Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

the basslink is dead. it's time for a system!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:01 AM
lcf

***help!!*** the basslink is dead. it's time for a system!!!!!!!

the title pretty much says it all. the basslink is dead and im in a financial place where i can spend a good chunk of change on a nice system for the max. i'd like your guys' help with this... im truly a car audio newbie.

firstly, i still have the stock bose hu and components in the car. alls i have is the addition of the basslink. i havent decided if i want to upgrade the hu or not because i really love the clean look of the stock bose. it's 5 years later and i still prefer my dash to even the new 2005 styling. but yeah, i understand that the stock hu doesnt put out a lot of power... but we can get power from an amp right? and also i think ive read that a better hu would deliver superior sq as well? this is something i do want... and im curious if you guys know of any type of decoder or adapter (has none been invented yet?) that could somehow improve the sq of the stock hu? ive also thought of custom installing a better hu and have the ability to use them both via a switch or something like that. who knows... maybe someone will bust out with a cassette tape on me someday.

i would like to upgrade the tweeters and all component speakers as well. i have great respect for the .org and for a lot of you longtime members. you know, i chose a maxima because i firmly believe its a damn fine automobile and to see what you all have done with your cars has astonished me again and again over the years ive been here. slowly but surely im getting there though. heh i would really appreciate your recommendations.

i think if you could share your dream soundsystem... we can all enter into discussion over choice of different speakers and configurations, etc.

Old 04-13-2005, 12:05 AM

lol give us a budget before people get crazy with dream systems. ok also without argument, you are going to be happy when i say you will remove ALL stock audio components with this next system. this is essential to have a top notch system. also give us the goals you want and what type of music you listen to.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:14 AM
lcf

what's up, man!

well im not rich. i couldnt afford to spend 10k or anything like that. i was thinking somewhere around the range of 2k-4k? at the max 5k and that thing better be able to blow the clothes off women as i drive by! haha.

i listen to all different types of music... from hiphop to classical to christian praise songs. haha. but my passion is for electronica. known to the avg joe as "techno." (techno is actually a subgenre of electronica in case you didnt know.) i collect vinyl and i suppose some would call me a closet dj. so yes, the music i listen to at times has very funky basslines and i would like for it to hit quick and hard. at other times my music will have deep low tones and i would like the subs to be handle that as well. i think most of electronica really has a lot of mids so i dont want to cut any corners inside the max.

here is an example: http://exclubber.com/audio/global_un...owells_cd1.mp3

Originally Posted by slickrick
lol give us a budget before people get crazy with dream systems. ok also without argument, you are going to be happy when i say you will remove ALL stock audio components with this next system. this is essential to have a top notch system. also give us the goals you want and what type of music you listen to.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:19 AM

yes. ok so im liking the idea of 2 very nice 12's sealed to keep it punchy yet be able to be loud and low due to good cone area ( 2 12" speakers). also id like to run at least 1k watts of power total to the subs to get the desired spl. also 2 overlooked things: sound deadening and electrical upgrades for all the juice the amps will draw. have you considered either? also are you going to install everything yourself? pearl96max "don" is the man id speak to about getting some nice high end stuff for the max. he will tell you which components are the best for your tastes and budget.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:24 AM
lcf

right on. yeah im open to upgrading my battery and all wires, everything. no worries. i want to sound deaden as well... and ive read how costly it can be but i would like to do it. i just hope it eliminates a lot of the external rattling. i cant help but feel its ghetto to be next to a car at a red light and his car is rattling like its going to fall into pieces... *shrug*

yeah i hope don chimes in. if i lived closer i'd have him do all the install work. ive read only good things.

yes. ok so im liking the idea of 2 very nice 12's sealed to keep it punchy yet be able to be loud and low due to good cone area ( 2 12" speakers). also id like to run at least 1k watts of power total to the subs to get the desired spl. also 2 overlooked things: sound deadening and electrical upgrades for all the juice the amps will draw. have you considered either? also are you going to install everything yourself? pearl96max "don" is the man id speak to about getting some nice high end stuff for the max. he will tell you which components are the best for your tastes and budget.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:27 AM

well the org is here to help with DIY stuff... i learned the hard way but the org audio room is very helpful these days so you are good to go. i feel like 2 12" arc flatlines would be very nice if they would ever get in stock. you will need alot of deadening to prevent rattling in a 5th gen max. i have 2 layers of liquid deadening on my trunk lid and it still is pathetic how bad it rattles. are you interested in a tv setup or just a radio for the dash?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:33 AM
lcf

dood. i think im somewhat mechanically inclined but last time i modded the max i was installing hyperwhites in the dome light and door step lights and i blew my secu!!!!!! that was probably about a year and a half ago. since that time i have been without power locks, rear defrost, and i no longer have the 30 second time to put windows up, etc after removal of key from ignition. it sucked but i ordered a new secu from jerry rome a few days ago and im going to get all this stuff squared away real fast. frankly, i dont have the time and certainly not the experience to do it professionally and thats the way i want it took look and sound.

i post this thread because i respect the .org's voice... certainly over some guy at an audio shop all hungry bc he's about to make some money off me.

tv is a possibility but i was thinking in the front visors. again, i would like to keep the dash stock looking if thats possible. if that's not possible, i think i'll be forced to copy something an old .org member did (max'n'out or something to that effect was his username). he somehow hacked the faceplate off the stock bose hu and used it as a cover to essentially hide the expensive stuff. it looked cleannnnnnn!

p.s. i would also like have the capability of linking my laptop up to the screens in the visors. this is possible right?

well the org is here to help with DIY stuff... i learned the hard way but the org audio room is very helpful these days so you are good to go. i feel like 2 12" arc flatlines would be very nice if they would ever get in stock. you will need alot of deadening to prevent rattling in a 5th gen max. i have 2 layers of liquid deadening on my trunk lid and it still is pathetic how bad it rattles. are you interested in a tv setup or just a radio for the dash?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:37 AM

alright thats cool...trust me car audio and DIY can be more than just a headache if you are new to it. the problem is finding a good place to get it installed. maybe see if any local orgers are good with audio? also if you do need to find a shop the problem is they will make a big deal about installing stuff not purchased from them because they make alot of $ off selling the products to you. however, they might just overcharge you for the install to make up part of the losses. its really hit or miss with local dealers.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:51 AM

My recomendation for precise, clean bass, Infiniti Reference or Kappa subs driven by MTX MXA-series amp. As far as the other speakers go, well there are a lot of good options, MB Quart are pretty good, Alpine Type R's are nice if you can shell out the money. I personally like JBL's, always have. If you want amazing sound and money is no object, but you'd like a subdued, OEM appearance, check out Becker for head units.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:09 AM

I'll do my usual promotion here... Memphis. THe M-Class 12" and a M-Class 500 D is all you'll need. The M-Class 12" also works well in sealed boxes.

You know guys, I'm donating sooner, that way I can have "Resident Memphis Nut" put under my name. Unless a mod is willing to help out
Old 04-13-2005, 07:16 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by kcidmil
I'll do my usual promotion here... Memphis. THe M-Class 12" and a M-Class 500 D is all you'll need. The M-Class 12" also works well in sealed boxes.

You know guys, I'm donating sooner, that way I can have "Resident Memphis Nut" put under my name. Unless a mod is willing to help out
PM Uncle Sprinty with your request
Old 04-13-2005, 07:33 AM

You're a genius... I would have never thought of that. Guess it's the lack of sleep. I wonder if putting it on the feedback/suggestions would help any... especially if I could get a few people to for me.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:30 AM
lcf

bump. any more suggestions? i appreciate the feedback thats been given!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:33 AM

If you can find them, pioneer W255-c 10's play obscenly low for 10s..their bottom end response is 18 hz, however they seem to resonate 20-30 hz best. I've been beating mine to death for over 2 years, and they should last atleast another 2 years. They were $37 each on sale from i forget what website..kappa perfect 10s and 12s look like they'd be performers, JL's are nice..

an amp for your subs CAN be cheaped on for SQ if you use separate amps for your front speakers and subs, but its hard to find a durable cheap amp..I'd look for a mono amp and bridge whatever 2 subs you get down to 2 ohm. Kicker makes nice mono amps.

As for your speakers..MB Quart Premium series in the front..they'll run about $400-450 from an authorized dealer. In the rear, you can go with some cheap coaxials just for a tiny bit of rear fill..fade them to taste.

An amp for your speakers..don't be afraid of wattage..I prefer profile california series amps for their SQ and price, but they tend to overstate their power output. If you get a profile 4 ch amp, look for somthing with an RMS (continuous) power rating about 50% above what your FRONT speakers have for an RMS rating.

I get a lot of my stuff from Crutchfield. It's a bit higher priced, but they've got better service than any online dealer I've worked with yet.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:33 PM
lcf

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
If you can find them, pioneer W255-c 10's play obscenly low for 10s..their bottom end response is 18 hz, however they seem to resonate 20-30 hz best. I've been beating mine to death for over 2 years, and they should last atleast another 2 years. They were $37 each on sale from i forget what website..kappa perfect 10s and 12s look like they'd be performers, JL's are nice..

an amp for your subs CAN be cheaped on for SQ if you use separate amps for your front speakers and subs, but its hard to find a durable cheap amp..I'd look for a mono amp and bridge whatever 2 subs you get down to 2 ohm. Kicker makes nice mono amps.

As for your speakers..MB Quart Premium series in the front..they'll run about $400-450 from an authorized dealer. In the rear, you can go with some cheap coaxials just for a tiny bit of rear fill..fade them to taste.

An amp for your speakers..don't be afraid of wattage..I prefer profile california series amps for their SQ and price, but they tend to overstate their power output. If you get a profile 4 ch amp, look for somthing with an RMS (continuous) power rating about 50% above what your FRONT speakers have for an RMS rating.

I get a lot of my stuff from Crutchfield. It's a bit higher priced, but they've got better service than any online dealer I've worked with yet.
thanks for the input i really really appreciate it. too bad i dont know what any of that stuff means!

youre the second person to name mb quartz... so i'll probably go with them. as for the subwoofers... is it better to go with 3 10" or 2 12" if i want to have fast quick bass and deep tones? or is 2 12"'s sufficient?
Old 04-17-2005, 03:46 PM

2 12 is fine but like i stated the box has SO MUCH control over the sound you have no idea. i can easily make 2 10's sound sloppy when compared to an 18 if i want just based on changing box sizes. but 3 10's are cool to have and will be really punchy if put in the right box and get loud while doing it.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:44 PM
lcf

2 12 is fine but like i stated the box has SO MUCH control over the sound you have no idea. i can easily make 2 10's sound sloppy when compared to an 18 if i want just based on changing box sizes. but 3 10's are cool to have and will be really punchy if put in the right box and get loud while doing it.
i would be interested in taking out the spare and putting the woofers in the floor of the drunk. is this considered to be better? (of course depending on box type size etc)

oops. freudian slip. last night was crazy.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:51 PM
lcf

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...767984346&rd=1

will this fit into my 2000 maxima?
Old 04-17-2005, 07:14 PM

they fit but a bit pricey for no warranty.