Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

SAT radio question HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 04:05 PM

XM to Sirus

I bought a new Maxima equipped with XM and would like to go with Sirus instead. Does anyone know what this involves and what the cost is? Does Nissan have some sort of program that would allow customers to swap from one to another? Thanks in advance for any information on this…
Old 10-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes you can swap your xm to sirius....all you need is the brain of the system which I'm sure you know is in your trunk....you can keep the same antenna that's already installed....we do it all the time for our Nissan dealerships....
Old 10-18-2005, 04:12 PM

Likely not....XM is a separate system that uses a different frequency and other proprietary hardware different from Sirius.Why are you switching to Siriuis from XM? Doesn't it come free for a year if you buy it with the car?

Whoops....bad info. What happens when you trust the installers at Circuit City
Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 PM

The XM is free for three months...I live in a very rural area in northern Maine, it appears Sirus has much less outages in the areas that XM has...I also would like to try Sirus to see if there are more channels I would use...Currenly with XM I only use about three. It amazes me that with all those channels that I will listen to three...
Old 10-18-2005, 06:21 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by bertl
The XM is free for three months...I live in a very rural area in northern Maine, it appears Sirus has much less outages in the areas that XM has...I also would like to try Sirus to see if there are more channels I would use...Currenly with XM I only use about three. It amazes me that with all those channels that I will listen to three...
I suggest you call customer service at XM radio and explain your problem to them. Maybe the unit that is in your car has a defect. If its not that, than the signal in you area is no good and I don't think that Sirrus would be any better.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Antenna

I somehow ended up with what I believe is an antenna for the XM unit in my glove box when I picked up my 2005 SE. It is approx 3 and 1/4 inches long and has a 3.5 ft wire attached to it. It also has wing like clips on it I guess connect to visor or something. Does anyone know what this is ?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello I getting off the subject , but i would like to know if anyone out there has added a RCA convertor to your stock radio. If so, could you share instructions on how do you this. I would like to add a couple of subs w/amp. I was also reading that the BOSE speakers sounded good w/a aftermarket HU. I've also read it does not sound well either. Share your AMHU info please. Also did you hook up all speakers ex:all doors and rear panel?

Thanks! Roland
Old 11-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is a little off subject.

The dealership sold me 06 Max, non-bose, that they said was prewired for SATRAD, siruis. Then they call me back a week later for the install had me wait 3 hours and then tell me they can only install it on bose systems. Is this true, and if so what should I do. I already paid for the siruis and would have paid extra for the bose if I had known.

thanks
RJ
Old 11-13-2005, 06:33 AM

Please post more info. What Sirius unit did you buy? If it's a dealer unit, insist they return it. If it's a Plug N Play unit, make sure to have it hardwired. You won't get much hiss that way.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It was supposed to a dealer unit.

I just checked the door jam and the car has the sticker that says it is prewiried for sat radio. When I had bought the car I told them I wanted Sirius radio installed in it. They charged me for the option and said that they would do it. When they called me back to get it installed they said that they could not install it because I do not have the bose radio. This really pissed me off because if that is the case then they should have said something at the piont of sale because I would have gladly switched to the bose unit.

Should I demand another car or tell them to figure out how to get the radio installed.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:07 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by az_rider
It was supposed to a dealer unit.

I just checked the door jam and the car has the sticker that says it is prewiried for sat radio. When I had bought the car I told them I wanted Sirius radio installed in it. They charged me for the option and said that they would do it. When they called me back to get it installed they said that they could not install it because I do not have the bose radio. This really pissed me off because if that is the case then they should have said something at the piont of sale because I would have gladly switched to the bose unit.

Should I demand another car or tell them to figure out how to get the radio installed.
I would demand another car with bose and sat. if they must foot the bill to nissan so be it. someone needs to be liable for the mistakes. you're not the only one that got a sticker slapped on "by accident".

dealer is just as incompetent. they should all know bose is required. non-bose does not even have a SAT button. so how could u get them to "post-wire???"

part of your purchase deal was a Maxima w/ SAT which u paid for.
Make them honor that agreement AND price.

I love my oem Sirius setup. It was the best mod I could do (got mine used).
Oh, and for oem install, only "tough" part is installing the antenna on the roof, hiding the wire. I would install myself, or only have them do the antenna. Mine is on my 3rd brake light inside.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This question is off-topic but somewhat on-topic since someone else mentioned alil about it. I use my carpc as the brains to my audio/video/gps/internet/phone/etc, I have all that I need for hooking up XM to my carpc, however the one primary issue is getting the antenna outside and onto the roof of the car. I purchased a bmw-style sharkfin to use as my antenna enclosure, and was wondering how i get the antenna outside and still have it (the seal around the rear window/roof) water tight, etc?

Thanks