Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Bad RCA on amplifier? would it cause amp to go into protection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Bad RCA on amplifier? would it cause amp to go into protection?

Heyyy well 2night i finally got both my amplifiers in, a jl 500.1 and a kicker KX650.4...the JL seems too be fine....my problem is with the kicker... well when i first turned on the amp/system, it would be on then a pop would go through the speakers and amp would go itno protection.....and keep repeting this process, i narrowed it down too being one of the RCAs, when nothing is plugged into this RCA jack.....amp works fine...... just as long as this one RCa jack is not in use....i thought okay maybe was my RCAs from the head unit...so i used a Y cable , still same problem, so im positive its this jack on the amp...my question is, is the repair of one of these costly? wouldi be better off buyin another amp?. or is there some other suggestions i might be able too try too fix this? for now im just not runningo n that channel..and it seems to be fine, except for at high volumes, which i think is an ohms issue. it cuts off...and comes back on when i lower it?...
Old 05-24-2005, 05:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did you happen to buy the kicker online?
.... bought unauthorized its not uncommon to end up with amps with blown input stages(thats why when you plug the rca in it acts up) Contact Kicker for repair, if apparently you have no warranty.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:21 PM

i found my kickers problem....friggin terminal on the rear left speaker was grounding out on the door panel! doh! but yea my kicker has no warrenty..... the price vr buyin this amp new at an authorized dealer Vr buyin it on ebay......its just about double..... id assume just buy another one off ebay than deal with warrenty claims (unless itso ne of them places with good warrenty services, sound advice ect..) not too mention sell the old carcass on ebay..... oh well this kicker has been going for over a year now..... i thought she failed me...but shes alive!! wahoooo!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well that tells you the speaker short protection works....good luck
Old 05-24-2005, 03:02 PM

thanks for the reply tho...... i was ready to buy a new amp lol.sometimes i jump too conclusions...specially when its been days ive been workin on the car, and bam a problem....