Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

how much difference is there between these two subs?? dayton dvc or type R

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 06:49 PM

how much difference is there between these two subs?? dayton dvc or type R

i cant make up my mind on what to get.. i really like alpine but ppl say this is a good sub.

either the alpine type R 12

or

the Dayton DVc 12
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco...dayton_12_dvc/

i will soon be getting an alpine mono amp, and i already have alpine hu and comps.

i havent really heard the dvc and i dont know how good they are. does anybody know if it basses good? im sure it has good sq as well.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:50 PM

i will be runing the type R@ 2ohms for 320 rms.
and if i get the dayton i will run it at 4 0hm at 200rms
Old 01-02-2005, 11:16 PM

i can almost guarantee you nobody except perhaps robert j can answer this. also, get the type r so you can run more power to it.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:03 AM

I don't know squat about the Alpine sub. I've built a 1.2^3ft sealed sub using the Dayton 12". Powered it with a Parts Express 274w plate amp. It will shake the foundation of my friend's 2,000^2 ft. house. There are a couple of car examples in Dayton Sub Archive. Nothing but praise from some VERY critical home theater sub users.

-Robert
Old 01-03-2005, 12:36 PM

hmm decisions decisions.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:06 PM
sachmo12345

are dayton subs actually good??

Old 01-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Black Maxima

Craig has two Type R subs in his trunk. I think they sound gooooooood.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:19 PM

well they do have a 5year warranty. i dont know man im thinking about changing all my plans over.

i wanted to get a typer 12 run it down to 2ohms with 320rms with a mono class d alpine amp

or i could get this dayton sub wire it down to 4ohms and get this eclipse 2 channel amp, bridge it and run 400rms@ 4ohms.

i know for sure that the dayton will own the typeR according to Rich and Robert. They say the daytons are much like the shiva, and Rich's friend has 2 type R 12s that doesnt bump as hard as his 2 shivas both of them with the same amp and sealed box.[i think its sealed]. and Robert knows his shiet and has some exclusive subs. hhmm... i duno if i should get out of this mainstream b.s. to be different or not to be different... to enjoy my system.... or have it runing ok.....
what you guys think? what should i do?

this is the dayton
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco...dayton_12_dvc/

and you guys know typeRs there all over. the subs will run the same price..
Old 01-03-2005, 06:04 PM

Everyone and their Grandma is running Type Rs. I say go with the Daytons, they're very well made.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:07 PM

typeR=0

dayton=1

thanks dan
Old 01-03-2005, 06:21 PM
sunten1

2 da max how many you getting? i was looking at shivas for a bit until they moved, so now i am looking at these. they look very promising. my question is how big of an amp to get, whether its 1 or 2, i would prefer 2 becasue i really dont like 1 sub setups

Old 01-03-2005, 06:24 PM

i really dont like the fact of having two subs, takes up too much space which i need. and more power = more money. and i like the way the singe 12 hits.

i will probably get one dayton and use that. if i were you.. get an amp that can push from around 300 to 400 rms at 4ohms. you could push a little more if you want, but i will stay on the safer side because my system literally blows. lol
Old 01-03-2005, 08:01 PM

anyone else have opinions?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 PM

lol you like the way a single 12 hits. can y ou elaborate on that...sounds like you like way a distorted compvr sounds like. id ge t2 of those daytons, throw em in a cube each sealed off 300 watts a [piece and have fun.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by sachmo12345
are dayton subs actually good??
The Dayton DVC line of subs is built by Eminence (take the online factory tour). The Shiva and Tempest were built there also. Now Dan Wiggins (CEO of Adire) has started a build house in Chile where all/most Adire subs will be built. The Dayton Titanic line is built by NCA Labs which is another respected build house in the industry.

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
Robert knows his shiet
I know more about building subs for homes than I do for cars. I'm also still reading and learning from more experienced speaker builders.

and has some exclusive subs. ..
I got lucky on some of those buys. I missed out completely on this one though.

i will probably get one dayton and use that. if i were you.. get an amp that can push from around 300 to 400 rms at 4ohms. you could push a little more if you want, but i will stay on the safer side because my system literally blows. lol
In a one cubic foot box, the Dayton will take 300-400 watts unless you are playing test tones or rap with EXTREMELY low bass.

-Robert
Old 01-04-2005, 09:07 AM

thanks for the info Robert.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Robert_J
I got lucky on some of those buys. I missed out completely on this one though.
That's one mean looking sub!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:25 AM

man those people are diehard fans for subs... music is music...right?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:50 AM

man those people are diehard fans for subs... music is music...right?
Yes, but distortion free bass at extremely high volume takes the right equipment. I got the SPL bug out of my system in the early 90's when I had a pair of 15" Earthquake subs in a Honda CRX. My head was less than a foot from the sub box.

-Robert
Old 01-04-2005, 01:25 PM

that sub is designed by mr. laine himself.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:21 PM
sunten1

Originally Posted by Robert_J

In a one cubic foot box, the Dayton will take 300-400 watts unless you are playing test tones or rap with EXTREMELY low bass.

-Robert
what exactly do you mean by "playing test tones or rap with EXTREMELY low bass"?
sorry i am a sound noob
if your trying to say rap music well, are you saying that i shouldn't get thta sub, becuase i love rap music to death man

Old 01-04-2005, 03:13 PM

no. just be careful setting the gains and you'll be fine. what hes saying is that with that power in that specific box size over excursion can occur with some rap and low test tones. thus you can blow the sub mechanically. thermally im sure they can take the power all day long.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:14 PM

my friends are telling me rap music is made for ported boxes? and rock for sealed? neways im thinking on what to do.... right now im buy a stillen kit in the mean time
Old 01-04-2005, 07:09 PM

well, rap has a lot of deep and long bass lines compared to the relatively quick beats in rock. i'd say go ported, and tune it low for sq.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by sunten1
what exactly do you mean by "playing test tones or rap with EXTREMELY low bass"?
sorry i am a sound noob
if your trying to say rap music well, are you saying that i shouldn't get thta sub, becuase i love rap music to death man
Test tones, like sine waves that go from 100hz down to 10hz. 99% of rap will be fine with this sub also. It's those bass guys like DJ Magic Mike (I'm dating myself here) that put the extra low notes in their music. The DVC12 might be rated for 600 watts, but that's a thermal rating. It's excursion limited at about 300 watts at 20hz in a 1 cubic foot box. If you take your sub to this limit, we are talking about shaking mirrors and blurred vision volume. If you like to get to that point, just buy two 12's or go with the DVC 15".

Originally Posted by slickrick
no. just be careful setting the gains and you'll be fine. what hes saying is that with that power in that specific box size over excursion can occur with some rap and low test tones. thus you can blow the sub mechanically. thermally im sure they can take the power all day long.
What he said.

my friends are telling me rap music is made for ported boxes? and rock for sealed? neways im thinking on what to do.... right now im buy a stillen kit in the mean time
These are probably the same guys who will tell you a 10" sub is "faster" than a 15" sub. They are just misinformed. Each enclosure will have different characteristics. MDF is cheap, so build a few different test boxes. Model them in WinISD or Unibox and compare the frequency plot to what you actually hear. It will be a great learning experience.

-Robert
Old 01-05-2005, 06:31 AM

yes that is true, they told me that the 15 inch isnt fast enought to move air in a maxima trunk, thats why 3 10inches are better or 2 12s are better than one 15. They also told me that i will hear more low frequencies with a 15 and less beats. but then again they all have solo barricks. Around here ppl buy whats cheap and basses. about 50% of ppl i know who live around here have those dam bandpass boxes from bestbuy. my audio delaer never even heard of adire or re. so i have no idea how a non mainstream sub sounds, thats why i ask all these ques. about it, it makes me very reluctant on getting one.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:07 AM

yes that is true, they told me that the 15 inch isnt fast enought to move air in a maxima trunk, thats why 3 10inches are better or 2 12s are better than one 15. They also told me that i will hear more low frequencies with a 15 and less beats.
I may have posted this before - woofer speed. You can't argue with physics. On the other hand, some people still believe the world is flat.

about 50% of ppl i know who live around here have those dam bandpass boxes from bestbuy.
One note wonders.

my audio delaer never even heard of adire or re.
Adire and RE aren't spending the big bucks on advertising. Selling retail is not the core business for either of them. Dan Wiggins (CEO of Adire) has said that DIY audio makes up about 10% of sales for Adire. They make most of their money designing speakers and handling the build process for other companies. RE is just the retail side of Destijl Engineering. DE builds drivers for a lot of companies besides RE. You are also going to have this happen with other products as well.

so i have no idea how a non mainstream sub sounds, thats why i ask all these ques. about it, it makes me very reluctant on getting one.
I understand completely. At 17, I was a very un-informed audio buyer. Couple that with no internet and living in rural Arkansas, I had no idea what a good system sounded like. I wasted a ton of money on Pyramid crap because I didn't know any better. I wish I had some people giving me advice back then. I can also see it from your side. You don't know us. Why should you trust your hard earned money on our advice? Only you can decide. Until then, I'll keep post to threads where I have something positive to say.

-Robert
Old 01-05-2005, 10:02 AM

no im not saying i dont trust you, lol the org is my dam car manual!! everything i do i to my car i come for information and knowledge. i am really intrested in the dayton, and usually before i buy something i tend to ask a lot of ques. i mean im not going to ask ques. when i already have it. but I thank you guys, Robert, slickrick, nitrousoxide, 032se2hear, fosgate fan and others i forgot to mention for all the help you guys give me for knowledge on car audio. i mean for the price of the dayton i cant go wrong, and with a 5year warranty its a great deal. ill be different and have the dayton... i dont think too many ppl on the org have in in their car.. if not i guess ill be the first!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:01 PM

ugh I have 2 shivas= same thing.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Disco Biscuit

Dayton. I have the Titanic 10" in my car and home subs. They're actually one of the best bang for the buck subs I've ever listened to. Just becuase they arent as well known doesnt mean they arent good. They're basicly the same sub as the Shiva and Brama subs, made by the same company. GO WITH THE DAYTONS. Trust me, you won't find a better sub for the money. I've looked..........

Oh, and get them from www.partsexpress.com . It's their brand. They have a ton of Dayton speakers made for them, and you can get the 15" for $127.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Disco Biscuit

Oh, you might want to look at the Titanic 10" MKII It's on sale for $99.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:59 PM
sunten1

ok now if i get 2 dayton 12s dvc i thnk, how many watt should i feed this sucker and what should i look for in an amp ohm wise, along with how should they be wired
i very noob still learning tho

Old 01-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Disco Biscuit

Two of them can easily handle 1k watts. You really dont need more than that. Of course the thicker the wiring the better. both power wire to the amp, and speaker wire to the subs. At least 4 ga. to the amp, and 10 ga. to the subs.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
That's one mean looking sub!

That is a BIG sub.

Robert,

I finally bought the sub I wanted from Soundsplinter. It was the RL-i10 dvc, better known as the TC2+10 . It is a hefty little guy, can't wait to install it in my car. Thanks for directing me to their website. I will probably buy one more for my wife's car.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Whitemax
They're basicly the same sub as the Shiva and Brama subs, made by the same company.
It's been posted at the PE Tech Talk board before that the Titanic series is built by NCA Labs. Just a different build house built to a different price point. The Shiva and Tempest are built by Eminence. The Brahma series is built by Destijl Engineering. I'm pretty sure the Koda series is as well since Destijl is a XBL^2 licensee.

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
I finally bought the sub I wanted from Soundsplinter. It was the RL-i10 dvc, better known as the TC2+10 . It is a hefty little guy, can't wait to install it in my car. Thanks for directing me to their website. I will probably buy one more for my wife's car.
As an owner of six subs built by TC Sounds, I think they are one of the best build houses around. Mike at Soundsplinter has hinted about a line of super subs like the one I linked to. The only thing that might slow Mike down is that one of TC's best engineers, Stephen Ponte, has left the company.

-Robert
Old 01-06-2005, 09:13 AM

^^^ yeah apparently he was their best guy. i was going to get the Sound splinter 15" driver he sells but he was out of stock.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by slickrick
^^^ yeah apparently he was their best guy.(
I have heard rumors that he went to SV Subwoofers. Which I find strange in that SVS uses TC Sounds as the build house for all but one driver that they currently use. That would make for some hard feelings between the two companies. It would be great if he went out on his own and did something like Nick at Lambda Acoustics or John at Stryke/AE.

-Robert