Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Phoenix Gold Amps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Phoenix Gold Amps?

I'm "window-shopping" for amps again, and ran across these Phoenix Gold Octane-R series amps. They're selling them pretty cheap on eBay and was wondering if anybody's had any experience with them. I recall that Phoenix Gold is a good manufacturer of amps, but these look like a brand new line, which for the price (under $200), I'd be interested in getting them to replace my Profile amps that I have now...

The ones I'm specifically looking at are the following:

Phoenix Gold Octane-R 8.0:4 (125Wx4Ch. RMS @ 4-Ohms) = $149+s/h
Phoenix Gold Octane-R 8.0:1 (800Wx1Ch. @ 2-Ohms) = $185+s/h

I'm planning to hook up some components up front (looking at Diamond, Rainbow, etc.) and a 10-12" Kicker L5/L7 for the sub.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2005, 05:57 PM

I'd pass on the octane series...now the old titaniums are nice!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:03 PM

@slickrick...

What's up with the Octane series? I did see they were selling a Phoenix Gold Titanium amp for about $375 or something like that... Too rich for my blood, but I could be wrong...
Old 06-07-2005, 05:36 PM

depends what you are looking for...but a kicker kx600.1 would be far better than any octane series amp IMO.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:47 PM

I have an octane 8.0:1 pushing a JL12w3v2. This amps freakin' pounds. I'm serious. My gain is at half cause I don't wanna blow my sub. I'm only running one sub @4 ohms. Go to 2 ohms and your at 600 RMS. The question is: How much power do you need? What's the RMS on the L7's? You might only need the 5.0:1.

P.S. get a Phoenix gold bass remote on eBay and you'll never go without one again.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:32 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

The Octane series was targeted towards the more younger/budget minded crowd. Nothing of comparability to the Xenon or especially older Ti amps. Basically just a simple entry level/mainstream amp, although they did have a decent amount of problems with them and PGs warranty service is quite slow.

BTW...not a brand new line, theyve been out for about 2.5 years.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:19 PM

I researched quite a bit on the forum at phoenixgold.com and they have a good rep are made with excellent quality. Mine performs flawlessly. Stays nice and cool even after long usage. Let's face it, compared to your Profile and staying within a budget the Octane will blow that amp out of the water.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by slickrick
depends what you are looking for...but a kicker kx600.1 would be far better than any octane series amp IMO.
Why?

Tony
Old 06-08-2005, 07:12 AM

my only real answer is that i love my bro's kicker kx 600.1 (thanks manny )... how cool it stays, the features it has to protect itself from malfunction and how reliable the kx series amps are, the very small size (without the end caps), how the ssf is set a 25hz which is perfect imo for a ported setup, and kickers 3 year warranty if installed by an authorized dealer. oh i like the clean aesthetics, no LED's or extra lighting on it.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:29 AM

researching a PG product on the PG forum for how people like it and if its good isnt such a good idea...

I havent heard anything bad about these amps though, from the people I know that are using them.

I use an older titanium myself, the thing runs hot, but it will live forever.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:10 AM

Specs on the Kicker L-Series subs...

10" L7 (Peak/RMS) = 1,200W/600W
10" L5 (Peak/RMS) = 900W/450W

12" L7 (Peak/RMS) = 1,500W/750W
12" L5 (Peak/RMS) = 1,200W/600W

I'm leaning towards a 10" L5 more than the L7 because I don't really think I'll need all that power since my goal is a rich, clean sounding system - much like when you have a good set of headphones on and you turn it up and you can hear every little detail & the sound is just rich with no distortion or noise... That's what I want!

Thanks for the advice guys! So with that being said, should I look elsewhere for the sub amp instead of the PG Octane Series? If what Gramdacious says is true, then I'll go with the Octanes since the price is right. I was also considering HiFonics amps too... I think it was the Brutus I was looking at.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:55 AM

PItbull- why not actually use a Kx amp, the amps those subs you are looking at were designed around of....the kx600.1 is quite the beast and plenty underated-actually births ~750rms

You want to know how loud 400rms off an Octane amp is to an L7? Ask member Meccanoble, who ran an Octane 5ch.....I've heard sealed L7's with as little as 300rms from better amplifiers **** louder and cleaner. Dont go with dirt cheap class d amps if you expect life out of your subs, its bad enough class d topology heats a subs voice coil over 3 times as much compared to a class a/b.

BTW dont go to factory forums for honest advice- its normaly full of house brand dyckriders. The tantrums, xenons, and titaniums lines are solid if you chose PG.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:18 PM

manny ive heard that statement about class d amps heating coils faster... any valid research on this or just hearsay?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
its bad enough class d topology heats a subs voice coil over 3 times as much compared to a class a/b.
Please explain the physics behind this.

-Robert
Old 06-08-2005, 05:14 PM

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the advice & insight... It would seem to me that the Phoenix Gold Octane-R 800.0:1 @ 800W @ 2-Ohms would be more than enough power for the Kicker L5/L7 in a sealed enclosure, provided I get the right impedance sub (4-Ohm DVC, right?), but it does make sense, Manny, to get the amp that the sub was designed to roll with... I'm looking at it now...

I have decided that I'm going to go with a single 10" Kicker L5 in a sealed enclosure, so I'm looking for a 600W mono Class D amp to run it, since the sub's RMS power is 450W. I would think 600W would be enough...

The other question I have is whether or not to go with a 2-channel amp strictly for the components I'm going to get up front, and let the head unit power the rear 6.5" speakers, or should I just go ahead and get a 4-Channel amp and run everything with it, and just lower the gain on the rear speakers? My head unit is the Pioneer DEH-7400MP CD/MP3 player and the Pioneer EQ6500 equalizer will be accompanying it. The rear speakers will be my Audiobahn AS65C, 6.5" 3-ways (125W RMS/200W Max). I still haven't decided on which components to get for up front, and I'd like to find somewhere in L.A. that sells more of the high-end components so I can compare (MB Quart, Polk Audio, Diamond Audio, Rainbow/Alumapro, etc.) since that's where I want the majority of my investment to go at this point. The shop I got my windows tinted was selling some Kicker separates for $280 (I think they were the RS6 series). He said they're damn good separates, but he didn't have them where I could hear them for myself...

Keep it coming!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Way out West

As an added note about Phoenix Gold amps:

I have an old school PG M44 powering everything in my cabin. They stopped making these like 10 years ago and it still rocks. Super clean and no problems with it whatsoever. Years ago, it powered four Soundstream 8" Reference subs that sounded awesome.

I always told myself I would get something newer, but still haven't found a need. I have a seperate amp for my sub, an older RF bd1000.1. I don't know about the newer stuff, but in the past, I have had very good luck with PG and I would likely buy more of their stuff. BTW, all of my speaker and power wires are PG, too.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Robert_J
Please explain the physics behind this.

-Robert
Better yet call a Image Dynamics and speak to one of their techs and ask
them about their 'love' for class d amps....and get info from a credible source

Or contact Soundstream, as they have it publicly stated on their website....
"T4 woofers require Full Throttle engineering for maximum SPL and power handling.
These SPL machines are made to take the abuse of “Class D” amplification. You see “Class D” amplifiers will over heat a voice coil 2 to 3 times faster than a standard amplifier. We use custom mixed glues along with 18 gauge voice coil windings to handle that extra heat and abuse."
http://www.soundstream.com/sub/products_subs_t4_d.html
Old 06-09-2005, 10:31 AM

yeah the only thing I've heard is from ID exclaiming their hate for class D...although im not buying the SS VC windings as anything different than other subs have already.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:05 AM

Beware the octane series. They are rated at MAX power, not RMS. A marketing technique used to lure in the younger crowd. I'd go with the xenon amp instead. Pretty cheap on ebay.

As for voice coils, any manufacturer who makes a sub that can handle over 800 watts rms and can't forsee the buyer going class D to power it is retarded. If you are going to build a sub that can handle that kinda power, Then you should build it to handle any heat issues that go along with class D. Personally, I've never blown a sub with a class D amp, or blown any in cars i've installed for that matter, so I don't really see this as an issue. Kinda funny though, my av15 will be powered A/b style, purely coincidence
Old 06-09-2005, 11:14 AM

thats because you are soft...
Old 06-09-2005, 11:23 AM

I wouldnt beleive anything I read on a SS webiste.

Power is power, it is distortion that will heat up a coil.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:44 AM

Pitbull,
listen to whoever you want. I ACTUALLY OWN an octane. If you want something that will blow your profile away for a good price don't hesitate. You don't need to run anything at 1 ohm or a half ohm or need any plexiglass coverings. Sure we would all like a Xenon or Titanium, but if your on an Octane budget, you won't be dissatisfied.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Kontakt
Power is power
I agree 100%.

it is distortion that will heat up a coil.
This is where you lose me. How does the wave form of alternating current create heat? Yes, a clipped signal does have short bursts of DC in it but that doesn't cause heat. Amperage + resistance = heat.

-Robert
Old 06-09-2005, 12:55 PM

I wouldnt beleive anything I read on a SS webiste.
Soundstream is a credible company and has built subwoofers for good minute, i'd think they know voice coils...
Old 06-09-2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Soundstream is a credible company and has built subwoofers for good minute, i'd think they know voice coils...
I've always considered them an amp company that just OEMed their subs from one of the many build houses around the US.

-Robert
Old 06-09-2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_J
I've always considered them an amp company that just OEMed their subs from one of the many build houses around the US.

-Robert
designed them...whatever...many companies, other than speak manufacturer themselves do that- nothing new
Old 06-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have their new Xenon amps. They are great. I don't think you would be able to hear a difference between the Xenon and the Octane. I bought the Xenon because I was mounting the amp in a closed trunk and wanted a fan to cool things off.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:43 PM

I think it's funny that you guys dog my Profile amps, but they never gave me any problems whatsoever when I had them in my 3rd Gen. I know they were at the back of the class and all, but they did pass the grade, barely, but they passed

@Gramdacious...
What kind of amp do you have running your interior speakers, and what kind of speakers do you have in there? Components or Coaxials? I'm still considering what everyone is saying, but since you have an Octane and have no complaints, I'm putting more weight on what you're telling me about them. I realize most of the guys making comments here are probably IASCA competitors and have heard systems I could do nothing more than appreciate, but I'm not in any way, shape, or form interested in competition, outside of spectating, that is - I just want a strong & clean sounding system in my new ride that will do more than just turn some heads when I crank it up err' now and again, plus provide me with the quality sound I'm trying to obtain.

Bottom line is this: If the PG Octanes will help provide the sound I'm looking to achieve, with the components I already have and are planning to get, at a "Profile" amp price and without destroying the L5 then I'm ordering the PG Octanes tomorrow...
Old 06-09-2005, 03:34 PM

Pit5bull,

I have an alpine V12 running phoenix gold components up front, as well as MB quart coaxials in the rear. I am however going to replace the V12 and get another octane, to match my sub amp, for my door speakers. Probably the 5.0:4 (around $120). As far as your Profile, I've used amps like this before and they have worked fine for the most part, but once you upgrade you won't go back. The Octanes are built well, the class-Ds stay cool, and I've used PG for years without problems. I've used Soundstream, Precision Power, Alpine, Fosgate, etc. There are many good brands, Phoenix Gold being one of them so if you find a good price chances are you won't regret it. Check my homepage for other pics on the setup. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:08 PM

@Gramadacious...

Thanks, bro. Hopefully we'll see each other at a local meet sometime

My previous amp experience has been only with Rockford Fosgate (my brothers') & HiFonics (which I loved!) I still have a tiny little HiFonics amp somewhere, but I think it was only a 2-channel amp. I look forward to seeing what PG's can produce.

Thanks again to everyone!

Now you can chime in on my other thread regarding which components I should get...
Old 06-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Yeah I need some components soon as well. I think I'm gonna go with MB Quart(while I can still find them new), Diamond Audio, Rainbow, or JL/PG high ends. BTW, I checked out the Hifonics amps and almost bought one. They are nice. Still I love the Octane 8 mono, and the bass **** is f'ing sweet. You gotta check for them on eBay, it's called the "LPL44". Let me know what your looking at as far as components. Later
Old 06-09-2005, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pit5Bull
Bottom line is this: If the PG Octanes will help provide the sound I'm looking to achieve, with the components I already have and are planning to get, at a "Profile" amp price and without destroying the L5 then I'm ordering the PG Octanes tomorrow...
You WON'T be able to hear the difference in any of the amps everyone has been mentioning in this thread. A watt is a watt. The only caveat to this is that amps behave differently when clipping. But, this can be cured by getting an amp that provides enough power for your needs and won't ever (or hardly ever) go into clipping. Your main consideration in choosing an amp should be power, features, size, etc.

Tony
Old 06-10-2005, 09:39 AM

@Gramadacious...

Do you know of a place locally that I can go to listen to the Diamond Audio, Rainbow/Alumapro components? I'd like to hear what they sound like before I get all geeked up about my system...

Let me know!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:09 AM

I actually don't. I haven't heard Rainbows myself but I keep hearing that they are awesome so I need to find a place to listen myself. I always hear about alumapro as well, I should check them out too. I have heard Diamonds and they are crystal clear and loud. I currently have MB quart 2-ways that have taken 8 years of abuse and are still bangin' so I might stay with MB and get some components. But I don't know if any of the major retailers have Diamond/Alumapro/Rainbow that we could listen to. Your in LA? I'm in the Bay Area, but sometimes I'm down south, I shoud drive to a meet down there. I've been to one here and it was weak (like 5 maximas thats it!)
Old 06-10-2005, 10:55 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Try checking the dealer locators at their sites...

Alumapro.com
DiamondAudio.com

Personally I chose the Alumapro ALCs and Most of the Rainbow line over the DAs.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:04 PM

How much do the Alumapro ALCs go for?