Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Possible problems I will encounter with a two amplifier setup on stock alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 01:33 AM

Possible problems I will encounter with a two amplifier setup on stock alternator?

Hey, sometime next week, I should be getting my distribution block so I can be able to hook up my second amplifier to power my single 12" subwoofer and also an extra Infinity Kappa 3-way speaker I will be using in the rear deck. I was wondering if I would encounter any problems with my 2000 maxima with the addition of a second amplifier? I'm not to sure on what can typically malfunction, but if I recall, things like the alternator failing on the vehicle because of various reasons relating to aftermarket audio systems or addition of more then one amplifier. Please help me out. Is it ok to hook up another amplifier, and will I run into any problems with it? I plan on running the amplifiers, subs, and speakers all at full blast at times to show people the work I put into the car, and I just don't want to risk damaging my alternator, if it's a bad idea, I will not add the next alternator, but I'd like to know other's opinions on this. Thank you. :-D
Old 06-24-2005, 05:18 AM

i've had 2 amplifiers in my car since i've had it. my alternator did die but the place that repaired it said it happens all the time to cars that come from circuit city, which is where i had the high's amp installed because i didn't know what i was doing at the time. but since i had that replaced about 7 or 8 months ago i've had no problem.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have 3 amplifiers in my car- no issues. I strongly encourage you to run a nice girth power wire, along with equal girth battery to ground wire, and chassis to ground wire, and power wire lead to the battery from alternator. Its actually quite simple, and inexpensive and goes along way.

Question? what amps are you running? qwhat size power wire they demand each? And what size power wire do you currently run from the battery?

BTW, the only thing that dims in my car is the gauge cluster under heavy volume- no other interior lights do when on at the same time, nor headlights or other electrical avenues affected. No caps, just a good battery and proper wiring/grounding.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:28 AM

Unless your running 1000 watts plus RMS I wouldnt wory much about your electrical system. It will stand up well.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:02 PM

yeah i think the alternator is actually good for almost 2500 watts, but the rest of the car is drawing alot of other power
Old 06-25-2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by GrazsRootz
yeah i think the alternator is actually good for almost 2500 watts, but the rest of the car is drawing alot of other power
what? if your stereo is capable of 2500 watts, that IS the most demanding part of your system if you have it full tilt.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:03 PM

Well my alternator died withen a few weeks after i put in my 2 amp set up, but then again i was most likly running with the stock 114k mile one...so ya cant blame it..... but now that ive replaced it no problems at all, no dimming, with the exception as manny stated the guages, well i really only notice the pesky SES light dimming....... but i also up graded with a 140 amp alternator...our cars came with a descent alternator, 110 amps.....
Old 06-25-2005, 08:42 PM
我爱台湾

Been running 2 amps since I got the Max. No problems except I did kill a Yellowtop once. On the second one now with no problems. I did beef up the stock electrical system recently with the BIG 3 but still have one more piece to do to make it complete.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:56 AM

Also, should I look to install a larger fuse in my fuse holder for the addition of the second amplifier? Normally what would be a good sized fuse to stick into the fuse holder at the battery?
Old 07-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

@snair...

You need to have a fuse on your main power line that's about 12" from the battery that will equal the amp draw of BOTH amps (For example, I have two amps, one draws 50A and the other 60A, so the main fuse needs to be at least 110A - In my situation, I couldn't find one that small, so I have a 150A main fuse on the primary power line, and since I have two amps, you have to have each amp protected by a fuse equal to the respective amp's draw, so I have a 50A fuse and a 60A fuse for each amp in my distro block, respectively.) I'm a big fan of bi-amplification, and I did my homework before I installed my system, but once you've done your homework (including asking all the right questions, like you're doing now), everything makes sense and you shouldn't have any problems - at the very least, you shouldn't let anybody take advantage of you if you're not doing the installation yourself.

Good luck, and I hope this answers your question