Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

New head unit won't turn on anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New head unit won't turn on anymore

I installed a new Clarion head unit in my '97 GLE with the Bose system. I used the PAC adaptor to integrate it with the factory amps and speakers. The installation went fine except for a horrible installation kit that left a gap between the dash pocket and the HU. I decided I could live with it for now.

The HU powered up just fine and sounded great.

Today, I got a new Scosche kit to use. I pulled the HU out, switched the kits, and put the Clarion back in. Now the HU won't power on at all. I pulled it back out and checked all the connections. All of the connections were fine. I checked the inline fuses in the power wires coming from the HU. Thery were good. I was baffled.

I tried putting the old factory HU back in just to try and isolate the problem. It wouldn't turn on either. So I know the problem isn't with my new Clarion. I checked every fuse in the box under the steering wheel and the fuse marked "Audio" in the box next to the battery under the hood. All of them were still fine.

I'm completely clueless. Anybody have any idea where the problem may lie?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Forgot to mention a couple of things.

The old factory HU always worked fine before I took it out the other day to put in the new one. That's how I know that it is some sort of electrical problem. Only reason I replaced it is because I got sick of the "CD ERR" messages.

And when I say that neither of my head units will turn on, I mean that pushing the power button or any other button does absolutely nothing. I can't play the radio or CDs. I can't even insert a CD.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:50 PM

If all the fuses are still good then recheck all the wire connections. Did you use the proper connecters or just black electrical tape to do instal.... you could have pull the power wires apart seeing that you must have been realy angery when doing the job relax go back and retrace all the stereo wires again.. it happend to me once g-luck
Old 01-21-2005, 08:29 PM

Did you check the fuse at the very top of the fusebox inside the car? It sits alone.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took my time and used some plastic connectors when I spliced the wires. I crimped them on and they are quite secure.

The 7.5A fuse at the top of the box is still good.

Another thing I noticed since making this thread is that the lights on the climate control buttons do not light up any more when I turn the headlights on. The display still works fine. Also, the lights for the hazard light button and the rear defrost button do not work. The buttons themselves still work just fine. They just don't light up. I'm sure it is related to the head unit problem.

I bought a multimeter from Radio Shack and I'm going to start testing more thoroughly.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:12 PM

Hey bud how's that wiring going. It sounds like that you might have fried some wires behind the stereo area or else where but one question to you is what is Scosche kit and why did you decided to change things from before
Old 01-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Figured out the problem. Now I'm kicking myself for not finding it sooner. Turns out there was a problem with the wiring harness where it plugs into the back of the head unit. The pin for switched power was bent so it wasn't making a connection to the harness. Regardless, I'm just thrilled that I finally figured it out. Commuting to work in complete silence gets old after a few days.

To ashmrx:
I originally had the Bose head unit, which is double DIN sized. The new aftermarket Clarion is only half as big as the Bose was. That means that I needed to buy a kit that included a pocket to go under the CD player so there was no gap there. The first kit I got (I think from American International) was awful. It didn't fit correctly. I bought a Scosche brand kit and it fit much better (although still not perfect).