Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Is the eclipse avn software outdated?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 12:06 PM

Is the eclipse avn software outdated?

Now that my maxima is wrecked, I am forced to drive other peoples cars on a regular basis. So the other day im cruising in my fiancees brand new Toyota Solara and I realize i got lost. I look at her nagivation system and realize its pretty much the same as my Eclipse AVN2454 that i have in my maxima. I start playing with it and all the options, menus and most of the interface looks like my AVN. However, as i continued driving, i noticed her nav gives you the street name you are on in a caption on the bottom. It also shows a little box in the top right corner when a turn is approaching and how far away it is. The colors of the map are a bit different as well. She also has RDS, or whatever its called, the thing that displays station name, band, and song when listening to the radio. I started noticing all these differences and pulled out her disc, it says version 3.2 meanwhile my avn disc is version 1.0 I later found out that eclipse has had an agreement with toyota, therefore it is an eclipse system. All that have an Eclipse AVN2454, please post if you have all those features i listed above and what version disc you are using. Im trying to get to the bottom of this....

Thank you
Old 01-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Suspension Yoda

my disc also says 1.0.
-but i get all those captions and future turns and everything on my actual avn.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:55 PM

Hey,

I still owe you a big thanks for those speaker adapters, although my cousin whos house you dropped them off at decided to keep them and install them in his car before i got to get a hold of them. PM me your #, when im in the area, ill call you and maybe we can meet up so you can show me how your AVN2454 works. Thanks
Old 01-15-2005, 08:33 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I havent installed one yet with the problems your describing. I would definately have it sent in and looked at....

--Don
Old 01-15-2005, 09:46 PM

don, I didnt connect the speed sensor wire, could that be the fault of everything im describing?

The guide also doesnt talk, the only thing it say is "please follow the highlighted route and the guidence will start" then it doesnt talk again until it says "you have arrived at your destination" It doesnt say anything in between about where i should turn or anything. I cant even get the screen to divide like on the eclipse website so that half of it is the map and the other half is turn-by-turn list. I can get the turn by turn list but its on the whole screen and i can split the screen but only to make it 2 maps. Also, if i miss the turn or go the wrong way, it doesnt realize that, it just ignores the fact that im going in the wrong direction, i put "auto reroute" in the "on" mode and it doesnt make a difference. Everything is hooked up except the safety (parking and foot brake) wires and i also didnt hook up the speed sensor wire.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:48 PM

Oh and i lost the 2 of the 3 manuals it came with. I only have the audio/video one, is there a place i could buy them for a decent amount so i can learn to use all the features the system has to offer.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:42 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by Certified Beast
don, I didnt connect the speed sensor wire, could that be the fault of everything im describing?

The guide also doesnt talk, the only thing it say is "please follow the highlighted route and the guidence will start" then it doesnt talk again until it says "you have arrived at your destination" It doesnt say anything in between about where i should turn or anything. I cant even get the screen to divide like on the eclipse website so that half of it is the map and the other half is turn-by-turn list. I can get the turn by turn list but its on the whole screen and i can split the screen but only to make it 2 maps. Also, if i miss the turn or go the wrong way, it doesnt realize that, it just ignores the fact that im going in the wrong direction, i put "auto reroute" in the "on" mode and it doesnt make a difference. Everything is hooked up except the safety (parking and foot brake) wires and i also didnt hook up the speed sensor wire.
Although it shouldnt give you all those problems, the speed sense wire MUST be connected. I dont see it being the culprit of ALL the above listed problems, but could be. In either event, yes it Must be connected.

--Don
Old 01-16-2005, 12:56 PM

Well when i connect it in the new car i get ill make sure to connect the speed sensor. In my her solara though, if you go over 5mph, half the menu fades and you cant use it until you stop. I dont like that and that why i didnt connect the speed sensor but i guess theres more pros than cons so ill connect it next time. How do i get the RDS (the thing that names radio stations, songs and artists) to work like she has?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Suspension Yoda

(also curious about RDS)

and..is there an updated map dvd?