingo

yeah i hear you on that one. although i'm not all too addicted on deafening bass. i've had two jl12w6 before powered by the same amp. the amp is rated at 600watts rms. i just want to make sure my sub system can hang with the speakers. i also really miss the days of rattling the cars that are next to me. i'm taking competition into great consideration, whcih is mainly why i'mthinking of adding another sub to the system.
if you're gonna go into competition i would recommend you buying another sub w/ an additional amp and run each sub of one amp, because if you run 2 subs off 1 amp, you lose alot of power (i.e. (2) 500 watt amps (1channel) running single subs are better than (1) 1000 watt amp (2channel) running two subs)
Old 08-21-2001, 10:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: definitley listen to it first, and see how it sounds

Originally posted by Shugarhi

if you're gonna go into competition i would recommend you buying another sub w/ an additional amp and run each sub of one amp, because if you run 2 subs off 1 amp, you lose alot of power (i.e. (2) 500 watt amps (1channel) running single subs are better than (1) 1000 watt amp (2channel) running two subs)
no money??? well i do plan to get an additional amp later on but no money for now.. the sub is only going to cost me no more than 200 for abrand new one. i want to know how the amp can handle two subs, i forgot teh power rating for the subs.. i think iwas 300rms, and my amps crank out 300x2 so i'll run them stereo instead of mono. i know mono would be louder, but i'm more of an sq+ guy as opposed to spl
Old 08-21-2001, 10:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: definitley listen to it first, and see how it sounds

Originally posted by mingo
no money??? well i do plan to get an additional amp later on but no money for now.. the sub is only going to cost me no more than 200 for abrand new one. i want to know how the amp can handle two subs, i forgot teh power rating for the subs.. i think iwas 300rms, and my amps crank out 300x2 so i'll run them stereo instead of mono. i know mono would be louder, but i'm more of an sq+ guy as opposed to spl
i believe the dvc alchemy's are 300rms and 600peak.... but arent they 6ohms?!?! you said your amp is 300x2 (but that is prolly in a 2ohm load) so you must still account for the 6ohm deal
Old 08-21-2001, 04:25 PM
Disco Biscuit

Hey Mingo. Sorry it took me so long to post. IMO, stick with one. If you arent a basshead, then 1 is all you need, especially if you're searching for SQ, and not SPL. PLus if you plan of competing in SQ, then you have to take into consideration the fact that another amp for the second sub will drive you into a higher wattage category. I say, stick with one, and save some money. I have 1 10W6 running off 150 watts, and its plenty ( for the most part. She just needs a little more juice.) As long as that 1 sub is getting all the power it can take, I think you'll be happy. Add another one, and you'll start to down out those sweet Utopia's
Old 08-22-2001, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Whitemax
Hey Mingo. Sorry it took me so long to post. IMO, stick with one. If you arent a basshead, then 1 is all you need, especially if you're searching for SQ, and not SPL. PLus if you plan of competing in SQ, then you have to take into consideration the fact that another amp for the second sub will drive you into a higher wattage category. I say, stick with one, and save some money. I have 1 10W6 running off 150 watts, and its plenty ( for the most part. She just needs a little more juice.) As long as that 1 sub is getting all the power it can take, I think you'll be happy. Add another one, and you'll start to down out those sweet Utopia's
THAnx. muhahaha. you're always saving me money..

well i wired the sub in parallel which brings it down to around 2 ohm load, so the amp should be pushing out around 600watts, since it's also bridged. i've taken the 6ohm load on the subs that's why i got teh dvc, instead of the 4ohm alchemy single voice coil

thank you all for your help, but i think i'll stick with listening to them first..