Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

SAT radio question HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check out this website for the OEM XM & Sirius units, much cheaper than dealerships

http://nissan.autowebaccessories.com...455ee90c63f53f

They had the Sirius OEM units here a month ago, now they must be backordered. They still have the XM listed

As for OEM installation, its very simple if your car was prewired (they can tell you by your VIN). Really all you have to do is
1. remove the trunk lining below the rear shelf,
2. unwrap the wire harness that plugs into the sat tuner unit,
3. attach the tuner unit to the bottom of the rear shelf on the drivers side via two screws (drill bit required),
4. connect the wire harness, connect the anntenna, run antenna wire through rear seat pass through and
5. place antenna beside rear high mount brake light (a little velcro helps hold in place).
6. Reassemble the trunk liner and your done.

Also, when first turning on the car and hitting the "SAT" button on the radio controls, be patient, it takes about 20 minutes for the unit to "update" (you must be outside in clear view of the sky .... not in your garage!!!).... don't call to activate until you hear the preview channel. Then your in business.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:45 PM
SuPeRmOd

^^^^^^
guess u didn't read post 14???? grubbs is still way cheaper (post 2) and have the full install instruction on their site.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I could be wrong, but the only thing not included with XM is the Playboy channel. Humm... now you can say "I don't care about the pictures, I just listen to the words" .
Old 05-04-2005, 06:42 AM

i love sat radio

sirius is the best way to go with the maxima
Old 05-04-2005, 10:48 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by luvmyride
sirius is the best way to go with the maxima

Why? I have had XM-radio since it came on the air and have not had any problems with it. Now I have MLB. Later Warren
Old 05-04-2005, 12:29 PM

Check for pre-wiring by opening the trunk and removing the velcro secured insulation from the topdeck. There will be a cable and plug there if you are pre-wired. check the audio group in this forum for pictures. Then you also need to buy a factory antenna. I have mine mounted on the trunk lid and get very good reception.
If you are pre-wired I would buy the factory unti from a dealer and have it installed at a local Best Buy. They did a great job for me for $50. The factory Sirius unti works great and you don't have to worry about mounting.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:05 PM
SuPeRmOd

um, 1 lining is not velcroed. 2 you can check on the driver's door if you are prewired. 3 you do not need a factory antenna. 4 not all best buys will do it and it's too easy anyway. Now if you want them to mount the antenna by hiding the wires better, that makes sense.

the only thing not included with XM is the Playboy channel
what about NFL, NHL, NBA, entire NCAA tourney, AFL, Wimbelton, horse racing, and world soccer?

XM has MLB and both offer NASCAR
Old 05-04-2005, 01:10 PM

Humm... I'll look into that. When I signed-up the only option given was playboy. To be honest, I'd rather watch the playboy channel than listen to it anyway
Old 05-04-2005, 01:12 PM

is this the stuff: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/n...sp?hood=sports ?

I misunderstood the question it seems, I thought you were saying those sports cost extra on XM... (you are correct, they don't offer those you listed) I never even looked at the sports when I signed up actually.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:18 PM
SuPeRmOd

well yeah i'd rather see PB too. I'd say both are good choices. I prefer Sirius and see more benefits. XM is making changes so they should be more evenly matched. but it seems Sirius is still receiving a few more exclusive rights in sports and car manufacturers.

there was talk about SAT TV reaching cars, but i won't be interested.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:23 PM

Ya know... if I hadn't worked the install & receiver into the deal (I had to make them conceed something before I signed it ) when I bought the car, I probably wouldn't have either service, we just aren't in the car long enough to justify the $400+ otherwise. And I'm surely not in it much... But I figured might as well get it. I'm trying XM for 3 months, we'll see how much use we get out of it.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Okiewan
Ya know... if I hadn't worked the install & receiver into the deal (I had to make them conceed something before I signed it ) when I bought the car, I probably wouldn't have either service, we just aren't in the car long enough to justify the $400+ otherwise. And I'm surely not in it much... But I figured might as well get it. I'm trying XM for 3 months, we'll see how much use we get out of it.
XM or Sirius....regardless of either, both about the same, you will find it will be addictive. I never in my life thought I would pay for radio......now, will be hard to go with out my XM. Also, getting the stock receiver or aftermarket portable, again, depends on what you want to do. From a guy who was against Sat radio when it first came out, all it took was just one hour listening to my buddies XM boom box in his office and being in an area where normal FM radio sucks....I was sold.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:15 AM

Ok the consensus here is that Sirius is the way to go. I have had Sirius for 10 days now and I have to ask do the Police and the Cars have stock in Sirius. I can guarantee that I will hear them everytime I listen. Good bands but try someone else. Also what's up with playing the same song. It happened twice this weekend. Both Classic Vinyl and The Vault played Hotel California by the Eagles at the same time and they did it again with Fleetwood Mac (don't remember the song). 80's and 1st wave payed the Same Police song as well. Oh and I have heard Skynard That Smell 5 times already. Holy lack of variety Batman. I mean I can get the same song over and over again on FM. I also get drops all the time even with a clear view of the sky. And what was with the sound qualify this morning very hollow sounding. AM 1010 was better.

I am very MAD about the $$$ that have been spent on this useless repetative service. I am not sure if I am going to keep this even if Nissan fixes the drop problem. But that means that I spent the bucks for the reciver and antenna so they can come along for the ride.

Very disappointed in Sirius.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:15 AM
SuPeRmOd

Is the antenna mounted on the roof? also, of course different stations will play the same songs ocassionally. They can't listen to every other station, and if someone calls for a request, they will play it unknowing that the next one just did. Only so much new music is out at once. I hear a lot of songs I would never hear on am/fm. I know it's not perfect, but I love the value of organized genres and the same stations when traveling.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:30 AM

The antenna is not on the roof. Its made to go on the front glass.

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/foru...pic.php?t=14422

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Me...ode=MaximaAudio

It is currently only avail from Nissan.

I do have to agree that it is nice to have organized genres. The comedy channels are great when you are stuck in traffic.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 95Max
The antenna is not on the roof. Its made to go on the front glass.

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/foru...pic.php?t=14422

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Me...ode=MaximaAudio

It is currently only avail from Nissan.

I do have to agree that it is nice to have organized genres. The comedy channels are great when you are stuck in traffic.

none of your links work chief.

and if anyone is interested in a Sirius unit, I will be selling mine when I get my M45 in the next few weeks. I am definately going to miss my Sirius unit, however the quality of their online streaming service sucks.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:39 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by MaxMus

and if anyone is interested in a Sirius unit, I will be selling mine when I get my M45 in the next few weeks. I am definately going to miss my Sirius unit, however the quality of their online streaming service sucks.
I have XM and never have had any problems. I checked out a M45 today. Its a nice looking car. Are you trading in your Max? Later Warren
Old 05-16-2005, 07:02 PM
SuPeRmOd

I am definately going to miss my Sirius unit, however the quality of their online streaming service sucks.
why do you say that? It sounds perfect to me. More than music would be nice of course, but then they wouldn't make money off home receivers. Very seldom the buffer will run short, but since Comcast redid my wiring, I get a lot less interruptions. I think anything less than broadband will not cut it of streaming.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 PM

ramberg, I didn't experience any problems with Sirius, I just don't want to wait 3-4 months to order an M45 with Sirius installed. I am planning on trading the Max for the M45 (and I'm gonna take a huge hit on the trade), but I think it is really worth it. The Navi is unreal, and the 5.1 sound is on the money. Can't figure out why Nissan opted not to put an MP3 in the Maxima?

Nismo, Sirius online's streaming quality is terrible IMHO. The sound is tiny, thin, and you can hear lots of compression artifacts. When I tried the XM trial, the sound was significantly fuller, and less compressed than the Sirius product. Sirius, however, plays most of the music I love to listen to.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:58 AM
GrandPa

I have XM on line and it is clear and you should find your type of music on XM. I wish you the best with your new ride. Later Warren

Old 05-17-2005, 05:38 AM

Here they are again.

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...ic.php?t=14422

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...de=MaximaAudio

If you still have issues go to www.siriusbackstage.com and look under "News Exchange" and www.grubbsperformance.com and drill down under Maxima Audio

I take it that the M45 doesn't use the same Sirius receiver that the rest of the cars use.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:45 AM

Ok I don't get Sirius reception. There is a tree covered and I mean tree covered (can just see the sky) road that I have to take to get to the office and I only had a momentary loss of signal. On Interstate 287 open sky I got "acquiring". Can anyone explain this? The car goes back to Nissan on Thursday.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:04 PM

Hmm... is the XM online programming included with subscription charges, or is it an extra charge per month?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:26 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Hmm... is the XM online programming included with subscription charges, or is it an extra charge per month?

Thanks!

Its included at no extra charge.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:50 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by ramberg
Its included at no extra charge.
well, since they upped the fees to equal sirius. Now they are more evenly matched. before online for XM was Xtra Mula.

for the reception loss, either your antenna wire is pinched somewhere (dobtful) or the antenna is weak. Try the mini-Terk. I have it inside and only lost a brief signal in the open on a rainy/cloudy day. It hasn't bothered me enough to feed it onto the roof yet.

But somehow in parking garage , antenna only see roofing, (sides open) I keep a strong signal.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:27 PM

I agree to stick with the stock on the satrad. Also, Sirius is way better content-wise than XM, IMHO.

Jane
Old 09-13-2005, 06:59 AM

Anyone had the XM module installed after purchase?

I am looking to get the XM module installed in my car- its prewired for satellite and since I have had XM since it started I need it in there. How much does the stealership tend to charge for this?
thanks!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

F5, I purchased the XM module (module & antenna) from the dealers parts department for $329.00. It was a very easy install as the car has the wiring harness under the rear deck (in the trunk). I did not install the antenna on the roof, but installed it on the read deck and it seems to work fine.

The XM module is made by Audiovox and it is a direct plug & play device. The install shouldn't take you more than 60 to 90 minutes if you don't install the antenna on the roof. The dealership wanted $400 to install the module and that seemed like highway robbery, so I took a chance and installed it myself. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:19 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

500 bucks full install here....
Old 09-13-2005, 09:49 AM

Not hating on the XM radio owners,but dang $500 and then subscription fees.The dealer offered it to me for $325.00 as an option at purchase time,but I chose not to get it.I didn't want the subscription fee catch.But hey it is clearer and no commercials.you get what you pay for I guess.Yo Tek-it seems yous gots almost everythang-Big Ups-Bro,stay cooling with the dubs plus 2 -Max2n cuz I 2n my Max
Old 09-13-2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Max2n
Not hating on the XM radio owners,but dang $500 and then subscription fees.The dealer offered it to me for $325.00 as an option at purchase time,but I chose not to get it.I didn't want the subscription fee catch.But hey it is clearer and no commercials.you get what you pay for I guess.Yo Tek-it seems yous gots almost everythang-Big Ups-Bro,stay cooling with the dubs plus 2 -Max2n cuz I 2n my Max
nah man, i didn't get that either.. i got asked also, i know the installation price went up on it, prob since you got asked... it went from about your quote to 500 or so, I think I've seen about 30 bucks more than that..

it is clear though and no commercials, it also plays songs from beginning to end with swears and all...lol

I thought my car payment, nevermind 10 bucks more for music.....
Old 09-13-2005, 11:11 AM

get it online and do it yourself. There are some threads about it here on the .org and I think there is a thread at www.siriusinsider.com with very detailed instructions as this install is not XM specific. I think the tuner is under $300 (grubbs?) and the antenna/splitter are about $60-70 on buy.com. The tuner is made by Clarion for Nissan and is a custom pinout just for Nissan. Other Clarion SAT tuners will not work with the Nissan pre-wire. The Nissan tuner also comes with 3 free months of service I think. (It did for Sirius)
Old 09-13-2005, 11:28 AM
GrandPa

I have XM since it first came out on my othere cars and I paid 325 dollars for it on my Max. I have it in my house, my laptop which is free and installed it in my wife's car. Also installed on two of my daughters cars. I travel alot and love to hear different types of music with no commercials. I am on the family plan. I don't even listen to reg. radio anymore.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:08 PM

Ok, here is my stupid question for today. How can you tell if you have the module in your car already? <--is a new owner of an '04. I know I don't have the antenna but since this car has a leather interior (SE), I think it may have the module already in there somewhere because of the trim level. I'm just not sure where to look.

Thanks for the advice!!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by DTinVA
Ok, here is my stupid question for today. How can you tell if you have the module in your car already? <--is a new owner of an '04. I know I don't have the antenna but since this car has a leather interior (SE), I think it may have the module already in there somewhere because of the trim level. I'm just not sure where to look.

Thanks for the advice!!

look here:
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57
Old 09-13-2005, 02:04 PM

Tek, you're a good man. I don't care what anyone else says about you! j/k

I got the sticker, so that means I have the wiring! Now for stupid question #2 for today. What else would I need to get sat up and going? I know I'd need an antenna and a subscription. Do I get one of the Sirius or XM box receivers or would there already be one in the car somewhere?

I promise to get over the n00biness soon!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by DTinVA
Tek, you're a good man. I don't care what anyone else says about you! j/k

I got the sticker, so that means I have the wiring! Now for stupid question #2 for today. What else would I need to get sat up and going? I know I'd need an antenna and a subscription. Do I get one of the Sirius or XM box receivers or would there already be one in the car somewhere?

I promise to get over the n00biness soon!
you will need the antenna and receivers, they are two parts.. and I've heard sirius is better cause of the scrolling text on the oem screen... I think xm don't have that..
Old 09-13-2005, 02:19 PM

go here:

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...de=MaximaAudio

go to oem radio... then get the antenna
Old 09-13-2005, 02:31 PM

Great instructions!! Now if there was only a Liquid Silver antenna. . .
Old 09-13-2005, 02:42 PM

when i was interested in getting one, I was going to paint it, but you don't have to install it on top of the car.. most people have it on the rear deck with no problems..

Quick Reply: SAT radio question HELP!!!